Public transport in Singapore: Ride bicycle is faster.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One car park lot can park at least 8 bicycles comfortably, many more if U pile them up/ build racks. U can transport many more ppl on bicycles than U can on cars. Terrain dependent also (floods normally don't stop cyclist unlike cars- the 'ponding' in SG that is). Just don't get another Ferrari driving CEO to manage the MRT pls, such CEOs only know how to count $$$, the mechanical functioning of the trains don't seem much of their concern (she made the chief engineers there quit- IIRC)

Anyhow, U can also hang bikes on walls (in office etc) or squeeze them under desk if collapsible.

BTW, SG fell in WWII to Japanese soldiers riding stolen bicycles.

Maybe people will start cycling when flooded roads become impassable due to blockages or waterlogged traffic... I don't know. Maybe Dr Vivian knows... floods, droughts... yeah!

Kind of simple assumption. Try using Bicycle for 10km and rainly day ! Has a friend did that, but he has to take a bath before starting his work in office !

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kind of simple assumption. Try using Bicycle for 10km and rainly day ! Has a friend did that, but he has to take a bath before starting his work in office !

Half of Sinkapooreans are male and should be SAF trained and at least able to shoot M16. Point is, what is a few drops of rain when training in the jungle goes on despite cat1 thunderstorms (lightning cannot see soldiers under foliage cover). Anyhow, maybe more than half of all reservist take MC during the outfield segment of ICT, so cannot blame, Sinkapooreans must drive cars because nobody can predict when it will rain...

Again, I say bus lanes are important so that flood breakdown cars will not block public transport: buses can are more resistant than cars to floods. For those who bike, one must always be prepared to ditch bike (lock it at MRT station) and take train or bus. Rain or no rain, outcome is still need to take bath at office, but that would be a refreshing start...

BTW, pls wear helmet/ cap with shade if U wear glasses when it rains: so that your lenses do not fog up...

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Half of Sinkapooreans are male and should be SAF trained and at least able to shoot M16. Point is, what is a few drops of rain when training in the jungle goes on despite cat1 thunderstorms (lightning cannot see soldiers under foliage cover). Anyhow, maybe more than half of all reservist take MC during the outfield segment of ICT, so cannot blame, Sinkapooreans must drive cars because nobody can predict when it will rain...

Again, I say bus lanes are important so that flood breakdown cars will not block public transport: buses can are more resistant than cars to floods. For those who bike, one must always be prepared to ditch bike (lock it at MRT station) and take train or bus. Rain or no rain, outcome is still need to take bath at office, but that would be a refreshing start...

BTW, pls wear helmet/ cap with shade if U wear glasses when it rains: so that your lenses do not fog up...

Sure. But these SAF "trained" are only for short 2 years !! May be only 10% of them are really "fit" and continue to be fit after the training.

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have an advice for cherry6.

If you want to argue for people using bicycles for work, then your value proposition should NOT be about saving the environment or cost. I would be very happy if you can come up with reasons other than the ones above.

Because these reasons are not on the top of the minds of drivers.

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have an advice for cherry6.
If you want to argue for people using bicycles for work, then your value proposition should NOT be about saving the environment or cost. I would be very happy if you can come up with reasons other than the ones above.
Because these reasons are not on the top of the minds of drivers.
Have already explained that from a policy perspective, population health, carbon use reduction, road space rationing (I quote my earlier post) are important considerations in good government:
Efficient use of road space for shorter distances, ride bicycle is better:
"In the space it takes to accommodate 60 cars, cities can accommodate around sixteen buses or more than 600 bikes. As Australia’s population swells and our cities experience ever increasing congestion we need to get smarter about how we use existing road space—including investing more in alternatives such as public transport and cycling—if we are to move people more efficiently and effectively.” said former professional cyclist Stephen Hodge (Australia).
7999178447_e3e87542fe_o.jpg

CanberraTransportPhoto.jpg

Münster's iconic 'waste of space' photo keeps on giving - Bikehub - http://www.bikehub.co.uk
Related:
- http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...ride-bicycle-faster-3572846.html#post63381451

