Back from South island New Zealand

sellun

Reaction score
just came back from NZ south island 1 week ago. went for 13days. 10nights there after minus flying time. Amazing country! travelled by campervan, amazing road trip! Flew there by jetstar, return trip without luggage cost us $800 per pax.

Tekapo333

Reaction score
Hi I Just came back from south NZ trip one month ago. Took the alpine route and west coast of south NZ. Travelled on SQ direct flight to Christchurch. The alpine and west coast was very scenic and a must visit if you can. The weather is bearable if you can bring layering - 3 layers.

We climbed like 200 m above sea level on Fran Joseph glacier. Comparably easier climb than our bukit timah hill. But still strenuous, and out of breadth when we reach the 200 m. More siong than running 2.4 km.

Went to Milfred Sound too, not advisable to self drive to milfred sound, cos of the long long long journey. We were lucky. Spotted dolphins and fur seals. Bring along your packed sandwich and fruits if you don't want to spend NZD30 for a simple bento in the cruise ship.

Lake Tekapo is very beautiful. The Peppers Blue Resort near lake Tekapo is very nice accommodation and the food in the restaurant is the best of all my days stayed in NZ. Considering that the area used to glaciers a long time ago.

veryred

Reaction score
Hi I Just came back from south NZ trip one month ago. Took the alpine route and west coast of south NZ. Travelled on SQ direct flight to Christchurch. The alpine and west coast was very scenic and a must visit if you can. The weather is bearable if you can bring layering - 3 layers.

We climbed like 200 m above sea level on Fran Joseph glacier. Comparably easier climb than our bukit timah hill. But still strenuous, and out of breadth when we reach the 200 m. More siong than running 2.4 km.

Went to Milfred Sound too, not advisable to self drive to milfred sound, cos of the long long long journey. We were lucky. Spotted dolphins and fur seals. Bring along your packed sandwich and fruits if you don't want to spend NZD30 for a simple bento in the cruise ship.

Lake Tekapo is very beautiful. The Peppers Blue Resort near lake Tekapo is very nice accommodation and the food in the restaurant is the best of all my days stayed in NZ. Considering that the area used to glaciers a long time ago.

which tour agency did u go with for the milfred sound? So its a 1 day trip? How much was it?
Much tahnks

Tekapo333

Reaction score
I joined Chan Brothers package tour - NZ south alpine trip sgd 3232 SQ direct to Christchurch. they hired a New Zealand driver and bus who took us all around all of NZ including milfred sound. Fitzpatrick Coachlines | Fitzpatrick Coachlines Ltd. Milfred Sound day trip was an optional, so additional NZD 226 per person.

imagejpg1_zps0d9d5306.jpg

Travelled from Queenstown to Milfred Sound and back to Queenstown in one day. One day is enough unless you want to trek and explore the wilderness. I would have preferred to spend more time in Lake Tekapo cos the place is simply beautiful.

Left Queenstown hotel for milfred sound at 7 am, along the way, took many shots of sunrise, drive through the heavy fogs. We stopped at Pop Inn Cafe for quick sandwich lunch, reached Milfred Sound quarter before 1 pm just in time for the cruise which starts at 1 pm. Went on the cruise to see the Milfred Sound, we left the cruise terminal at about 330 pm. My mistake in earlier post, cruise took about 1 hr 45 mins; not 3 hrs.

The route from the cruise terminal back to Queenstown took more than 4 hours reaching the hotel at 8 pm.
We went through the homer tunnel, 1.2 km long road tunnel that pierce the Darren mountain linking Milfred Sound to Te Anau and Queenstown. Stopped by the Hollyford waterfall and drive around lake Te Anau back to Queenstown.
imagejpg1_zps97c8a51e.jpg

NZ has short daylights, driving through the fiord lands, the roads are not lighted, the stars in the sky are therefore more visible. We get free star gazing in the bus while driving in the dark around the bends of roads.
imagejpg2_zps861fcb5c.jpg

Depending on road conditions, there are times the roads are closed and Milfred Sound becomes impassable.
If you are planning on a day trip to MS, check out the few bus tours available on the internet, you might be able to get good deal with discounts and free bento / sandwich lunch on board the cruise.

I found that hotels in NZ provided some travel brochures for Queenstown to MS day trips and they provided rather good discounts in the travel brochures. Similarly for the helocopter rides for the fox glaciers, and jet boat rides Do check out these travel brochures in the hotel.

