EDMW Knife Collectors

mechwira

Reaction score
Dont bother with the Mini-grip and go straight for the Mini-Ritter. Thank me later :s22:

*insert picture tonight when I get home*

mini.... ritter?

when i did a search all i got was:

ritterminivorratsbox.jpg

never heard of it. benchmade?

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hihi

any gurus here know anywhere for professional knife sharpening service?

and..

i have a sharpening stone at home but i don't know what grit is it.. anyway to tell?

If u have a very expensive knife, dun go for the "professional" sharpener in singapore. They may change ur angle and take off too much steel.

Any grit can sharpen just low grit(rougher) takes off more steel.

Get a good sharpening system like spyderco sharp maker or go watch youtube video on jap master doing it.

I learnt it when out guys showed me the videos months back.

squarebox

Reaction score
mini.... ritter?

when i did a search all i got was:

never heard of it. benchmade?

Yup, it's manufactured by Benchmade. It's a Doug-Ritter version of the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian but with a high-sabre grind(all most a full-flat grind) and S30V!!! A much better cutting tool compared to the original Mini Griptilian which cuts like a sharpen prybar.

If you want to get a feel them, let me know as I own both.

Link for more information : Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 Utility/Survival Knife - a knife you can bet your life on (tm)

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
hihi

any gurus here know anywhere for professional knife sharpening service?

and..

i have a sharpening stone at home but i don't know what grit is it.. anyway to tell?

depends on the knife you're sharpening. let us know what knife you want sharpened, a pic would help (and a detailed close up of the condition of the edge).

as for the stone, there's no way of telling exactly what grit, but the grit no is just a point of reference. if you removed the numbering reference, it will just range from coarsest to finest. a pic of the stone would help. If you don't know, you'll know when you sharpen your knife as the marks would tell you which side of the spectrum you're closer to. Unless you're using some special natural waterstone which gives a cloudy finish even though it very very fine, the higher the grit, the finer the finish, the finer the finish the more reflective the steel is going to be.

if your knife is not in bad shape, a very good stone to consider for medium finish-final honing would be a 1000-3000 grit stone. It won't reprofile very well, but it will allow you to have a finely hone edge that will shave. you can find stones at supermarkets (tangs has a 1000-3000 grit for under $100, razor edge has a naniwa combo 1000-3000 for $40, and a better naniwa superstone combo 1000-3000 for $80?, black tactical has one for under $50 IIRC worcer's post). If you like your knives to be sharp, you NEED to be able to sharpen them and unless you want to buy sharpeners like lansky, sharpmaker, edgepro, wicked edge, knife sharp etc, you'll need a stone at some point in time. The $5 carborundum stone you see in supermarkets can give you a working edge too, but not those fine edges that you see in videos, the grit is probably 100/800. The China ones from those el-cheapo $2 stores run mostly near markets are the worst, they're warped - absolutely zero QC. Be prepared to put some effort into sharpening your edge - good edges take effort too, especially the first time. Jigs help a lot to hold the angle constant. Sharpmaker is probably easiest to use, but it does not reprofile well and if you don't adjust the angle of the blade to match your original, you may just end up sharpening the shoulder bevel of the actual edge or putting just a micro bevel at the very edge.

as for sharpeners, razoredge at tan boon liat building does a good job. they wont destroy your edge. The sharpener may use a mini harbour freight belt sander to reprofile if your knife is really really in bad shape, but he mostly uses waterstones which do not affect the temper of the knife.

however, if your knife is cheap, you may not want to invest so much time and money. So let's start with a pic or detailed description.

Last edited:

mechwira

Reaction score
Yup, it's manufactured by Benchmade. It's a Doug-Ritter version of the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian but with a high-sabre grind(all most a full-flat grind) and S30V!!! A much better cutting tool compared to the original Mini Griptilian which cuts like a sharpen prybar.

If you want to get a feel them, let me know as I own both.

Link for more information :

sounds good. the delica made me think a full flat grind is possibly the best choice for a small light-duty edc.

question is.... where do i snag one? cant find it listed on ebay or amazon, cant find it at knife center, and i'd rather not use vpost forwarding and buy off a US-shipping only site.

squarebox

Reaction score
sounds good. the delica made me think a full flat grind is possibly the best choice for a small light-duty edc.

question is.... where do i snag one? cant find it listed on ebay or amazon, cant find it at knife center, and i'd rather not use vpost forwarding and buy off a US-shipping only site.

You can get one from Knifeworks.
eu5BIGk.jpg

cl9j1OI.jpg

But in the same price range, there's the high value Manix2 in S110V. Once sharpen, it keeps it forever under normal use. In picture, Full-size Ritter vs Manix2.
DSC_0319_zps9f876c49.jpg

I love my Manix2 S110V so much I have 2 more on the way :X
Field tested on Saturday in the pouring rain, no rusting :) but then again, I coat all my blades with a tuf-glide and singer oil.

Last edited:

sierraorchid

Reaction score
How do u find the quality of the kershaws? I have not owned any kershaw before. I guess it is zero tolerance with cheaper metals?

Haven't really used them yet.. but construction is rock solid so far.. nice and small, blades are about the same length as the drop point knife on my leatherman supertool 300, but much more solid. No give when locked.

sierraorchid

Reaction score
the AOs made it thru customs without going cantonment? that presents possibilities. maybe i can get a mini-barrage instead of a mini-griptilian, or a sog aegis.

Well these two made it through.. a third one hasn't.. so I'm guessing I'll get a letter from customs soon..

mechwira

Reaction score
Well these two made it through.. a third one hasn't.. so I'm guessing I'll get a letter from customs soon..

can i ask whats the third one that didn make it thru?

i'm thinking of adding an AO to my collection, but dun want the hassle of collecting from cantonment. plus i donno if an AO is worth it in terms of whether its just another unnecessary mechanism that might go wrong.

appreciate input from owners of AO folders.

sierraorchid

Reaction score

i'm thinking of adding an AO to my collection, but dun want the hassle of collecting from cantonment. plus i donno if an AO is worth it in terms of whether its just another unnecessary mechanism that might go wrong.

Third one is a Kershaw Brawler.. slightly larger than the first two (cryo and burst).

mamba2012

Reaction score

Had an ao before. I think I grabbed it off caesars. My 2 cents is to avoid ao if possible. Mine spoilt quite quickly. Wasn't one of those high end ones, but certainly not worth the trouble. According to speculation, ao may be made illegal soon. Ur call.

sierraorchid

Reaction score
Had an ao before. I think I grabbed it off caesars. My 2 cents is to avoid ao if possible. Mine spoilt quite quickly. Wasn't one of those high end ones, but certainly not worth the trouble. According to speculation, ao may be made illegal soon. Ur call.

AOs are legal here in sg?

squarebox

Reaction score
One thing I like about Amazon is that they give pretty good info about the product on their site as well as customer reviews.

Then you haven't seen the trolls on amazon review yet!
Many tears were shed : Amazon.com | HARIBO Teddy Bears 3kg reviews

Back on topic, anyone owns a Spyderco Manix XL? Planning to jump on one but I'm afraid it's to big for my hands.

mechwira

Reaction score
Then you haven't seen the trolls on amazon review yet!
Many tears were shed :

yeah, i personally like the reviews for the wenger giant knife

(copy and paste the links)

amazon.co.uk/Wenger-Giant-Swiss-Army-Knife/dp/B000R0JDSI

amazon.com/Wenger-16999-Swiss-Knife-Giant/dp/B001DZTJRQ

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.