Microsoft Surface

enriqueyang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why can't they include lte into surface pro?

i think can put sim card in sony duo 13 and can use LTE

but dunno the baseband same or not..

reason they wont put it in because

now microsoft have acquire nokia

it will kill 2520 which runs is similar to surface 1 and 2

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But why buy an 11" or even 13" MBA when a 12-inch Ipad Pro with a keyboard can do 90% of what it can do (word processing, spreadsheets, database, planning etc) and is lighter, has a sharper screen, and comes with IOS tablet apps? If you need CPU-intensive OSX tasks, go for a 13" or 15" rMBP, which in its next Broadwell iteration will be lighter and thinner.

So if the Ipad Pro launches, the MBA's niche will be squeezed from both sides.

Microsoft doesn't build an ultrabook, so it is free to build an SP3 that competes well against ultrabooks. Apple doing the same with an Ipad Pro would be cannibalizing its own product. Makes no sense unless they are already committed to making the MBA irrelevant by making the rMBP thinner and lighter.

there r rumors mba may be killed cos mbpr is too similar. so ipad pro can come in. but these are all rumors.

for some strange reason, if true, the ipad pro is going to be a much more exciting product.

another possible rumor is a mac mini desktop without the need to buy monitor. the desktop has a built in projector. This is patented so no one can copy.

RequiemDK

Reaction score
there r rumors mba may be killed cos mbpr is too similar. so ipad pro can come in. but these are all rumors.

for some strange reason, if true, the ipad pro is going to be a much more exciting product.

another possible rumor is a mac mini desktop without the need to buy monitor. the desktop has a built in projector. This is patented so no one can copy.

That Mac Mini idea reminds me of that Samsung Galaxy Beam smartphone with a built-in projector and humongous battery life and built-in 2nd battery stand. Fun idea, but working or watching things off a projected image is still more tiring than working off a well-built LCD screen..

RequiemDK

Reaction score
why can't they include lte into surface pro?

I suspect it has something to do with the WiFi chip that the Surface Pro uses. The first implementations had really buggy drivers. Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any suitable LTE modem for the Surface Pro that would play nice with that thing. Notice how Samsung's LTE phones use a Qualcomm SoC instead of their own Exynos chips? It doesn't seem that straightforward to add LTE capability to a product somehow.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
It seems like many of you are looking at this as consumers & not professionals or executive. Many carry both laptop & iPad especially those who have to travel a lot, whether local or overseas.

The SP3 target these people. This group of people will not buy MacBook because their enterprise software wouldn't work in OSX & don't bother them with VM or Dual-booting.

More & more of my colleagues are already asking about my Dell Venue 8 Pro & SP3 and planning to switch back to Windows because the iPad is too restrictive. Not enough storage, not enough CPU power, not enough software, no full "disk" encrypted storage.

Some who bought the Yoga Pro find that it's too heavy so SP3 is a good choice also.

So basically, those of us who use the tablet as a tool to make money will love the Surface Pro 3.

LTE integration is not so straightforward, Intel doesn't have integrated LTE modules like Qualcomm so OEM must buy a module from Huawei, etc. to built in using USB or SDIO & then provide drivers.

It's complicated.

Bora777

Reaction score
I don't think the SG price is too bad. I'm currently studying in the UK and the SP3 price here is a crazy SGD1348 for the i3 model. I'm looking forward to going home for the holidays and picking up an i5 model in SG for the same price. :D

By the way, I noticed today on Microsoft's SG store that all the Type Covers for SP3 are sold out. :eek:

bedlamite

Reaction score
IMHO the Surface line is targeted at artists or business professionals who require extreme portability, not the general consumer. Of course I'm not saying a typical user can't pick it up if he chooses to, but $1.7K for an i5 machine is a hard sell. A business user who travels frequently is going to appreciate the 800-gram SP3 much more than your typical user who'll probably never take his laptop out of the house.

I think that's why MS is having such a devil of a time marketing the Surface line, the Pros are not meant for the consumer in general. These are halo devices, hardware specifically built by MS to not only show consumers but manufacturers that hey, Windows laptops don't necessarily need to look like cheap clunky pieces of shyte.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Looking forward to the Surface Pro 3. :o I like the aesthetics and the price.

kimurastanley

Reaction score
I think the price is not too bad considering galaxy note pro 12.2 already cost 1000++.
Using surface pro 2 and really like it. Has been using the stylus a lot while reading pdf in surface pro.

Still thinking whether to change to SP3. Very tempting with the new screen ratio and lighter body. But the processor is the same as my current SP2 :s22:

kimurastanley

Reaction score
If there is configuration of 128GB with 8GB RAM, will probably go for that as surface pro has microsd slot.

But there isnt, so i will go for 256GB with 8GB RAM

miragez

Reaction score
I don't think the SG price is too bad. I'm currently studying in the UK and the SP3 price here is a crazy SGD1348 for the i3 model. I'm looking forward to going home for the holidays and picking up an i5 model in SG for the same price. :D

By the way, I noticed today on Microsoft's SG store that all the Type Covers for SP3 are sold out. :eek:

Thanks for this info, great to hear from one country the cost is actually much more than sg and now lower.

YSLee

Master Member
Reaction score
1.7k is for the 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD version. You can get a perfectly functional machine for 1.4k.

The problem is the insane price jump - since when did RAM and SSD cost so much?

miragez

Reaction score
1.7k is for the 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD version. You can get a perfectly functional machine for 1.4k.

The problem is the insane price jump - since when did RAM and SSD cost so much?

Well I guess it got to do with which msata that are using and how their ram is being built. Secondly I guess the price is reasonable... for the weight your carrying... If your needs Tablet, 1.1kg (with keyboard).

Thirdly your needs, if you think that a functional machine for 1.4k works for you and the weight is reasonable they take it. But if you want something which is much lighter and more premium to handle portability. The surface pro 3 will be right for you.

Note: the weight I got from this source if any of you are interested to know
Source here

kchinbeng

Reaction score
A noob question Pro 3 is it able to upgrade the memory and hard disk like those in laptop?
Please advise.
Intend to get the pro 3

Aisyoz

Banned
Reaction score
Worst thing is when batt is dead it can only stay at home like most Ultrabook with non replaceable batt... which is always the first component to wear off.

DIY surface battery replacement

LjDFhynZm2KLiMdg.medium

EvM3WYTSkcYMSlUC.standard

Microsoft Surface Battery Pack Replacement - iFixit

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.