[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I stream direct to my Sony TV or Blu-Ray player without issues. If the TV doesn't support, I turn on the BR.

/Dan

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do take note when looking for a media player, need to support the following:
1. DTS sound, else no sound from DTS encoded video
2. NTFS file format, for > 4GB mkv files
3. Firmware upgradeable

poor_poor

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a question.

I'm looking to replace my slow NAS "D-Link 320L" max transfer speed 28mb/s only.

Currently i am looking at DIY NAS: FreeNas FreeNAS Project - Open Source Storage - FreeNAS Project or get Synology NAS.

- DIY build FreeNAS:
Easy troubleshoot
Cheaper to add on additation HDD to Raid
Hardware replacement
Better Processor & larger ram
Support more HDD
Lower temp

- Synology NAS
Expensive range to support more HDD bays
Raid support
Apps add-on
Low power usage

i wonder what is the con between both of them

Last edited:

sHrike

Reaction score

I'm looking to replace my slow NAS "D-Link 320L" max transfer speed 28mb/s only.

Currently i am looking at DIY NAS: FreeNas FreeNAS Project - Open Source Storage - FreeNAS Project or get Synology NAS.

- DIY build FreeNAS:
Easy troubleshoot
Hardware replacement
Support more HDD
Lower temp

- Synology NAS
Raid support
Apps add-on
Low power usage

I think synology provides a easy to use out of the box solution. You spend very little time to maintain it, saves power, has most of the apps what u need to use.
Unless you like to spend time tinkering with a diy NAS, go ahead.Yes it is more expensive but it is affordable.
The main con? TIME.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score

- DIY build FreeNAS:
Easy troubleshoot
Hardware replacement
Support more HDD
Lower temp

- Synology NAS
Raid support
Apps add-on
Low power usage

Imo, apps add on and easier to setup.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

- DIY build FreeNAS:
Easy troubleshoot
Hardware replacement
Support more HDD
Lower temp

- Synology NAS
Raid support
Apps add-on
Low power usage

I was having the same dilemma not too long ago.

DIY vs Synology.

I was so tempted by DIY route, the flexibility, the add on, extra power for extra functions, and the sense of achivement if I really build one. But the thing is time is a luxury for me now. I doubt I have the time to troubleshoot if there is issue, be it Windows, or Open Source platform.

DIY's flexibility if really attractive. But naturally, if we go DIY, we would want to buy hardwares that we think that are "future-proof", so as not to restrict "future expansion". Like buying bigger case, so that can put in more HDD, i5 instead of less powerful processors. A case that is really suitable for DIY NAS/file server is never cheap. Everything add up, the cost can be a lot more than what we pay for ready built.

In the end, I went into Mediapro, left with a Synology and 2 4TB HDD.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

DIY vs Synology.

I was so tempted by DIY route, the flexibility, the add on, extra power for extra functions, and the sense of achivement if I really build one. But the thing is time is a luxury for me now. I doubt I have the time to troubleshoot if there is issue, be it Windows, or Open Source platform.

DIY's flexibility if really attractive. But naturally, if we go DIY, we would want to buy hardwares that we think that are "future-proof", so as not to restrict "future expansion". Like buying bigger case, so that can put in more HDD, i5 instead of less powerful processors. A case that is really suitable for DIY NAS/file server is never cheap. Everything add up, the cost can be a lot more than what we pay for ready built.

Wise choice. Enterprises went for high end devices. Decision makers like solution architects or consultants source for such systems to be as operational free as possible. Even if operations are required, it's done by engineers down the pipeline. The main choice at the high level is as hassle free as possible, because they wanted to spend more of their time over valued activities like enjoy the concept of architecting a large scale project, families and leisure instead of meddling over details like where is the bottleneck in the storage system.

If your motive is a hassle free, low voltage, reliable storage system as a consumer, you would have gone for ready made products like QNAP and Synology instead of DIY your own systems. Have a company out there always doing firmware updates, branding awareness to bring more software into the system, reliability tests, quality control and so forth instead of you as a consumer dealing with all these yourself and still not power saving when run 24x7.

So it all boils down to what you want ? Be a user, or be an operator.

sHrike

Reaction score
Wise choice. Enterprises went for high end devices. Decision makers like solution architects or consultants source for such systems to be as operational free as possible. Even if operations are required, it's done by engineers down the pipeline. The main choice at the high level is as hassle free as possible, because they wanted to spend more of their time over valued activities like enjoy the concept of architecting a large scale project, families and leisure instead of meddling over details like where is the bottleneck in the storage system.

If your motive is a hassle free, low voltage, reliable storage system as a consumer, you would have gone for ready made products like QNAP and Synology instead of DIY your own systems. Have a company out there always doing firmware updates, branding awareness to bring more software into the system, reliability tests, quality control and so forth instead of you as a consumer dealing with all these yourself and still not power saving when run 24x7.

So it all boils down to what you want ? Be a user, or be an operator.

precisely...before one ask do a DIY NAS or buy ready made ...
ask yourself...do you have the know how how? Do you have the time? You just want save money?

Assuming you have know how and time , it also doesn't justify saving the money. because time is money.
No point asking us. you should ask yourself what you want? By all means go ahead and do what you like most.

poor_poor

Reaction score

DIY vs Synology.

Hi Chengsun,

Building a DIY NAS don't require core i5 or i7. If i go for DIY NAS i would build a ITX size running on core i3 processor.

Anyone try before FreeNas before? how do the OS compare to synology NAS?

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Chengsun,

Building a DIY NAS don't require core i5 or i7. If i go for DIY NAS i would build a ITX size running on core i3 processor.

Anyone try before FreeNas before? how do the OS compare to synology NAS?

What I said is jsut an example, choosing i5, over less powerful processor because we want the box to be able to do more "things".

I don't have experience with DIY NAS, so I can't comment on that. But, the sticky thread about BYON on top of this page is a good read.

mike911

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Similarly I have been stuck in this decision thoughts between DIY and Pre-Built for quite some good time. Also to migrate or expand out of the DNS-320.

Do keep the comments given above in mind, as I find them quite applicable to us as consumers. Should you be adventurous for diy and would like to spend time researching and exploring (for a better compared machine than pre-built), then I believe most would recommend to go for it. Unless, otherwise you have some old parts to recycle, etc. which then makes DIY a more favourable solution to save on costs.

There is no right wrong choice, but rather which you will be more comfortable with and caters to your needs. Take some time and have some thoughts over it.

poor_poor

Reaction score
What I said is jsut an example, choosing i5, over less powerful processor because we want the box to be able to do more "things".

I don't have experience with DIY NAS, so I can't comment on that. But, the sticky thread about BYON on top of this page is a good read.

Hi Chengsun,

Sorry, my mistake :)

Similarly I have been stuck in this decision thoughts between DIY and Pre-Built for quite some good time. Also to migrate or expand out of the DNS-320.

Do keep the comments given above in mind, as I find them quite applicable to us as consumers. Should you be adventurous for diy and would like to spend time researching and exploring (for a better compared machine than pre-built), then I believe most would recommend to go for it. Unless, otherwise you have some old parts to recycle, etc. which then makes DIY a more favourable solution to save on costs.

There is no right wrong choice, but rather which you will be more comfortable with and caters to your needs. Take some time and have some thoughts over it.

I regret buying DNS 320 :(
So end up you getting Synology?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DNS 320 is for first time/budget/entry level NAS. Once you are more comfortable, it is time to move on to more established NAS like Synology.

Hi Chengsun,

Sorry, my mistake :)

I regret buying DNS 320 :(
So end up you getting Synology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.