Probably, just as the MRT reliability to users is not of paramount importance in the MRT fares review process, neither do I think the interest of car drivers are PAP gahmen's interest where COE availability and pricing should be concerned, COE bidders are just another piggy bank to them...
fare-hike.jpg
[IMG URL]

Also, pls be reminded that according to the top, everything in Sinkapoor is about dollars and cents, and earning as much $$$ as possible from the way Minister Lim HK replied in parliament, PAP Minister do not even respect human life...
ST23Mar2007-%2BWhy%2Bpay%2Bmust%2Bgo%2Bup.JPG

E.g. Ex-Minister of Health, now Trade N Industry Minister, Lim Hng Kiang :
"...I regret making the decision because, in the end, the baby continued to be in intensive care, and KKH now runs up a total bill of more than $300,000..."- Lim Hng Kiang, regretting the decision to save a baby's life because KKH ran up a $300K (bill).

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you post less, you use less electricity and hence less carbon. Best is do not use a pc, then you save the earth by using less un-recyclable parts like battery.

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you post less, you use less electricity and hence less carbon. Best is do not use a pc, then you save the earth by using less un-recyclable parts like battery.
Guess I use less fossil fuel based energy posting with energy efficient android tablet, rather than taking a long distance holiday... Everybody has 24hours in one day...

The following advertisement is a fake BTW...
Picture-126.png
[IMG URL]

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Half of Sinkapooreans are male and should be SAF trained and at least able to shoot M16.

Also essentially, what you are saying is singaporean male should cycle because they are SAF trained? This is the best way to alienate your target group.

You have answered why most people dun cycle. It rains in singapore.

You also have a very romantic look at cycling to work and shower at work.

Now we look more realistically at why people dun cycle...

1st, I live 45 min away from work by MRT. By cycle, maybe 1 - 1 1/2 hrs away.

I start work at 830am. This means, i need to leave home by 7am. This also means, I need to send my kids to childcare before that. But then... childcare opens only at 7am!

I end work at 6pm. This mean I reach home at 730pm. But my childcare closes at 7pm!

Even if the childcare can close at 730pm, this means my kids stay in the childcare for 12 1/2 hours!

The above do not factor in shower.

My boss are likely to demand i start work without the smell of sweat. Assuming I do SAF time and shower within 10 min. This means i have to move my leave-home time at 650am. Before the childcare opens! How is my kids going to go to childcare themselves???

Next, lets assume everyone or at least 1/2 the population cycle. This means, i have to q for the shower at work. If i factor in waiting for at least two other persons showering at SAF time. This means another 20 min is lost. So my kids are going to childcare at 630am?

So my time lost to work+cycle will be 630am to 730pm. app 13 hours. But my boss pays me for 830am to 6pm! So who is going to pay me for the extra hours (630am - 745am and 645pm - 730pm)?

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also essentially, what you are saying is singaporean male should cycle because they are SAF trained? This is the best way to alienate your target group.

You have answered why most people dun cycle. It rains in singapore.
You also have a very romantic look at cycling to work and shower at work.
Now we look more realistically at why people dun cycle...
1st, I live 45 min away from work by MRT. By cycle, maybe 1 - 1 1/2 hrs away.
I start work at 830am. This means, i need to leave home by 7am. This also means, I need to send my kids to childcare before that. But then... childcare opens only at 7am!
I end work at 6pm. This mean I reach home at 730pm. But my childcare closes at 7pm!
Even if the childcare can close at 730pm, this means my kids stay in the childcare for 12 1/2 hours!
The above do not factor in shower.
My boss are likely to demand i start work without the smell of sweat. Assuming I do SAF time and shower within 10 min. This means i have to move my leave-home time at 650am. Before the childcare opens! How is my kids going to go to childcare themselves???
Next, lets assume everyone or at least 1/2 the population cycle. This means, i have to q for the shower at work. If i factor in waiting for at least two other persons showering at SAF time. This means another 20 min is lost. So my kids are going to childcare at 630am?
So my time lost to work+cycle will be 630am to 730pm. app 13 hours. But my boss pays me for 830am to 6pm! So who is going to pay me for the extra hours (630am - 745am and 645pm - 730pm)?
Please lah, I am not like LKY, say stop at 2 means stop at 2 otherwise, summon, school disadvantage/ even Communist China gahmen: force U have abortion. This is modern world, many moving parts.

