Is Macbook Pro recommended for ISM?

cyberdapian

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I will be joining SMU's SIS this coming school term. I will need a laptop for my course. I thought of getting a Macbook Pro but I heard from people that is not advisable to do so for my course, BSc (Information System Management). Any current student or anyone able to clarify? Thanks!

idiotboi89

Reaction score
we have alot of is students that are using Macbook. There are some cases where they only support windows for labs. But you can always run windows on a mac.

Just go for it if you like it, many have told me that once you go mac you will never turn back..

JinYuan

Reaction score
i've the exact same question.!
To add on, will there be software that is required and will have problem running on bootcamp?

Also When will the laptop promo for AY2014-2015 be made known to us?

Last edited:

bryant_16

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't think there will be any problems running them as your seniors have already done so.

metastate

Reaction score
If you already have a Macbook, use it. If you are looking to buy a comp for SIS, i would suggest you avoid macbook.

Though some people use Macbook here, they practically run bootcamp all the time. This is because it is mandatory for you to operate in Windows for some of the courses. Though you can use Macintosh os for some non-programming modules, you will get sick of switching over time and subject your Macbook as an overpriced windows machine. So don't.

Besides, we need good specs in IS. So if you want to get a Macbook, avoid Macbook Air and instead go for a high end Macbook pro. Get the best processor and 8Gb Ram. Get 256 GB SSD. If you are rich, go ahead and get the macbook you so crave about.

For me, I personally sold my macbook pro as soon as I learnt I'm not using Mac for two years. This is because though bootcamp is possible, mac usually comes with lousy specs for Windows platform and bootcamp will make it less optimized than a normal windows laptop.

My advice? Get a windows laptop.

Avoid the school vendors. Their laptop spoil easily. I would suggest aftershock as you can customize your hardware to your needs. Even if you are a nongamer, aftershock laptop is also well worth the money. Their service is excellent too.

Must Get Specs
- i7 processor
-8gb ram at least
- 256GB SSD

All the best.

reisha

Reaction score
If you already have a Macbook, use it. If you are looking to buy a comp for SIS, i would suggest you avoid macbook.

Though some people use Macbook here, they practically run bootcamp all the time. This is because it is mandatory for you to operate in Windows for some of the courses. Though you can use Macintosh os for some non-programming modules, you will get sick of switching over time and subject your Macbook as an overpriced windows machine. So don't.

Besides, we need good specs in IS. So if you want to get a Macbook, avoid Macbook Air and instead go for a high end Macbook pro. Get the best processor and 8Gb Ram. Get 256 GB SSD. If you are rich, go ahead and get the macbook you so crave about.

For me, I personally sold my macbook pro as soon as I learnt I'm not using Mac for two years. This is because though bootcamp is possible, mac usually comes with lousy specs for Windows platform and bootcamp will make it less optimized than a normal windows laptop.

Avoid the school vendors. Their laptop spoil easily. I would suggest aftershock as you can customize your hardware to your needs. Even if you are a nongamer, aftershock laptop is also well worth the money. Their service is excellent too.

Must Get Specs
- i7 processor
-8gb ram at least
- 256GB SSD

All the best.

Good explanation. I have a friend in SIS, however he's using MAC. Not an issue for him though. You can use parallel desktop instead of bootcamp. Just purchased it online or get it online ;)

bucklau

Reaction score

Must Get Specs
- i7 processor
-8gb ram at least
- 256GB SSD

All the best.

Hi, there is a PC show coming and Aftershock is offering XG13-V2 for $1835 but no SSD. Is it a must to have a SSD especially for SIS students? and should I choose windows 8.1 or windows 8.1 pro and does it really matter?

Bonadaly

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, there is a PC show coming and Aftershock is offering XG13-V2 for $1835 but no SSD. Is it a must to have a SSD especially for SIS students? and should I choose windows 8.1 or windows 8.1 pro and does it really matter?

Get Alienware or Dell. Should be good enough.

Avoid Sucksung or Assus....

ussr_1991

Banned
Reaction score
Good explanation. I have a friend in SIS, however he's using MAC. Not an issue for him though. You can use parallel desktop instead of bootcamp. Just purchased it online or get it online ;)

Personally, I do not recommend to use a virtual machine for programming purpose. This is because unless your laptop comes with 16GB, it might not be fast enough for that.

Remember that the bare minimum specs for OSX and Windows (7 / 8 / 8.1) are 2GB each.

And depends on which IDE (Integrated Development Environment) you use (Microsoft Visual Studio / Eclipse etc etc) and the size of the project, I do not think 8GB RAM is fast enough.

brokenshardz

Reaction score
8GB RAM is fast enough for virtual machines. For the level of programming you do in SIS, it is sufficient. I use Windows in my first two years because the specs on MacBook Pro was not comparable with Windows laptop back then. But after that, I switched to MacBook Air cuz the specs are about the same. Additional draw is that you can code for iOS devices.

Minimum spec I recommend regardless of system:
i7 processor
8GB RAM
7200RPM 500GB/1TB harddisk (if you got the money to spare, minimally 240GB SSD)

zevorc

Reaction score
I had the same dilemma as you before joining ism, I choose the Mac Pro and have never turned back.

In school I run on Mac OS all the time even though I have boot camp installed, never had to boot more than 3 times into windows. Programming in Mac is even better than on a Windows machine as it is based on a Unix terminal. What's more is that Mac's apps are of high quality, functionality with good UK.

Having said this, it takes a certain level of tech savviness to code in Mac, not that it's any harder just different.

nanaheng

Reaction score
I generally like the Apple OS interfaces. So for me, it's the Macbook Pro ftw. But sometimes weight can be an issue, the Pro can kill your shoulders especially together with the charger.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.