Last edited:

x_xicecube

Reaction score
thanks !
I am planning a trip for 8 days , touching down on christchurch with my family of 6 adult and 1 toddler.

we are interest in doing farm stay, nature walks , nature scenic cruise , overall basically rest & relaxation .
Any suggestion on how should I plan my itinerary ?

sellun

Reaction score
8days abit rush.. won't be able to fully enjoy a southern loop. I suggest you either choose
1) CHC - fox/franz - haast - wanaka- queenstown
2) CHC - lake tekapo - mt cook - wanaka - queenstown
I highly recommend coming back from queenstown or fly back to CHC via their domestic flight. You won't have time for a return trip. If want to relax, travelling by campervan is the best way!

socrates

Reaction score
Nice pictures and sharings. Reminds me of my time in New Zealand....

[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Hi check with those who self-drive in NZ. Is it easy to find petrol kiosks in NZ? How about parking at places of interest and hotels/apartments? Any toll fee etc and if yes, how to pay? Since NZ is so large country, would we end up driving alone with no other cars in sight? Possible to pick up car at one place and return at another?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance.

sien

Reaction score
Is it easy to find petrol kiosks in NZ?
It's not like S'pore, you have to top up when you are at the big towns.

How about parking at places of interest and hotels/apartments?
Mostly is free, hotels depends.

Since NZ is so large country, would we end up driving alone with no other cars in sight?
Yes.

Possible to pick up car at one place and return at another?
Yup possible.

sellun

Reaction score
Is it easy to find petrol kiosks in NZ?
It's not like S'pore, you have to top up when you are at the big towns.

- I find it reasonably easy, just top up whenever you see one.. You'll definitely see one every 50 - 100km.

How about parking at places of interest and hotels/apartments?
Mostly is free, hotels depends.

- We have not spent a single cent on parking the whole 13days driving there.

Since NZ is so large country, would we end up driving alone with no other cars in sight?
Yes.

- Definitely, sometimes you'll go 30mins to 1hr alone during winter. But thats one of my purpose going there, away from crowd.

Possible to pick up car at one place and return at another?
Yup possible.

- Most people pick up from north island then drop off at south island, some pick up from CHC and drop off from Queenstown.

Reaction score
Sien and Sellun
Thanks for advice, still pondering whether should I drive. Female with teenage daughter, just worried in case anything happens on the road alone with no help in sight.

I have done many solo trips but so far did not drive.

sellun

Reaction score
Sien and Sellun
Thanks for advice, still pondering whether should I drive. Female with teenage daughter, just worried in case anything happens on the road alone with no help in sight.

I have done many solo trips but so far did not drive.

Its really safe in NZ, its even safer than SG in my opinion. My rental company gave us a 24hr hotline for road assistance, you just gonna know your location at all times and you'll be quite safe. Its quite ulu and some place does not have cellular reception, but every now and then sure will have someone passing by, and theres a very high chance that they will stop to assist you.

sellun

Reaction score
Anyone with advice for driving during winter? (Ie. This period)

i just came back this june. what kind of advice are you looking for??? some places you might need snow chains. just follow the traffic rules and you'll be fine

hutkahn

Reaction score
i just came back this june. what kind of advice are you looking for??? some places you might need snow chains. just follow the traffic rules and you'll be fine

Ya mainly with regards to snow chains, black ice, all that. How does the handling of the car compare to roads here, for example.

I'm heading there next week for a semester, thinking of driving around to the nearer towns and sights

sellun

Reaction score
Ya mainly with regards to snow chains, black ice, all that. How does the handling of the car compare to roads here, for example.

I'm heading there next week for a semester, thinking of driving around to the nearer towns and sights

As long as you don't drive early in the morning i'm sure you will not have black ice problem. Its recommended to start your drive after 10am. Handling of car? The cars there should be exactly like here, same goes for the traffic rules.. We drove a huge 6 berth camper and have no problem at all. If you're driving around town only, I believe you will not need snow chains. Normally you'll need snow chains only at some passes... It really depends on where you're travelling. any plans yet?

hutkahn

Reaction score
As long as you don't drive early in the morning i'm sure you will not have black ice problem. Its recommended to start your drive after 10am. Handling of car? The cars there should be exactly like here, same goes for the traffic rules.. We drove a huge 6 berth camper and have no problem at all. If you're driving around town only, I believe you will not need snow chains. Normally you'll need snow chains only at some passes... It really depends on where you're travelling. any plans yet?

What I meant was if braking all that will be affected by the condition of the roads during winter, but I suppose if no black ice should be fine since there won't really be snow right?

