Audio setup advice for living room

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a 5.1 system for my living room
so should I look at HTS or a good amp + speakers?
Budget is about $1k-$2k and my other concern is the power consumption.
For HTS I have a model in mind which is the yet to be released
sony blu-ray home theatre system bdv 7200 or
Denon amp + good speakers.
Any advice?

Brandon Yuen

Reaction score
For about $2k, you could go test out the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 speakers on an entry-level AV receiver as a starting point. From there, you can compare other solutions in your budget.

Total actual power consumption is typically less than 100W... not a big percentage of total household power consumption. Even less so if you're just considering the difference in power consumption between models. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.... but your mileage may vary.
Just watch out for excessively high power consumption in standby mode. This guy here found that having HDMI passthrough enabled significantly raised the power consumption in standby mode.

LuNaOcEaN

Reaction score
Do consider AVR with added features like dlna or airplay. Its pretty neat to stream audio over your speakers which are connected to your AVR.. Hehe.

And do consider to get just a 7.1/7.2 AVR. Those 9.1/9.2 AVRs with 4K capabilities are overkill for the 5.1 setup and it cost much more unless you intend to add speakers/sub in future.

I would suggest Mordaunt short alumni speakers which i audition before, they sound pretty good. Cant really rem the price but should be around your budget. U should be able to audition them at adelphi where i last went... :)

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For about $2k, you could go test out the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 speakers on an entry-level AV receiver as a starting point. From there, you can compare other solutions in your budget.

Total actual power consumption is typically less than 100W... not a big percentage of total household power consumption. Even less so if you're just considering the difference in power consumption between models. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.... but your mileage may vary.
Just watch out for excessively high power consumption in standby mode. This guy here found that having HDMI passthrough enabled significantly raised the power consumption in standby mode.

Any place can audition that speaker?

Brandon Yuen

Reaction score
I haven't checked recently, but I believe I first heard them at Alpha Audio (Sim Lim Square Level 1). KEC at Adelphi should have them too.

Courts has them, but it's usually too noisy to evaluate speakers on their shopfloor.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked recently, but I believe I first heard them at Alpha Audio (Sim Lim Square Level 1). KEC at Adelphi should have them too.

Courts has them, but it's usually too noisy to evaluate speakers on their shopfloor.

Electronic shops are like that, limited space and also time to
play with the thing.
Not to mention sometimes some salesperson don't know
anything about the equipment.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.