Custom In-Ear Monitors information & discussion thread

XcoldstarX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will update Westone and Ultimate Ears models tomorrow.

Only left Stage 93 banner to make...but I have difficulties finding high resolution images of their logo...

Last edited:

kennethtbh

Reaction score
can i just ask, there arent many dynamic custom IEMs around right? so far only know mg6pro from FS, a1d from aaw. any particular reason why? maybe cos DD harder to fit/tune as the shell will affect the sound more? hmm.

i know there are quite a few hybrids around but i think im just not used to or maybe dun like the kinda sound coming out from BA drivers. have tried
UM merlin and feel that the sound is very... separated. i could tell the diff between sound coming from BA and DD.. haven't tried many other BA iems yet though. so not sure issit cos of the separation in the bores or what.

XcoldstarX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can i just ask, there arent many dynamic custom IEMs around right? so far only know mg6pro from FS, a1d from aaw. any particular reason why? maybe cos DD harder to fit/tune as the shell will affect the sound more? hmm.

i know there are quite a few hybrids around but i think im just not used to or maybe dun like the kinda sound coming out from BA drivers. have tried
UM merlin and feel that the sound is very... separated. i could tell the diff between sound coming from BA and DD.. haven't tried many other BA iems yet though. so not sure issit cos of the separation in the bores or what.

1. It's not easy to volume match dynamic drivers
2. It's not easy to tune dynamic drivers
3. Size of drivers make optimal placement of dynamic drivers in shell more difficult
4. DD and BA drivers behave very differently to frequency phasing due to change in impedance

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. It's not easy to volume match dynamic drivers
2. It's not easy to tune dynamic drivers
3. Size of drivers make optimal placement of dynamic drivers in shell more difficult
4. DD and BA drivers behave very differently to frequency phasing due to change in impedance

to further add on to that...

size of bass port, positioning, pressure, type of acoustic foam is critical.

Also, due to the unique shapes of our ears (inner and outer), the phasing of sound inside of the ear is affected very much as manufacturers have to tune towards the intended sound.. it is much more troublesome and time consuming compared to BA drivers.

manufacturing consistencies of dynamic drivers is lower than BA drivers; in production line, BA driver is more reliable in terms of delivering its sonic performance.

XcoldstarX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Updated with what I think are all the brands (except 1964ears, as from their website there is no local dealer).

Let me know if I missed out any.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Updated with what I think are all the brands (except 1964ears, as from their website there is no local dealer).

Let me know if I missed out any.
I know E1 have 1964 demo units(used to, not sure if it's back yet). Logically speaking, they should be able to order too, if not there's no point in having demo units.. :p

kennull

Reaction score

Well I spent quite some time looking into the r&d process of AAW's A1D, for DD drivers, placement requires more delicate handling and sound bore size needs to be carefully deliberated. Do them wrong then some frequencies are totally gooooone....

Shell chamber size, acoustic dampening material, bass port and wiring play a secondary role. However, honestly speaking, nobody will get exactly the same sound from a DD CIEM, your ear size is different, canal bend degree is different, but that's the fun in it, isn't it?

Generally speaking, average sized ears or bigger will get close to the universal demo sound. If your ears are small, I would seriously recommend hybrid or full BA CIEMs.

The A1D took months to get the sound perfect, now along with its bigger brother W100, another 9mm DD driver CIEM, it does add more variety to the CIEM world.

Another reason I guess why most makes don't offer DD CIEM is the manufacturing inconsistency. One careless mistake in installation, you are looking at a dead driver:(

Last edited:

XcoldstarX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well I spent quite some time looking into the r&d process of AAW's A1D, for DD drivers, placement requires more delicate handling and sound bore size needs to be carefully deliberated. Do them wrong then some frequencies are totally gooooone....

Shell chamber size, acoustic dampening material, bass port and wiring play a secondary role. However, honestly speaking, nobody will get exactly the same sound from a DD CIEM, your ear size is different, canal bend degree is different, but that's the fun in it, isn't it?

Generally speaking, average sized ears or bigger will get close to the universal demo sound. If your ears are small, I would seriously recommend hybrid or full BA CIEMs.

The A1D took months to get the sound perfect, now along with its bigger brother W100, another 9mm DD driver CIEM, it does add more variety to the CIEM world.

Another reason I guess why most makes don't offer DD CIEM is the manufacturing inconsistency. One careless mistake in installation, you are looking at a dead driver:(

Well said!

Thumbs up for Kevin from Null Audio.

So other than the W100 (which I need to update) and the W300, will there be a W200 and any information on it?

mentosonline

Reaction score
Dropped by Null yesterday to check out the Hidition lineup and got to hear the W100 and W300 prototypes. W300's bass and mids were really good, but unfortunately the treble is bad and needs serious retuning IMHO.

Not sure about a W200 but I believe a 4 driver model is in the works according to the lady at the shop. Btw Kevin, do you do retermination services? I need a new plug for my Twag to fit my iPhone case...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.