EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone own/ handled a hinderer before? recently saw one XM18 3" Wharncliffe at around USD300+ from hinderer's site and it was gone in minutes. now minimum is US700 almost everywhere and no stock.

They are $385 + s/h direct from maker. Rick was having special runs (20, plus another 20) to allow public to buy direct. Right now only first responders, LEOs, military can buy direct (not sure if he extends it to non-US members).

AfterMarket is now around $550-600, without adornments. Used to be $800, so it's a steal. Shipping from Rick is $45. So you'd be paying $430 direct from Rick (plus paypal fees?) if you qualify. So aftermarket premium is not crazy, just a bit more than $100.

The customs are great pieces with the belt finish on the blades. The productions are exactly the same, but boast the stonewashed finish and flat grinds (so there will be many fans). I'm just a hollow grind fan.

I'd say they fit better in the hand than many folders, but his template is an old skool one, and his flippers are not really designed to flip with authority - they can flip, but don't expect ZT801 standards =:p

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

It looks like a "dream" knife for many....but not for me. I know that that handle is going to create hot spots for me in use and I like to be able to change grips (choke up for fine work like splitting bamboo/leaves etc). Kinda reminds me of the 'machete' that Billy used in the movie Predator (that was made by Jack Crain). Swing it 10 - 20 times and you'll soon get blisters/hotspots. Sub-hilts or similar are just not for me.

It's great at that pricepoint though...I'm sure if I gave that knife to the asli, they wouldn't mind....after they have modified the handle.

As for the bladesteel - i have no idea what it is.

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It looks like a "dream" knife for many....but not for me. I know that that handle is going to create hot spots for me in use and I like to be able to change grips (choke up for fine work like splitting bamboo/leaves etc). Kinda reminds me of the 'machete' that Billy used in the movie Predator (that was made by Jack Crain). Swing it 10 - 20 times and you'll soon get blisters/hotspots. Sub-hilts or similar are just not for me.

It's great at that pricepoint though...I'm sure if I gave that knife to the asli, they wouldn't mind....after they have modified the handle.

As for the bladesteel - i have no idea what it is.

Bladesteel is 65Mn which is almost similar to 1065 carbon steel.

non stainless version of my SOG jungle canopy but tougher.

squarebox

Reaction score
DSC_0149_zpsdc6876a3.jpg

DSC_0156_zps9d62aa7c.jpg

Update:
You snooze you lose. This pretty thing went for measly $95.

Last edited:

mechwira

Reaction score
But I'll still keep the orange version just for collection sake:s22: and maybe a ZDP-189 version of a Endura and Delica. I love ZDP-189!!!

in terms of usage, what kind of differences will i experience between the original VG-10 compared to the ZDP-189? am i going to actually feel any diff in light-duty edc use and occasional honing/stropping?

i'm only a beginner collector and dont have much experience with blade steels. my knives are are all 420HC or AUS8, except of coz for my delica. all the 420HC doesnt really hold its edge very well, but its easy to sharpen, which works for me as a beginner looking for an excuse to practice sharpening and stropping. plus 420HC knives are cheap for my starter collection, and i only subject them to light-duty edc anyway.

squarebox

Reaction score
in terms of usage, what kind of differences will i experience between the original VG-10 compared to the ZDP-189? am i going to actually feel any diff in light-duty edc use and occasional honing/stropping?

i'm only a beginner collector and dont have much experience with blade steels. my knives are are all 420HC or AUS8, except of coz for my delica. all the 420HC doesnt really hold its edge very well, but its easy to sharpen, which works for me as a beginner looking for an excuse to practice sharpening and stropping. plus 420HC knives are cheap for my starter collection, and i only subject them to light-duty edc anyway.

Once you sharpen it properly the first time, you probably never have to sharpen it ever again if you dont abuse it. For example, you cant use it to cut things by brute force(e.g a baked pecan nut)as you most likely chip the edge. But for opening letters, packages, cutting fruits and etc, it take extremely long to blunt...

Sharpening to a mirror edge take more than 5 hours :s22:

Last edited:

mechwira

Reaction score
Finally the last knife arrived from ebay :s12:

CRKT Nirk Tighe 2

NT2_1.jpg

NT2_1b.jpg

obviously this knife is all about the handles.....

NT2_2.jpg

Size references, in hand:

NT2_3.JPG

and compared to delica

NT2_4.JPG

NT2_5.JPG

brief out-of-the-box review:

This knife costs in between the price of a Delica and a mini-griptilian. Yet its blade steel is only AUS8. clearly obvious this knife is trying to sell based purely on its looks and its connection to the original custom design Nirk Tighe by Brian Tighe. if you look at pics of the 'real' Nirk Tighe, the handles are identical; but theres no mistaking the blade of the real custom Nirk Tighe and the production model by CRKT.

the downside of the knife does not just stop at the blade steel vs price. the handles are made entirely of steel, with minimal chamfers or bevels. i can tell this handle will be slippery when wet, and produce hot spots when in hard/repeated use.

that klecker lockback is unique and very cool-looking. in case you dont know about the klecker lockback, it will only release the blade from fully open if you push down at the very bottom of the back-handle. even though the entire locking lever looks like a single exposed piece running down the back handle, pushing it down anywhere else wont unlock it. in fact in a full hand grip, it locks tighter because you push the entire locking bar down onto the blade tang, instead of pivoting it to release the lock.

cool? yes. unique? yes. better than a tradition lockback? actually, no. its not worse either, its just that the end-performance is the same. it locks the blade in fully open, and you push down somewhere on the back handle to release. it is unique, it looks cool, but to the end user it works exactly like any other lockback. it just looks cool.

but the flipper, i really like. smooth, with a ball bearing system (another first for me). 9 times out of 10 the blade fully deploys with the flipper without any wrist action. you can also use the spyderhole-like thumb thingies to open the blade.

and thats the conclusion for the story about the CRKT Nirk Tighe 2: its all about the looks. and looks is subjective. do you think it looks cool? cool enough to be worth the price between a delica and mini-grip despite a mere AUS8 steel? and are you just going to carry it around like the stylish gentleman's folder and use it only in light duty?

if yes, you'll be happy. it looks good enough for people to ask "hey whats that first?" before they panic. they'll still panic once they realize its a knife, but at least its beauty distracts them first =:p

but if you dont fancy its looks, or you expect more performance out of your knife, the CRKT Nirk Tighe 2 has nothing to offer you.