Will be staying in Wellington, probably will plan a drive up to Auckland by a coastal route, haven't really made fixed plans yet because we will be there for a few months haha.

Will be visiting South Island probably in spring (nov) so road conditions shouldn't be much of a problem by then?

veryred

Reaction score
What I meant was if braking all that will be affected by the condition of the roads during winter, but I suppose if no black ice should be fine since there won't really be snow right?

Will be staying in Wellington, probably will plan a drive up to Auckland by a coastal route, haven't really made fixed plans yet because we will be there for a few months haha.

Will be visiting South Island probably in spring (nov) so road conditions shouldn't be much of a problem by then?

there is no snow in the north island. Or at least rarely. so driving in the north is not a prob.

Driving in the south during Spring still largely depends on the route you take!

zoer

Reaction score
Hi,

We'll be going to explore North & South Islands soon :s12:.
Below is our self-drive itineraries, kindly give your criticisms/comments/suggestions :D

1) 26 Jul: Reach Auckland, stays 2 nights
2) 28 Jul: pick-up car, go Rotorua (Waitomo Caves, Hobbiton), stays 2 nights
3) 29 Jul: go Thermal Valley, try to visit Lake Taupo.
4) 30 Jul: (leave at 08:00?) drive back to Auckland, take 14:40 flight to Nelson. Pick-up car @Nelson Airport & stay 1 night.
5) 31 Jul: long drive to Frans Josef, stays 2 nights (heli ride)
6) 2 Aug: FJ to Q'town, stays 2 nights (gondola, jetboat, bungy, Coronet Peak)
7) 4 Aug: Q'town to Te Anau (drive to Milford Sound ?), stay 1 night.
8) 5 Aug: Te Anau to Dunedin (Monarch Widlife Cruises, Larnach Castle), stay 1 night
9) 6 Aug: Dunedin to Mt. Cook (Lake Tekapo, salmon ?), stay 1 night
10) 7 Aug: Mt. Cook to Christchurch, stay 2 nights.
Return car on the 8th.
11) 9 Aug: 06:30 flight to Sydney then to Sgp :)

Wondering....
- likelihood to use snow chain at areas from no.5 to no. 9 ?
- any road closure from FJ to Q'Town ? Or other places ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

sellun

Reaction score
Hi,

We'll be going to explore North & South Islands soon :s12:.
Below is our self-drive itineraries, kindly give your criticisms/comments/suggestions :D

1) 26 Jul: Reach Auckland, stays 2 nights
2) 28 Jul: pick-up car, go Rotorua (Waitomo Caves, Hobbiton), stays 2 nights
3) 29 Jul: go Thermal Valley, try to visit Lake Taupo.
4) 30 Jul: (leave at 08:00?) drive back to Auckland, take 14:40 flight to Nelson. Pick-up car @Nelson Airport & stay 1 night.
5) 31 Jul: long drive to Frans Josef, stays 2 nights (heli ride)
6) 2 Aug: FJ to Q'town, stays 2 nights (gondola, jetboat, bungy, Coronet Peak)
7) 4 Aug: Q'town to Te Anau (drive to Milford Sound ?), stay 1 night.
8) 5 Aug: Te Anau to Dunedin (Monarch Widlife Cruises, Larnach Castle), stay 1 night
9) 6 Aug: Dunedin to Mt. Cook (Lake Tekapo, salmon ?), stay 1 night
10) 7 Aug: Mt. Cook to Christchurch, stay 2 nights.
Return car on the 8th.
11) 9 Aug: 06:30 flight to Sydney then to Sgp :)

Wondering....
- likelihood to use snow chain at areas from no.5 to no. 9 ?
- any road closure from FJ to Q'Town ? Or other places ?

Thanks!

Hi seems like you've planned to do lots of driving. Remember that you'll have very little daylight during this time of the year... Do you really want to go Dunedin? It might be pretty tight, lots of driving, not much time for activities to do.... I went to mt cook from te anau for 1 night and stayed over at lake tekapo for another night before heading to CHC and i felt just nice..

Driving in NZ WILL take longer time than what google map says because of the winding roads and icy condition during winter.

You have a pretty good chance of using snow chains if you are driving up mt cook.. There will be some TP or sign by the road to tell you if you need snow chains or not. just follow the traffic rules and you'll be fine.

go to Latest highway conditions | NZ Transport Agency for latest update on any road closure.

NZ is the most beautiful place i've been to, it'll be really cold at this time. Enjoy!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.