Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

I will try to look for some cables and maybe DIY with the connector head. May i check if those electrical wire will work? Like those black/red insulation cables (inside is probably also strains of copper wires)

If you have spare electrical cable, no harm trying. Untwist about 12 cm of the cable to form the "T". No need to strip the insulation. Right now I don't have a male IEC plug for the tv connection to test out. Will try to improvise one when I am in the mood.
Yes, indeed it works. Because the cables are not stiff, I have to use scotch tape to hold down the black and red cables to form the "T" on a wooden ruler.

Below are the results, using Draco stb:

• Chan 27 >90/98 (Signal Intensity/Pic Quality)
  • Chan 29 >90/98
  • Chan 31 >90/98
  • Chan 33 >90/98
  • Chan 38 ~90/98
:s12:

kssk88

Reaction score
May I know where can I get the T2 set-top box locally? Any thing to look out for before buying? Any good recommendation of models?

There are MDA approved model available at NTUC,Courts etc

I got mine from Indonesia through a friend from Jakarta ~$40

I have T2 TV as well and personally I do not prefer set top box as it requires additional power when viewing.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score

I have T2 TV as well and personally I do not prefer set top box as it requires additional power when viewing.

And also juggling two remotes, the stb and TV set is troublesome too. :)

tan1688

Reaction score

Please be careful when you get Indonesia GetmecomHD9 models,etc because of complaints the scan frequency goes to max of 600+MHz only, dvbt2 specification frequencies goes to 890MHz the GSM frequency range.

power consumption of typical dvbt2 receiver is ~6.7watts normal operation, is nothing compared to aircon, fridge, washing machine, tv :s22:

I measured aircon single room is 900W-1100W :eek: you will be shocked

aMu3nzGP7GmjY69JlH4zgl8ocGp8uN0El4ioU0FQq68=w132-h176-p-no

Last edited:

Windowlover

Reaction score
That's the beauty of dvb-t and t2 technology. You will always see perfect picture even when the signal is less than perfect. If the signal drops below the threshold, the picture just freezes. There may be occasional pixelation just before picture freezes. I supposed you have not come across such situation yet.

Yes, you are right.. pictures still perfect and not until that stage yet. Hope it never comes. :)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Please be careful when you get Indonesia GetmecomHD9 models,etc because of complaints the scan frequency goes to max of 600+MHz only, dvbt2 specification frequencies goes to 890MHz the GSM frequency range.

Terrestrial digital tv broadcast make use of existing channels as defined in Band III VHF, Bands IV and V UHF. The tv channels end at chan 69 (854 - 862MHz)

Nowhere in the DVB-T2 standard (ETSI EN 302 755 V1.3.1 (2012-04)) can I find a requirement stating that the frequency range goes to 890MHz. For that matter, no frequency range is mentioned at all in the standard.

In the Singapore DVB-T2 standard, the frequency range is stated as shown below:

t6dHbcP.jpg

vkvkvvk

Master Member
Reaction score
If I currently have 4 led/lcd TVs around my house but none of them support DVB-T2, does that mean I have to get 4 dvb t2 digital set top box :s11:

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I currently have 4 led/lcd TVs around my house but none of them support DVB-T2, does that mean I have to get 4 dvb t2 digital set top box :s11:
Unfortunately yeah.....

I'll rather not buy.... Mediacorp channels what's for? Rather spend that money to climb Mt StarHub.....

vkvkvvk

Master Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately yeah.....

I'll rather not buy.... Mediacorp channels what's for? Rather spend that money to climb Mt StarHub.....

Wa.....:( I personally don't watch any local channels at all. It's my parents that need it. Each TV has quite a decent PC connecting to it using lan points from wall socket though but they don't know how to use a computer..

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Wa.....:( I personally don't watch any local channels at all. It's my parents that need it. Each TV has quite a decent PC connecting to it using lan points from wall socket though but they don't know how to use a computer..
I assume your tv sets already have dvb-t tuners built-in. If they are happy with the reception for analogue tv and the t channels, they don't miss much.

I have a dvb-t2 set top box but nobody at home is interested. They prefer to watch analogue versions - one man's meat is another man's poison.

tan1688

Reaction score

My suggestion is to have living room have dvbt2 receiver
so more people can watch in high definition, since living
room tv is usually the largest, can impress your guest visiting
also.

