Intel LAN VS Killer LAN

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Nowadays most motherboards come with either Intel LAN or Killer LAN, so what are the differences between these two chipsets?

fsk0lsl4nfkanga6g.jpg

What is Killer LAN?
Killer LAN uses Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2205 & E2200 chipsets.
Killer Technology | Qualcomm Atheros, Inc.

What is Intel LAN?
Intel Lan uses Intel Ethernet Technology 82579 & 82580 and other model chipsets.
Intel® Ethernet Controllers

How Killer LAN work?
Killer LAN uses software to optimize Atheros NIC chips to allocate important application task to provide more bandwidth to improve internet connection.

How Intel LAN work?
Intel LAN uses hardware based accelerator to improve incoming and outgoing network traffic.

Intel LAN vs Killer LAN, which is better?
kfoifcp8bupq64t6g.jpg

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both are great in their own ways, anything more than Realtek and Qualcomm Atheros

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How Killer LAN work?
Killer LAN uses software to optimize Atheros NIC chips to allocate important application task to more bandwidth to improve internet connection.

Smlj improve internet connection? You got no idea what you're talking about do you? :s22:

Rock-kun

Reaction score
The disadvantage about KILLER NICs is that, because their advanced QoS capabilities are software based, they are essentially OS-dependant.

If you use a KILLER NIC on a non-Windows operatins system like Linux, the Linux kernel will simply load the correct chipset driver (if it's present in the kernel, and should be; Atheros chipsets are typically very well supported by Linux), and it will work as a basic NIC.

Intel NICs, bcause of their hardware-based logic, are OS-agonistic. As long as the operating system has a driver for it, it is possible to enjoy its benefits.

And besides, i see most boards shipping with either Ralink or Realtek onboard NICs. To date, i have never bought a board that shipped with an Atheros KILLER or Intel NIC. And I would pay a premium for the latter.

Both are great in their own ways, anything more than Realtek and Qualcomm Atheros

The KILLER NIC is a souped up Atheros NIC.

Last edited:

hengheng220

Master Member
Reaction score
hahahaha i think the asus guy saw the arguement the other day at the other thread thats why open this thread. IMO, both are good ba... Killer have a better software to optimized the bandwidth on the game while intel on the other side is better in hardware, however software wise is not as good as the Killer.

bornerwave

Master Member
Reaction score
Agree with Jian sia, the internet traffic going in and out of your border router lousy also no difference isn't it? Or am I wrong :s11:

allhomme

Master Member
Reaction score
ISP cap chiu, chiu oso LPPL right?

router chui oso no use right?

unless you got PCIe F/O converter then direct plug to opennet

coloumbiaGames

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISP cap chiu, chiu oso LPPL right?

router chui oso no use right?

unless you got PCIe F/O converter then direct plug to opennet

As far as I know
Plugging the fiber directly from OpenNet GPON into SFP / PC won't work.

If not we should see some hardcore networking equipment pictures :s13:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is good and bad in either intel or killer lan.

It all boils down to users on what they need.

Killer uses software based to allocate the bandwidth via prioritising users more control on what they need or want. And pretty much very idoit proof to use also.

If intel has it, i would not mind having an extra features like killer has.

As of now, i would use killer software features.

With killer at least i can priortise my bandwidths such as gaming, skype and reduce all ongoing torrent downloads.

pa9797

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am surprised that Killer do not have Jumbo Frame support??

muddle

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
QOS control implemented at the router level makes more sense isn't it. ?

yeah that's what i think so too. if it's been sorted in the upstream, does it matter which nic we use?

or maybe the nic-based qos more for those who connect to the modem directly without routers?

Op_Valkyrie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
QOS control implemented at the router level makes more sense isn't it. ?

Exactly... They just want you to think that QoS is done at nic level... Lol... So if I have two computers I need to buy two mobo or nic with their QoS...smart marketing

KWSW

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So basically for the normal network user like me... it doesn't matter as long as I got a good router and internet plan?

escksu

Banned
Reaction score
Hoho.... I have to say a bit failed marketing from Asus....

Realtek, Killer NIC, Intel etc.... all does not matter for vast majority of end users...

Btw, my mobo is C5FZ using Intel LAN, My notebook intel LAN, another comp Realtek LAN..... I don't have killer NIC....

But.... I don't see any difference between Intel LAN and Realtek LAN.......... My game did not experience less lag simply because I use Intel...... Its external lag thats the main issue... never NIC....

escksu

Banned
Reaction score
So basically for the normal network user like me... it doesn't matter as long as I got a good router and internet plan?

Yup, for normal users, it doesn't matter at all. We don't even saturate 1Gbps at all....... As for the ping, its so minimal compared to external factors.

So, its more of marketing rather than actual performance.

I would rather pay more for better overclocking.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.