Buffetlicious! The All You Can Eat Buffet thread - Part 6

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw, you tried the ala carte buffet dinner at Ju Chun Yuan already? How was it? I remembered you bought 2 vouchers?

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw, you tried the ala carte buffet dinner at Ju Chun Yuan already? How was it? I remembered you bought 2 vouchers?

Food quality wasn't too bad but food sizing was terrible - they never scale down to suit the number of diners (3 of us - 2 on vouchers)

When we were there - there were only 3 tables occupied - think only 1 other was using the vouchers as well

shalome

Master Member
Reaction score
rws invites members, kindly note that the members dine free promo is in REBATES form now. not direct discount. maybe some of us can send feedback in to bring back the direct discount.

last time dinner at friday and saturday will be $80/pax. hence after member dine free promo is $40/pax.
now is pay $160 and $80 rebate stuck inside the card..

so now competitive with deal.com.sg deal

Last edited:

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
were u all offered marriott card?

398 bucks..

They give u a voucher of 200bucks, 1 sub card, 1 voucher to bring up to 10pax for 50% off in their restaurant.

looks like a good deal if u share with people.. 100 each effective after vouchers deduction.

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Classic and Premium feastings at Kushi Japanese Dining Bar

It was purely a coincident that my colleagues and I were talking about going back to Kushi when Bunny informed that Kushi Japanese Dining Bar had shifted from its old haunt at Hotel Windsor in Macpherson Road to a much more accessible location at Hotel Royal along Newton Road. We were supposed to make it a joint outing together but one of my colleague was unable to make it due to his oversea reservist stint, so I ended up going twice for the buffet. :D

Hotel Royal is a 10-15 minutes walk from the Novena MRT along Newton Road nested among the blocks of condominiums and landed properties. Although I have passed by it countless times on my way to town, it was my first time to actually visit the place though.

0067-HotelRoyal.jpg

Hotel Royal
36 Newton Road
Singapore 307964

A wooden spiral staircase wound around the outer perimeter of the Water Feature cum Koi Pond while a huge chandelier light up the area.

0068-HotelRoyal.jpg

Kushi Japanese Dining Bar is located on the 3rd floor of the hotel. You can take the lift or climb up the stairs like us to work off some calories.

0069-Kushi.jpg

Kushi Japanese Dining Bar
36 Newton Road
#03-01
Hotel Royal
Singapore 307964
Tel: 6285 6526

Business Hours
11.30am - 2.30pm (last order)
5.30pm - 9.30pm (last order)

0070-Kushi.jpg

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First impression when we walked into the restaurant; the place was dimly lit with a large Japanese paper lantern hanging above the reception/payment counter, lighting along a wall of zinc corrugated roofing sheets and strategically placed lamps. Although the warm lighting makes the place a cozy and intimate dining experience, it was just too dim for photo taking. They later adjusted the light output up to brighten the place.

0071-Kushi.jpg

0072-Kushi.jpg

With a spacious Dining Area, the restaurant can now accommodate more diners than it was at their old location. Also, the gap between the tables are further apart allowing for more space and privacy.

0073-Kushi.jpg

0074-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The inner Dining Area is where all the happenings were. Here an L shape counter seating area overlooked the kitchen, sashimi and grilling sections where you can see the chefs doing all the dicing and slicing plus the grilling.

0075-Kushi.jpg

0076-Kushi.jpg

0077-Kushi.jpg

If you have have enough diners to warrant the extra privacy of the Tatami Room, by all means take it. But since you will be sitting on the tatami, I doubts most of us can last long enough (without stretching the legs) throughout the meal hours.

0078-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Table Layout consisted of just a plate, condiment saucer, disposable chopsticks and napkin.

0079-Kushi.jpg

I did mentioned earlier that I went for the buffet twice recently, two Saturdays apart to be exact. First trip was with my makan kakis for the Premium Buffet and later with my colleagues for their Classic Buffet. The Classic menu is a subset of the Premium menu which comes with additional dishes like one serving of the seasonal item and toro (Tuna Belly) plus quite a few more unlimited dishes. Let's check out what treasures the menu had installed for us.

