Buffetlicious! The All You Can Eat Buffet thread - Part 6

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Ultra King Prawn Tempura, an oversize Ebi tempura was a letdown due to the fact that the prawn was not fresh and the texture rather mushy. Although the batter was crispy, I had to peel away some of it as it was just too thick.

0119-Kushi.jpg

Ebi and Shitake Tempura - The wait staff mistakenly sent this over to our table meant for the next table and we just accepted it. Later they came back with just the prawns which was my original order but we told them ours was already served and then she gave it to the next table. Compared to its larger cousin above, this was a fresher catch though I wished that it had a thinner coat of batter. The mushroom was plump and juicy with a thin crispy shell; this is how a good vegetable tempura should be.

0120-Kushi.jpg

Power789 was asking the wait staff what is the difference between this Anago (below 1st picture) and the Unagi (below 2nd picture) and she couldn't answered him. Actually Anago is a saltwater eel and the Unagi, a freshwater eel. To tell you the truth, I ate both but still can't taste the difference in them, since they were both grilled and smothered with the same sweet sauce. If you want to know their differences, check out this site.

0121-Kushi.jpg

0122-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you asked me why I like Ikura (Salmon Roe) so much, I honestly don't have an explanation. Maybe it's the act of popping those little balls of roe and the bursting of the salty liquid in the mouth, I can't really say. But I had an enjoyable time eating them in my Hokkaido trip. How I wished they were not salty so that I can eat them by the spoonful without the rice but will just have to make do with these Ikura Sushi.

0123-Kushi.jpg

0124-Kushi.jpg

While the fresh scallops had a natural ocean sweetness to it, these skewers of Grilled Scallop added an extra layer of smoky flavour and sweetness from the caramelised sweet sauce onto the outer surface which was delicious in its own way. The first trip had this black soot (from the charcoal?) sticking to the scallops (below 1st picture) which was not there when I went back two weeks later.

0125-Kushi.jpg

0126-Kushi.jpg

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Assorted Grilled Bacon Rolls came in various ingredients in the middle like the Uzuru Bacon (Quail Egg), Chizu Maki (Cheese), Enoki Maki (Golden Mushroom), Tomato Bacon (Cherry Tomato) and Asparamaki (Asparagus). I must say both the quail egg and tomato goes very well with the salty bacon; try it the next time you are there. Now for the bad ones; it's not a good combination when you paired up two salty ingredients like the cheese bacon which was just too sodium loaded. Next, I am not sure why the asparagus here was so fibrous, it just took away the joy of eating it.

0127-Kushi.jpg

0128-Kushi.jpg

0129-Kushi.jpg

These black tailed Grilled Shishamo was plump with roes and moist to the bite. Usually I ate them all, head to tail but this time I left the blacken (charred) tail intact.

0130-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like I mentioned above, the asparagus in the Asparamaki (Asparagus wrapped in Bacon) had such pronounced strands of fibre that it just makes them tough to chew and unpleasant to the overall enjoyment. The Enoki Maki (Golden Mushroom with Bacon - below 2nd picture) fared so much better.

0131-Kushi.jpg

0132-Kushi.jpg

Buta Bara (Grilled Pork Belly) was a nice treat to have; crispy browned outer layer and juice bursting moist meat/fat inside. Best of all, eating it doesn't gave you that jelak feeling like when I was in Shinkei Japanese Restaurant.

0133-Kushi.jpg

0134-Kushi.jpg

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We ordered the grilled chicken skin but was served this Negima (Grilled Chicken with Leek) instead. Luckily, the lightly grilled bite–size pieces of chicken and leek in teriyaki sauce was a decent eat as the meat was very tender and retained the flavourful meat juices.

0135-Kushi.jpg

Kudos to the chef for doing a great job deboning the Tebasaki (Grilled Chicken Wings). The browned skin and edge of the marinated meat make for a nice snack minus the hustle of having to mess with the bones.

0136-Kushi.jpg

And now for the Tori Kawa (Grilled Chicken Skin), which came after quite some time later and according to the wait staff was due to the longer cooking time required to grill it. The picture below was that from the second trip and it does not come with salt as per my instruction. Reason being the chicken skin we had in our first trip was way over salted. A sinful yet very crispy and fragrant eat. Sedap!

0137-Kushi.jpg

The Shitake Shio (Grilled Shitake Mushroom) was the best I have eaten so far. Made using fresh plump mushrooms and lightly brushed with fragrant oil/marinate before sending off to the hot grill for a short cooking stint. These grilled fungi came to the table still hot and fleshy plus they were not dried out either.

0138-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surune Ika or in plain English, Grilled Squid was a pleasure to consume especially that of the below 2nd and 3rd photos. The fragrant outer surface, coupled with the chewy moist flesh was an enjoyment for us. My colleague preferred the chewier tentacles, whereas I like the meatier body.

0139-Kushi.jpg

0140-Kushi.jpg

0141-Kushi.jpg

Saba Shioyaki was perfectly grilled; it had the classic crispy skin and moist firm flesh underneath it. Squeeze some lemon juice over the fish and dig in.

0142-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Rainbow Roll came sliced into 6 small portions wrapped in slices of swordfish, tuna, salmon and avocado. As with most of the maki featured in the menu, they all come in a set of 6s so only order this if you have two or more people in your group.

