Wireless IP Camera thread

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Wide angle helps but PTZ is invaluable to me. Even with PTZ, I usually have at least 2 cameras per room and I still find that my kids can be off cameras. For my living room for example, I have 4 cameras and still can't see my kids sometimes.

Of course if your kids hide under the bed then 10 cameras also cannot see ah, right?

Your cameras' horizontal angle must be small (like my DLINK cameras) or you have not located the cameras strategically. Alternatively, re-arrange your furniture/wardrobe to prevent dead angles.

Last edited:

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
So samsung ip camera have dual band wifi. Tats something I like. But again. Seems tat software is having problem?

So, it supports how much of storage? 32 or 64gb?

Btw, video streaming wise. No stuttering as in the video have not lag rite? How about over 3G?

u make me feel like buying 1 n opening it up to see what chipset they r using. Keke

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

So samsung ip camera have dual band wifi. Tats something I like. But again. Seems tat software is having problem?

So, it supports how much of storage? 32 or 64gb?

Btw, video streaming wise. No stuttering as in the video have not lag rite? How about over 3G?

u make me feel like buying 1 n opening it up to see what chipset they r using. Keke

Software no problem. Just know the correct way to quit when using Note 3 will do lah. S4 mini do not have such issues.

It supports up to 64GB of microSDXC (FAT32) memory card

Tested with a few seconds of lag even using home WiFi network but video is smooth without stutter. WiFi tested with smooth video in my office. StarHub 4G too. Tested with Singtel 3G (with H+) and video is smooth too

Last edited:

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Of course if your kids hide under the bed then 10 cameras also cannot see ah, right?

Your cameras' horizontal angle must be small (like my DLINK cameras) or you have not located the cameras strategically. Alternatively, re-arrange your furniture/wardrobe to prevent dead angles.

That's the thing. My kids are not even attempting to hide. They could be just reading, playing etc. in a corner or blind spot. The only camera that I have that can cover one room (a small room though) is my dLink DCS-6010L camera in fish-eye mode. Even then, I can't see them if they are sitting down or behind a desk. Outside, I can have one camera covering the 4 car park spaces in my pouch, but that means I can't see the gate nor the sides of the house.

Anyway, I bought the Samsung camera for testing. Robert Chou's program IP Cam Viewer supports Samsung cameras but not SNH-P6410BN model. Will see if other models work.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

That's the thing. My kids are not even attempting to hide. They could be just reading, playing etc. in a corner or blind spot. The only camera that I have that can cover one room (a small room though) is my dLink DCS-6010L camera in fish-eye mode. Even then, I can't see them if they are sitting down or behind a desk. Outside, I can have one camera covering the 4 car park spaces in my pouch, but that means I can't see the gate nor the sides of the house.

Anyway, I bought the Samsung camera for testing. Robert Chou's program IP Cam Viewer supports Samsung cameras but not SNH-P6410BN model. Will see if other models work.

That means your cameras' viewing angles are small like my DLINKs

This model SNH-P6410BH has no ip address available to users so 3rd party software on the handphone cannot be used. No ip address also means simplicity in the camera setting up process. It's unlike DLINK or others which allow dual setup i.e. using their cloud and can have an ip address for users

On the PC/laptop I believe you can open many web pages to view the other cameras otherwise register with different emails and access SAMSUNG sever to view the other cameras

Last edited:

user109s

Reaction score
Wide angle lens on IPcam is hard to comeby. The best I see is a 3.6mm F1.2. Hardly see 24mm F1.2 unless pro cam. Most of the cam is 3.6mm >F2.0. Often is 6mm F2.4 is becos it sells cheaper price.. :)

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Wide angle lens on IPcam is hard to comeby. The best I see is a 3.6mm F1.2. Hardly see 24mm F1.2 unless pro cam. Most of the cam is 3.6mm >F2.0. Often is 6mm F2.4 is becos it sells cheaper price.. :)

The Samsung SNH-P6410BH ip camera comes with 111 deg Horizontal angle. So is it wide enough?

user109s

Reaction score
Generally PTZ has around 300 to 400 degree. Fixed cam like outdoor dome or bullet type, 111 degree is a good viewing angle. The only concern is what is focal length. Of course the smallest number the best. The trade off is you have to pay more, for the better picture. May be gecko can share some info.. :D

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Generally PTZ has around 300 to 400 degree. Fixed cam like outdoor dome or bullet type, 111 degree is a good viewing angle. The only concern is what is focal length. Of course the smallest number the best. The trade off is you have to pay more, for the better picture. May be gecko can share some info.. :D

PTZ can PTZ lah. Cannot compare them to fixed type, right?

Generally, cameras for home use have a limited viewing distance of about 5 to 7m to recognize a person. Further than that you can see but will have some difficulty in recognizing the person. This becomes worse with distance and without optical zooming.

user109s

Reaction score
True, so dome/bullet type often has a lot option to choose, unlike PTZ. Much depend on how deep it's your pocket lor.. :s13:

For me, PTZ is good enough for the job in close area and indoor. Of course, everyone has their own purpose on how to make use of the cams. :D

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

True, so dome/bullet type often has a lot option to choose, unlike PTZ. Much depend on how deep it's your pocket lor.. :s13:

For me, PTZ is good enough for the job in close area and indoor. Of course, everyone has their own purpose on how to make use of the cams. :D

PTZ camera is good for complementing fixed type cameras where dead zones cannot be covered by the latter. It is not good for recording purpose while panning.