0080-Kushi.jpg

10 Things You MUST know... - Of course we need to know the price we are paying which also included free flow hot and cold drinks plus desserts (not stated in the menu itself).

0081-Kushi.jpg

I have been there 4 times over the pass few years and only on the very first occasion that we ordered from the Shabu Shabu Menu. Just an advise, order this only if you have 3 or more people else you might just find that you have no more tummy space for the other dishes. Us, we just skipped this section of the menu and went for the more value for money items.

0082-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Appetisers and Starters Menu - This is when the dishes started to get interesting. If you opted for the Premium buffet, you get 4 more items to choose from, of which we tried 3 of the 4 dishes.

0083-Kushi.jpg

The single most frequent ordered page is from this Sashimi Menu since that was what we were there for in the first place. Of the 4 premium items, you only get a serving each of the Toro (Tuna Belly) and Seasonal Item.

0084-Kushi.jpg

The not so hot sections were mainly those dishes with rice. Being a lover of Ikura (Salmon Roe), I just had to order this from the Sushi Menu.

0085-Kushi.jpg

Likewise for the Maki Mono Menu, we also asked for one dish, though of a different item for my two trip there.

0086-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We did picked a salad from this Handroll and Salad Menu and was done with it. My carbo loving colleague was still thinking of eating the handroll but never got to do it as he was too stuffed by then. :D

0087-Kushi.jpg

The Tempura Menu was quite good though we were let-down by the Ultra King Prawn. More of that later.

0088-Kushi.jpg

Yakimono Menu featured a few premium items like the Wagyu Beef and Hamachi Kama to name a couple. The Classic section also have some nice dishes to boast.

0089-Kushi.jpg

Agemono Menu has this Farci Crab which Kahlan was asking about, somehow we never got to order it as we were too preoccupied with the other dishes. I looked up on the internet and this is a French appetizer in which the shells are stuffed with a mix of crab meat, breadcrumbs, butter and seasonings (in French, the word farci means “stuffed”). Wondered why is a French appetizer appearing in a Japanese restaurant?

0090-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now, this is another yummy page of the book, the Kushiyaki Menu. All the delicious bacon rolls and that smoky flavours of the grilled stuffs are making me drool again.

0091-Kushi.jpg

Cooked Food Menu featured more premium items than the classic menu but unfortunately it wasn't enough to entice us to order except the Lobster Soup which I did not fancy.

0092-Kushi.jpg

Whichever option you picked, it comes with free flow of hot Green Tea, Ice Lemon Tea and Coke.

0093-Kushi.jpg

Chawanmushi is deceptively plain with just a showing of sliced mushroom and part of a prawn but when you dug in deeper, it was choked with pieces of prawn and chicken. Can't remembered what other ingredient(s) was in there as I forgotten to take a picture of it. I like to drizzle some of the soya sauce mixed with the wasabi to go with the egg custard. Oishii desu.

0094-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pitan Tofu - This chilled century egg tofu was pretty yummy with the creamy sauce; a concoction of mayonnaise and the egg yolk of the century egg. Topped with a generous amount of century egg white and tobiko (flying fish roe) for the colours and textures. A simple classic dish that taste oh so good though my colleague chipped in to say it was too creamy for him.

0095-Kushi.jpg

0096-Kushi.jpg

This plate of 4 Oysters was solely for the pleasure of Kahlan and Bunny as the few of us do not take the raw bivalve molluscs or at least for my colleague who's stomach cannot take it.

0097-Kushi.jpg

The pretty pink pastel shade of this Hanasaki Ika mixed with tobiko (flying fish roe) was a delight to devour. Fresh tasting squid that offered a lightly chewy texture along with the crunchy salty tobiko. Too bad the second helpings was a tad salty for our liking which we promptly feedback to the wait staff.

0098-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beef Tataki is a wonderful Japanese method of preparing fillet beef where the meat is lightly seared, marinated, sliced thinly similar to sashimi and served with a citrus based soy sauce. The flavour of this juicy beef is drawn out by the fresh citrus notes of the salty soy sauce and the accompanying julienned onion.