0143-Kushi.jpg

0144-Kushi.jpg

My colleague wanted this Salmon Gaga which came wrapped with salmon slices for the maki and salmon sashimi at the side. He was busily eating the other dishes when he discovered that me and my other colleague had finished up all the salmon sashimi at the side. :D And we did left him 3 pieces of the maki for him to clean up the plate. :p

0145-Kushi.jpg

0146-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And now for the Assorted Deep Fried Items which were all very well fried to a golden brown hue. The Soft Shell Crab was wonderfully crispy yet minus that greasy feeling when you eat it fresh from the wok. The Squid Skewers were equally crispy and tasty without being overly chewy.

0147-Kushi.jpg

0148-Kushi.jpg

0149-Kushi.jpg

The Kaki Fried (Deep Fried Oysters) was worth a mention because it was well fried and tasty according to my colleague who was supposed to be allergy to the raw molluscs. Ended up he went to bomb the toilet bowl again after the meal.

0150-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gyoza - The filling was decent enough, nothing fanciful either though my colleague seem to enjoy it.

0151-Kushi.jpg

Another one of my colleague's order was these Pumpkin Croquettes of which I took a small bite. The croquette sported a crispy shell, but pumpkin is not my kind of vegetable.

0152-Kushi.jpg

Teriyaki Chicken Salad - Charred outside but the chicken was a tad undercooked and was still pink inside. Just a small bowl of veggies which the three of us quickly polished it off.

0153-Kushi.jpg

We were near to our limit so I asked for a small portion of this Pork Belly Shioyaki. Tasted just like the Pork Belly Skewer but with some sauce over it.

0154-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tori Momo or Grilled Chicken Thigh was juicy if not a little on the bland side. Some sauce or a longer period of marinate would have improved on its appeal.

0155-Kushi.jpg

Teba Karaage - This Deep Fried Chicken Wing was one of the best I have eaten; flavourful crispy skin with a wonderful sesame fragrant and tender juicy meat inside. Oishii de!!!

0156-Kushi.jpg

The soup base for the Lobster Soup was miso which was too pronounced. Other than that Boston lobster claw, there was hardly if any lobster sweetness in the soup. Unless you enjoyed the taste of miso, I suggest you skip ordering this.

0157-Kushi.jpg

0158-Kushi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Time to bring out the Cut Fruits and Ice Creams. For ice cream, they only have the green tea flavour topped with red bean. On my first trip, they were only two types of fruit while my second visit had honeydew, rock melon and watermelon.

0159-Kushi.jpg

0160-Kushi.jpg

0161-Kushi.jpg

Classic Buffet's Bill - If you can do without some of the dishes like the scallop sashimi, eel, ikura sushi or even the seasonal item, then by all means that the cheaper option which cost S$52.85, a good S$23.55 cheaper.

0163-Kushi.jpg

Premium Buffet's Bill - After adding in the 10% service charge and 7% GST, each of us ended up paying S$76.40.

0162-Kushi.jpg

Kushi Japanese Dining Bar is one of the better Japanese ala carte buffet place featuring a nice menu selections. With a cosier and spacious new location, it's now more accessible to most of us since the Novena MRT is just a stone's throw away. For the premium buffet, we weren't really impressed with the season item offered like the fishy red snapper. The Ultra King Prawn Tempura also lack the freshness as was the sweet shrimp. Plus point was the thick cuts of the sashimi which was the main reason we were there for. Service wise, the wait staffs were prompt and efficient in clearing the empty plates and topping up our drinks.

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Er, the pictures here cannot see? I don't have FB or use other picture hosting sites.

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can see but worried later cant find cause my friends all boh hwz acc :D got anyway to copy link to post nawt. me noob.

No need HWZ account to see :s13:

Just send them the link - can be individual post or the thread

monk..

Master Member
Reaction score
@twtwan , @toons , @khalan,@natureview, @lengbebe, @mich and cat (food avengers), i would like to find out particularly for LUNCH, between 10@claymore / lime@pickering / aquamarine, which is more recommended? I have some guests coming in three batches in July and im thinking to zero-in on two of them.

Im drawn to aquamarine for its weekday lunch with the variety of crabs and lime for its oyster offering. Never been to 10@claymore but have learnt about them through this thread and keep hearing about them.So its tough to make a decision here.

*pricing for all are fine for me,so doesnt matter
*preferrably to have a good spread and good quality

Please advise

i went to aqua in april this year.
range and quality wise....i would prefer caurosel at scott royal since it's both halal.
Yes, they do have oysters, crabs etc.
having the 4 dine 1 free promo so not too bad.

monk..

Master Member
Reaction score
any good 1 for 1 deal...
I saw some in the early posts....for those who had went for the marriot buffet, how was it?
my last visit to marriot was like 5+years ago and it's not a good one...based on the food variety.
so wondering if they have changed for better? :s11:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone else keen? So far got 3 pax. I'll be buying another voucher for carey later, so i can get for another else keen.

On top of steamboat buffet, they serving snow crab legs, durian paste, laksa n salmon sashimi. Chef Choo is the former exec chef of Straits Cafe, Rendezvous Hotel. So hopefully, the durian paste will be abt the same std as tat of Straits Cafe :D

It will be a Mon to Thu weekday dinner, as restricted by the voucher, during the 1st or 2nd week of Jul. Will prolly start from 6.30pm onwards. Voucher price is $24.80 nett.

fatty-choo-main-revised.jpg

DEAL Exclusive! Celebrity Chef Fatty Choo’s Snow Crab + Steamboat Buffet from $16.80 Onwards – Feast on Snow Crabs + Salmon Sashimi + Tiger Prawns + Over 80 Exciting Range of Buffet Menu (4 Soup Broths to Choose From)

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.