:D

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
A wide angle is needed if your room is wide but not deep. If your room is both wide and deep, you won't be able to get a clear view of the objects further away. That's where optical zoom cameras come in. To date, I believe optical zoom are found mostly on PTZ cameras. A camera like the DCS-5635 has 10x optical zoom. It can even let me zoom into my house alarm panel to see which door or window is open. But the cost is over $1k!

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

A wide angle is needed if your room is wide but not deep. If your room is both wide and deep, you won't be able to get a clear view of the objects further away. That's where optical zoom cameras come in. To date, I believe optical zoom are found mostly on PTZ cameras. A camera like the DCS-5635 has 10x optical zoom. It can even let me zoom into my house alarm panel to see which door or window is open. But the cost is over $1k!

Depth of a room can be managed by installing more cameras. As mentioned most cameras for household use can only recognize a person for about 5 - 7m. If you have a room which is 10m in length then covering by 2 cameras (installed opposite one another) will be much better than getting a PTZ with optical zoom. If you need wide angled cameras here by all means use them.

I do have an intrusion detection system installed in my house for windows, door and smoke alarms. When activated it'll send a message and ring my handphone with voice playback for that particular alarm indicating which window/door is open or smoke in which area of the house. Don't understand why you need to zoom in to the control panel to see which alarm (window or door open) goes off.

I also have a wireless alarm system for my elderly to alert my maid. It has a panic button which activates 5 wireless alarms (powered by AC mains) in case she needs the maid's attention.

In short, I have

1) Video monitoring and surveillance system using ip cameras
2) An intrusion detection system for windows, door and smoke detection
3) A wireless system for my elderly

Last edited:

user109s

Reaction score
Dr_ARCHer & Apparatus,

As I mentioned, everyone has their own purpose to get zoom/non-zoom PTZ, bullet cam and etc. All add-up to serve one purpose, monitoring right? ;)

I have 4 cams; one fixed & 3 PTZ. I use fixed near my gate to see who's the visitors. I don't answer the door every time when door bell rings. I don't mean to be rude but sometime I just don't have the mood to entertain. You know what I mean.. :s13:

Still, if I have extra pocket $$, I will get some cheap cam to play with.. :)

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
This model SNH-P6410BH has no ip address available to users so 3rd party software on the handphone cannot be used. No ip address also means simplicity in the camera setting up process. It's unlike DLINK or others which allow dual setup i.e. using their cloud and can have an ip address for users

For any device to utilize your network, it must have an internal IP address, either via a static IP or via DHCP. If the SNH-P6410BH has no IP address available, then how is it going to be recognised as a valid device within your network?

I have managed to set up the SNH-P6410BH such that it has IP address. Only problem now is I do not know what is the UserID to use. The set-up doesn't seem to specify a UserID. I need the UserID for IP Cam Viewer to work with SNH-P6410BH.

Update: Finally managed to set up the SNH-P6410BH with Robert Chou's IP Cam Viewer. Set-up is via the traditional DDNS and portforwarding. The app has a driver for Samsung SmartCam. Choose that, UserID is admin with the first 8 characters of the private key. I think there is a bug in the firmware. I can't set it up if I use Fixed IP address for the IP Camera. I need to use DHCP dynamic IP address before it works. If I use the fixed IP address, the subnet mask keeps defaulting to 255.255.240.0 instead of 255.255.255.0, and the gateway keeps going back to 0.0.0.0.

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

For any device to utilize your network, it must have an internal IP address, either via a static IP or via DHCP. If the SNH-P6410BH has no IP address available, then how is it going to be recognised as a valid device within your network?

I have managed to set up the SNH-P6410BH such that it has IP address. Only problem now is I do not know what is the UserID to use. The set-up doesn't seem to specify a UserID. I need the UserID for IP Cam Viewer to work with SNH-P6410BH.

Update: Finally managed to set up the SNH-P6410BH with Robert Chou's IP Cam Viewer. Set-up is via the traditional DDNS and portforwarding. The app has a driver for Samsung SmartCam. Choose that, UserID is admin with the first 8 characters of the private key. I think there is a bug in the firmware. I can't set it up if I use Fixed IP address for the IP Camera. I need to use DHCP dynamic IP address before it works. If I use the fixed IP address, the subnet mask keeps defaulting to 255.255.240.0 instead of 255.255.255.0, and the gateway keeps going back to 0.0.0.0.

That's great! SAMSUNG don't provide a utility to find the camera's ip address like DLINK.

I'm using ASUS AC68U router and when I set up using Robert Chou's IP Cam Viewer the Host/ip is ipcameras.asuscomm.com. I believe it's using ASUS server. I cannot get any video feed after setting up. That is to say if I've multiple SAMSUNG cameras the Host/ip is still ipcameras.asuscomm.com

I believe I need to setup the ip addresses of the cameras in the ASUS router before they can work

And what is the 'private key'? Is that the password for the camera or the password to access my network?

Last edited:

user109s

Reaction score
Maybe Korean designer thinks otherwise. I guess this the first korean IPcam try to enter the market. Need to polish more properly bf it can produce a better product but make no mistake. It burns your pocket.. ;)

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
The Samsung camera is configured to work on dynamic IP address. If you look at the DHCP server of the router, you can find out which IP address is given out to the camera. Then, use a browser to connect to that IP address. When you do so, you will be asked to provide a private key, which is actually the password to assessing the camera.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.