Room TV's are usually smaller 32inch so it might not matter
but could get in future. If you stay in east coast park or bedok,
could get even indonesian SCTV, RCTI channels song dah :s12:

Yes, you are right mr sun the scan frequency is at max 862MHz.
Sorry my mistake.

Last edited:

vkvkvvk

Master Member
Reaction score
For now probably won't be getting at all but when the analogue channels are switched off in a few years time, means by then really need to get one for each tv?

oddbasket

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a STB, currently any that will cover everything, including decode AAC5.1 and output multichannel?

tan1688

Reaction score
For now probably won't be getting at all but when the analogue channels are switched off in a few years time, means by then really need to get one for each tv?

err, if you get dvbt2 receiver today, can start enjoying high definition from day one, instead of say 2 years later :s11:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Switch off probably by 2020. By then or earlier, you may need to buy new tv sets, with dvb-t2 tuners built-in. Nowadays things are not made to last as long as they used to be:)

precise

Reaction score
Unfortunately yeah.....

I have similar issue.

I notice current dtv receiver set top box has an antenna out. Can this feed into multiple TV? Probably through some signal amplifier?

If it's possible, I will disconnect cable tv main source which is currently feeding all my extended cable tv point and feed the antenna out signal to it as the signal source. Not too sure if any bro here tried.

Plan to start this little project soon. And of course in this case the dtv set top box will be on 24 hours to feed signal. Wonder why the relevant authorities don't to implement central antenna like current for the digital TV. It really mind boggling for all of us to spent effort and time for the migration.

ezowulf

Master Member
Reaction score
I have similar issue.

I notice current dtv receiver set top box has an antenna out. Can this feed into multiple TV? Probably through some signal amplifier?

If it's possible, I will disconnect cable tv main source which is currently feeding all my extended cable tv point and feed the antenna out signal to it as the signal source. Not too sure if any bro here tried.

Plan to start this little project soon. And of course in this case the dtv set top box will be on 24 hours to feed signal. Wonder why the relevant authorities don't to implement central antenna like current for the digital TV. It really mind boggling for all of us to spent effort and time for the migration.

you do understand that channel changing still have to go through the receiver right?

doomgaze86

Reaction score
I have similar issue.

Are you talking about using the Draco as a passthrough? It works for me, much like how old VCRs/DVD Recorders worked.

My dad's setup is like so:

Wall socket (connected to roof antenna) -> Draco antenna in -> Draco antenna out -> TV Antenna in

This allows him to watch/record 2 different channels simultaneously (his TV has PVR functions too).

Only issue I have so far is that the Draco's interface is pretty useless and poorly designed. I would have expected there to be a series record function, or an option to record from Monday - Friday, but I can't seem to find anything other than Weekly, Daily and Once. Anyone have any idea about this? If there is no such option, I guess my workaround would be to use his TV (which can schedule recordings from Mon-Fri) to record HD8 and the Draco to record HD5.

precise

Reaction score
Are you talking about using the Draco as a passthrough? It works for me, much like how old VCRs/DVD Recorders worked.

My dad's setup is like so:

Wall socket (connected to roof antenna) -> Draco antenna in -> Draco antenna out -> TV Antenna in

This allows him to watch/record 2 different channels simultaneously (his TV has PVR functions too).

Only issue I have so far is that the Draco's interface is pretty useless and poorly designed. I would have expected there to be a series record function, or an option to record from Monday - Friday, but I can't seem to find anything other than Weekly, Daily and Once. Anyone have any idea about this? If there is no such option, I guess my workaround would be to use his TV (which can schedule recordings from Mon-Fri) to record HD8 and the Draco to record HD5.

If I get you correctly,

1. Wall socket (connected to roof antenna) -> Draco antenna in -> Draco antenna out -> TV Antenna in

2. Wall socket (connected to roof antenna) -> Draco antenna in -> HDMI to TV (without DVB T2 receiver)

For (1), I believe your dad's TV has built-in DTB T2 receiver. So the Draco Antenna out is a pass-through to your dad's TV. While (2), it is likely a TV without DVB T2 receiver but connected to Darco via HDMI.

Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.