0099-Kushi.jpg

Yukke Beef - Raw thinly sliced beef with the fat removed and then seasoned with spices or sauces. Before serving it is topped with a raw egg yolk and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. A lot of people might be put off by the prospect of eating this raw beef but it actually does not have that rawness associated with the look. Bunny said some portion of the beef was still frozen but I did not noticed it.

0100-Kushi.jpg

Part of the premium menu, this Aji (Horse Mackerel) was served separated from the other sashimi. There was already soya sauce in there together with minced ginger and chopped up spring onion. Can't really tell how this taste like as it was just a small portion shared by the 4 of us and nobody asked for a reorder again.

0101-Kushi.jpg

On my second trip, we opted not to order the tuna sashimi so I thought I did try out the Maguro Tataki. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it although it did use the same citrus-based soya sauce of the Beef Tataki.

0102-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My colleague picked these and I though I was eating squid until I checked the menu and it turned out to be Tako Wasabi. The wasabi wasn't that pungent, just enough to lend the pieces of octopus it unique flavour which I must say goes very well with the rest of us. Chuka Hotate was lightly spicy sweet and the nutty sesame lift up the overall taste factor for what was considered the leftover part of a scallop.

0103-Kushi.jpg

Another of my colleague ordered this Natto Ika but the natto was coarsely mashed instead of the usual whole bean which we were more familiar with. I tried a tiny portion and decided that I did not like the fermented beans but on the other hand, the squid were fresh and good.

0104-Kushi.jpg

While waiting for the sleeping beauty to arrive, we helped ourselves to this plate of mouthwatering Sashimi; no no no, I am not referring to our resident sleeping beauty - Denny. This one is much more ambitious, who aimed for a six pack abs and a blissful marriage to a rich old mature lady. :D

0105-Kushi.jpg

0106-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This second serving of Assorted Sashimi comprised of Hotate, Amaebi, Shiro Maguro, Meikajiki, Salmon and Hamachi. The quality and freshness were generally there except for the sweet shrimp which I found them a little on the mushy side.

0107-Kushi.jpg

For the last order of sashimi on my first trip, we had the Amaebi and Hotate. The sweet shrimp simply cannot compared to the ones I had in Oscar's which boasted exceptional freshness and coupled with a nice sweet and firm texture. Scallop was very good though, it had a nice clean sweet taste clinging to it.

0110-Kushi.jpg

For my second trip, we opted for the Classic Buffet so our plate of Assorted Sashimi does not have access to the scallop. Instead we had Amaebi, Shiro Maguro, Meikajiki, Salmon, Hamachi and Tako. Again, I was rather disappointed with the freshness of the sweet shrimp.

0108-Kushi.jpg

Come to think of it, no one seems to ask for the Ika, so my colleague requested for the squid to be included in this small plate of Sashimi. Glad to say that the squid had none of the stickiness I usually experienced with it and was delicious to boot. The Swordfish also fared better as I can savour the sweetness from the fish than on my first trip.

0109-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the Premium Buffet, you're entitled to a serving of the seasonal item which in our case was a whole Red Snapper. Unfortunately, this was no cause for celebration as the flesh had a rather strong fishy taste which immediately put off Power789. The rest of the fish was left untouched on the table for sometime before Bunny came up with her minced ginger and soya sauce mixture which really help to tone down that fishiness.

0111-Kushi.jpg

0112-Kushi.jpg

0113-Kushi.jpg

Also part of the premium menu, this Toro (Tuna Belly) doesn't really leave much of an impression as echoed by some of us. Maybe because it was not the fattest cuts or maybe it needs a light searing to bring the fat to melting point to enhance its taste.

0114-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One can't really tell that much differences between the Wagyu Beef Steak (Premium menu - below 1st picture) and Rib Eye Steak (Classic menu - below 2nd picture) other than the former had more fat distribution in the meat. Both came served with mustard at the side.

0115-Kushi.jpg

0116-Kushi.jpg

Hamachi Kama - There were 4 of us so we got two grilled Yellowtail Collars to share. The fish was more meaty than I expected, while it tasted quite decent, I preferred those parts near the bone which was more tender.

0117-Kushi.jpg

0118-Kushi.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.