Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Which one to go for r if I wanted a 4bay

Ds411

Ds414

Ds412+

I'm getting with 4x 4tb .

That depends on your reason for getting a NAS. To me the transfer of write speed has to be close to 100MB/s to be considered acceptable thus I will looking for 1 that is before other features.

The 412+ allows the expansion of diskstation so if you are looking at expanding the DS in future, it will be a better buy against the other 2.

The DS411 on the other hand, imo. Unless space is a constraint, there is no reason to get it btw, there isnt any 4TB for 2.5" iirc. Furthermore 2.5" hdd are pricier

Last edited:

Myu~sun

Master Member
Reaction score
That depends on your reason for getting a NAS. To me the transfer of write speed has to be close to 100MB/s to be considered acceptable thus I will looking for 1 that is before other features.

The 412+ allows the expansion of diskstation so if you are looking at expanding the DS in future, it will be a better buy against the other 2.

The DS411 on the other hand, imo. Unless space is a constraint, there is no reason to get it btw, there isnt any 4TB for 2.5" iirc. Furthermore 2.5" hdd are pricier

i'm not really sure about ds411 as it was introduce by the person . it say able to put 4x 3.5 4tb in . and say currently in promotion .

my initial tots will be 412+ or 414 . i haven check out the price yet but the price difference is it a lot ? still thinking which to get . 412+ or 414 .

silencer13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that after sending a support ticket to Synology, both my DDNS are working perfectly now. ;)

Great work, Synology! Gives me great confidence in their support.

fribro

Reaction score
i'm not really sure about ds411 as it was introduce by the person . it say able to put 4x 3.5 4tb in . and say currently in promotion .

my initial tots will be 412+ or 414 . i haven check out the price yet but the price difference is it a lot ? still thinking which to get . 412+ or 414 .
DS411 2.5" hdd & usb2.0
http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/spec/DS411slim#content_hash

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score

Based on this:
Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS)

I wonder who is more accurate. Synology product site or some sales man that hv zero knowledge on what he is selling.

If I were you, I will probably steer out from that, shop

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that after sending a support ticket to Synology, both my DDNS are working perfectly now. ;)

Great work, Synology! Gives me great confidence in their support.

The problem with their support is...
The time taken for them to response is extremely slow! 3-5 days! Zz.

Myu~sun

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks will be getting 412+ more or less . I can just get 4tb x 2 first and later on add in another 4tb is ok right ? I still thinking which raid would be better for me ? Mainly using as media server / and back up ?

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Ok thanks will be getting 412+ more or less . I can just get 4tb x 2 first and later on add in another 4tb is ok right ? I still thinking which raid would be better for me ? Mainly using as media server / and back up ?

Just ensure to select SHR during creation (if you are only planning for 1 volume).
I will still advise to backup your data before adding a new disk for expansion. I learnt that the hard way though.

Last edited:

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is a kind of heng/sway situation for owners.
In my case, I did back up when i upgraded from ds212j to ds414.
No issue when expanding from 2 disk to 3 disk and then from 3 disk to 4 disk.

So back up if you don't want to take risk.

Just ensure to select SHR during creation (if you are only planning for 1 volume).
I will still advise to backup your data before adding a new disk for expansion. I learnt that the hard way though.

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quick connect connection used to be pretty fast but recently it takes too long for the NAS to be connected. Anyone experiencing this and have the solution?

silencer13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The problem with their support is...
The time taken for them to response is extremely slow! 3-5 days! Zz.

Haha! This is quite ok already. I experienced Corsair support was even worse. Sent them 3 suport tickets all no response at all. Online chat always disabled also.

andrewsoh

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a problem here. I bought a DS414j mainly to connect to 2 panasonic 3d smart tv. However my tvs can't support AVI nor RMVB file formats. When i try to stream thru DLNA. It will be unable to recognise the files.

Wish to ask for advice how to resolve this problem? Can an android stick or xiaomi player or apple tv help me?

Thank you all in advance! cheers!

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can get a player like AC Ryan to stream your movies from DS414J.

Hi guys, I have a problem here. I bought a DS414j mainly to connect to 2 panasonic 3d smart tv. However my tvs can't support AVI nor RMVB file formats. When i try to stream thru DLNA. It will be unable to recognise the files.

Wish to ask for advice how to resolve this problem? Can an android stick or xiaomi player or apple tv help me?

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

RMVB is not supported by DLNA, sadly. You need a media player like AC Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.