Kachangputay

Reaction score
CRKT Foresight

hi guys! have been stalking this forum for quite some time now :s13:

anyway! i was thinking of getting a crkt foresight with the IKBS ball bearing system.

what do you guys think!

mamba2012

Reaction score

anyway! i was thinking of getting a crkt foresight with the IKBS ball bearing system.

what do you guys think!

If u see it and u like it, go for it! And then perhaps u could share some info for the rest of the knife collectors by doing a little review like what mechwira did?

And mechwira, thank u for sharing the info!

Lastly, I have 3 full customs coming in in abt 3-4 months time and I will do a review on each one. Stay tuned :)

mechwira

Reaction score

what do you guys think!

i donno how advanced you are in knife collecting or wat you plan to use the knife for, but based on dimensions i can say this knife will be too big for a daily pocket edc.

it is likely to make itself felt in your pocket all day, and people around you will think you're crazy when you whip out such a "big" knife to cut something.

if you just plan to keep it in a collection, or you're looking at outdoors hiking/camping use, then of its size is not so relevant.

sojourn88

Reaction score

what do you guys think!

Dear Kachangputay (haahaa)
I have the Foresight, personally engraved by Ken Onion, it was first production series, and although it is partially serrated, I jumped at the chance to own a signed copy. I would prefer a plane edge...but who cares when there is a chance to own his signed version. I think my version is Acuto+ steel for first production models. Now it is AUS8 for production models.

52465347201209191408224206123182483_000_640.jpg

52465347201209191408224206123182483_001_640.jpg

yes, I agree it is heavy and huge blade. it is actually a 3.5" blade with 4mm thickness but looks huge due to its fat belly.. u are buying a lot of metal actually, so it is "value for money" ...hahhhaa.. but I like the shape of the blade with slight recurve, and the all black looks.

Along the spine of the blade is a generous radius, which makes it very nice to handle, no sharp edges. In terms of manufacturing, this is very costly to make.
The flipping action is no complaints too! I like huge handle, and this one fits into the palm ergonomically. Lastly, I like its beautiful curves on the blade and handle.

Personally for me, it is collection, so I don't care about the big thing in the pocket, CRKT market it as a tactical EDC, a lot of people here will disagree it as a EDC knife, although it can be tactical.

A nice little review here by edgeobserver:
CRKT Foresight by Ken Onion | The Edge Observer - THE EDGE OBSERVER

Anyway, as Mamba says.. if you like it.. go ahead and enjoy.

====
PS: if you prefer a smaller Ken Onion knife with smooth IKBS, check out the Ripple here:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/general-merchandise-bazaar-261/%5Bwts%5D-crkt-ripple-flipper-linerlock-folding-knife-4679686.html

Last edited:

Kachangputay

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys! yeap i'm just collecting knives and using it around the house whenever i can :) As for EDC goes, i carry a victorinox SAK out with me! I dont usually carry a blade with me cos im not particular sure with the laws and all, but if i do, i bring out a small one like the CRKT m16-01z.

Anyway, i hope to slowly expand my knife collection soon! started collecting last year haha

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys! yeap i'm just collecting knives and using it around the house whenever i can :) As for EDC goes, i carry a victorinox SAK out with me! I dont usually carry a blade with me cos im not particular sure with the laws and all, but if i do, i bring out a small one like the CRKT m16-01z.

Anyway, i hope to slowly expand my knife collection soon! started collecting last year haha

hello kachang, welcome to the thread. Since you have just started, here's some friendly advice - have a plan in your mind with regard to your collection, for eg.

- are you interested in fixed, folding or other types of blades?
- are you interested in quantity vs quality? (this has a huge impact on spending patterns)
- are you interested in performance or aesthetics or both?
- do you see yourself carrying your knives?
- do you know the laws around the use and carry of knives locally?
- are you prepared to maintain your knives?
- and a host of other considerations.

I have seen many guys start off buying knives they 'think' they can 'afford' (this is not about rich/poor but your 'budget')...so they get a lot of lower-end knives. Nothing wrong with that till they start experiencing better quality knives (especially if you're a user) or custom knives and then they lament the lack of funds to acquire a good knife, having spent a great amount on the lower end knives. It is an experience that many collectors go through...unless your tastes were already refined right in the beginning. The biggest problem is the lack of places to see, feel and experience knives...so buying and handling is the way most of us educate ourselves.

For eg. a good fixed blade from say, Bob Dozier, will run you USD300. X may balk at the amount and say he cannot afford it (note: if you want to see D2 at its best, then Doziers are one of the best examples).

however, X has no issues spending the same USD300 on 3 different coldsteel knives with AUS8A steel. Knives that are easy to sharpen but dull fast in the field, and feel 'cookie' cutter.

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity and there is no dearth of quality blades out there at every pricepoint - the key is doing research, talking to a lot of people and taking the plunge!

There's no right or wrong, do whatever makes you happy as one man's meat is another man's poison. But do buy the best you can afford and use the right tool for the right job :D

Happy collecting.

ps: there are custom SAKs out there too! =:p

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.