New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

momo21

Reaction score
can be done, just re-route the cables.
For mine, bring all telephone cat 6 cable down below the circuit breaker, left the TP and the starhub cable up there.

If you shift down the ultility panel, there is no more space to put ont, patch panel and rest of networking stuff.

I have the same problem.Can advise how to convert the phone points

mavicaste

Reaction score
This is the network plan for my new BTO flat.

From the TP in the utility box, I run my own fibre patch cord to the TV console area so that the ONT can be placed at the TV console. The reason behind this is that I want it to be more accessible instead of being hidden away in the utility box. In the event that I want to subscribe to internet from a provider and pay-TV from another, I will also have more flexibility this way.

From the TV console area, I have an 8-port patch panel (integrated into the TV console) with 8 cable runs to the study, of which 2 are for the link between the ONT and the wireless router. The remaining 6 will be connected to the 24-port switch in the study via 2 12-port patch panels (again integrated into the study desk shelves).

Another 8-port patch panel (integrated in the study desk) as well as 8 other points (using keystones and dual-port faceplates) in the other 2 bedrooms will also be connected to the switch via the 2 12-port patch panels.

Lastly, one more cable run between the wireless router and the switch is required to provide the internet access to all the data points.

NetworkPlan.jpg

I got an agreement for my electrician to run all the cabling with trunking for a flat fee of $150, with the cat6 cables provided by me. For the patch panel and keystone punchdown terminations, I will be doing them on my own.

Last edited:

AhKar

Reaction score
Hi mavicaste

Can help to answer questions below, bcos also considering similar arrangement. Tks.
1. How many fibre patch cable was used? 2 to get 2 point from the TP to the ONT?
2. Can share what type of fibre patch cable you used?
Fibre Broadband Patch Cord (SC/APC)
Armoured Fibre Broadband Patch Cord (SC/APC)
3. Any faceflate use for the fibre cable at the ONT side? or direct connection with fibre cable?

AhKar

Reaction score
Thank you, saw this blog before, but would like to maintain the analogue phone line for use.

Although I was told by a contractor that he could convert all to RJ45 while maintaining the RJ11 in living room functional.

But afraid that it may affect subscription for MIO TV or ADSL in future.

FanFreak

Reaction score
I have the same problem.Can advise how to convert the phone points

This is my setup behind the utility closet

TP -> ONT -> router -> managed switch -> 2 points in each rm and a BYON NAS

all the cat6 cables and fibre from opennet have been shifted below the circuit breaker

IMG_3903.JPG

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is the network plan for my new BTO flat.

From the TP in the utility box, I run my own fibre patch cord to the TV console area so that the ONT can be placed at the TV console. The reason behind this is that I want it to be more accessible instead of being hidden away in the utility box. In the event that I want to subscribe to internet from a provider and pay-TV from another, I will also have more flexibility this way.

From the TV console area, I have an 8-port patch panel (integrated into the TV console) with 8 cable runs to the study, of which 2 are for the link between the ONT and the wireless router. The remaining 6 will be connected to the 24-port switch in the study via 2 12-port patch panels (again integrated into the study desk shelves).

Another 8-port patch panel (integrated in the study desk) as well as 8 other points (using keystones and dual-port faceplates) in the other 2 bedrooms will also be connected to the switch via the 2 12-port patch panels.

Lastly, one more cable run between the wireless router and the switch is required to provide the internet access to all the data points.

NetworkPlan.jpg

I got an agreement for my electrician to run all the cabling with trunking for a flat fee of $150, with the cat6 cables provided by me. For the patch panel and keystone punchdown terminations, I will be doing them on my own.

For BTO flat, is the TP already installed? Move the TP to the location of the TV?

Last edited:

FoodieFC

Reaction score
Does converting all the telephone points to "data" points (RJ45 Lan points) mean that it can be used for plugging in telephones too?

siaoz85

Reaction score
My Home Network Setup

Hi guys,

Just wanna share my home network setup. I wanted all rooms to be lan up.

My new BTO flat already had a lan port in the living room near the tv console area.

All 3 rooms are wired by hdb with CAT 6 cables but are using telephone ports.

This is what i did:

- MBR telephone port was on the wall where the bed is. Too far from my expected TV console area. Therefore, I did not convert that port. Instead, I laid a new lan wiring from living room to my MBR Tv console area.

- Remaining 2 rooms telephone ports were converted to lan ports.

- Installed a shoe cabinet with a open concept compartment for my wireless router beside my utility box. I then drilled a hole through the wall in between the cabinet and utility box so that I can insert a telephone cable and a lan cable (Belden) over to my open concept cabinet where my Wireless Router (Starhub's Dlink AC router) and future cordless phone will be.

- The lan port linking to my living room inside my utility box is shifted into my open concept cabinet. The remaining end of my 3 bedroom lan points are also shifted from my utility box to the open concept cabinet.

To prevent confusion, do note that my pics would look slightly different as I have changed the utility white wooden door to a mirror door.

Here are the pics to my setup. Sorry as my cables are a bit messy.

Just to share, the position of my cabinet is directly facing the passage way which leads to all my rooms. The location would allow better wireless connectivity to all my rooms with at least 2 bars of wireless signal and having a open concept cabinet for the wireless router would not block any signals.

I am using Starhub Homehub 200Mbps Fiber plan.

This is my local speedtest results.

And this is my international speed test results.

Note: I have ever tested and hit full 200Mbps speed for both upload and download but tested at a different timing.

If you guys have any other questions, please ask away. Happy to share my experience.

Myu~sun

Master Member
Reaction score
Tower . Anyway going Sl tower to get some for my new flat in yishun .. Anyone know roughly how much does the tester cost ?

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
Bookmarked.. I'm surprised my new bto is telephone points instead of Lan points. Whoever designed it in HDB...stupid la.

When the time comes to convert my stuff in nov, will refer to the thread again, thanks.

mavicaste

Reaction score
Hi mavicaste

Can help to answer questions below, bcos also considering similar arrangement. Tks.
1. How many fibre patch cable was used? 2 to get 2 point from the TP to the ONT?
2. Can share what type of fibre patch cable you used?
Fibre Broadband Patch Cord (SC/APC)
Armoured Fibre Broadband Patch Cord (SC/APC)
3. Any faceflate use for the fibre cable at the ONT side? or direct connection with fibre cable?

Have not been here for a while.

1. Just one fibre patch cord was used, you can lay a second one for redundancy if you wish oy. I only lay extra network cable for my main link between ONT at TV console and router in study.

2. I bought the standard fibre cord to save cost

3. Just direct connection to ONT

For more details, please refer to my reno blog at http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62881-4-years-in-the-making-punggol-emerald/page-10#entry859629

jayjay07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have not been here for a while.

1. Just one fibre patch cord was used, you can lay a second one for redundancy if you wish oy. I only lay extra network cable for my main link between ONT at TV console and router in study.

2. I bought the standard fibre cord to save cost

3. Just direct connection to ONT

For more details, please refer to my reno blog at 4 Years In The Making (Punggol Emerald) - Page 10 - Reno t-Blog Chat - RenoTalk.com ™
hi, mavicaste

from civicguy confirming new BTO having Cat6 cable phone lines, so we can convert those phone line points to LAN points?

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
hi, mavicaste

from civicguy confirming new BTO having Cat6 cable phone lines, so we can convert those phone line points to LAN points?

Yes.. Confirmed can do so.. I converted all my phone lines end point to network points..

Read this link.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.