If more cycle, population will be fitter, Medishield-life payouts will decrease, extra $$$ saved can improve public transport and build proper cycle tracks and toilet facilities of not more green spaces : e.g parks with proper toilets.

More cycle from close by towns e.g. Lavender, TiongBharu, maybe even BuonaVista means less congestion/ MRT train overload/ hyper increase frequency etc. Also less exponential public transport/ bus fare rules increase cos people more independent, don't need to 100% depend on motor vehicle transport. Your kids maybe more accepting of using public transport: easier to get seats cos able bodied cycle.

Bout the toilet, technology will allow people to work from home, go office for important deals or meetings only, so not everyone must be at desk at 8.30am: time is staggered. Maybe even have indoor swimming pool/ park in business district: if Sink@poor is sufficient funds and land for that.

Its all about planning long term. Unfortunately, since we seem to be followin the USA path of high carbon consumption and high chronic disease prevalence with Obama care being the resultant permanent stop-gap solution (kicking the can down the road), all I have said might just be a pipe dream.

And then we will just say, I know, how good it could have been....

And as public transport improves with lesserload factor (some PT com!users switch to cycling), overall PT experience improves and some existing motorcar users switch to using PT: COE prices then do not have to further increase.

I could go on...

BTW, when I was in SAF, shower was 1 minute, until some chorbo complained about seeing naked men running up down the corridor...

Last edited:

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please lah, I am not like LKY, say stop at 2 means stop at 2 otherwise, summon, school disadvantage/ even Communist China gahmen: force U have abortion. This is modern world, many moving parts.

Lots of red herring here... Maybe you can start a fish farm...

MY conclusion is Advocates of cycling ignore the reality of life....

But let me entertain you a bit...

If more cycle, population will be fitter, Medishield-life payouts will decrease, extra $$$ saved can improve public transport and build proper cycle tracks and toilet facilities of not more green spaces : e.g parks with proper toilets.

more cycle, more may get sports injuries. medishield-life payout may increase...

Public transport infrastructure will need to be changed to cater for the new mode of transport. aka more bike stands, bike lanes, toilets with shower...

guess where the money will come from?

More cycle from close by towns e.g. Lavender, TiongBharu, maybe even BuonaVista means less congestion/ MRT train overload/ hyper increase frequency etc. Also less exponential public transport/ bus fare rules increase cos people more independent, don't need to 100% depend on motor vehicle transport. Your kids maybe more accepting of using public transport: easier to get seats cos able bodied cycle.

So what about people now living in other estates? no need to work?

fare increased not peg to frequency. in fact with less people travelling on MRT, fare will have to increase even higher to enable the operators to "not make a lost".

You still have no solution for my kids in childcare?

Bout the toilet, technology will allow people to work from home, go office for important deals or meetings only, so not everyone must be at desk at 8.30am: time is staggered. Maybe even have indoor swimming pool/ park in business district: if Sink@poor is sufficient funds and land for that.

This is more about work from home. got nothing about cycling...

staggered working hours? According to US/UK or Jap financial market?

Its all about planning long term. Unfortunately, since we seem to be followin the USA path of high carbon consumption and high chronic disease prevalence with Obama care being the resultant permanent stop-gap solution (kicking the can down the road), all I have said might just be a pipe dream.

Is it short term planning or lack of long term planning? or blind following of USA? Identify the problem properly will allow you to push your agenda and solve the problem...

And as public transport improves with lesserload factor (some PT com!users switch to cycling), overall PT experience improves and some existing motorcar users switch to using PT: COE prices then do not have to further increase.

As long as the govt wants coe prices to go up, it will. just reduce the supply below the demand. nothing about cycling can solve the problem...

BTW, when I was in SAF, shower was 1 minute,...

And you were saying something about "Please lah, I am not like LKY, say stop at 2 means stop at 2 otherwise, summon, school disadvantage/ even Communist China gahmen: force U have abortion. This is modern world, many moving parts."...

So you still have no solution about the long waits for shower, and the eventual longer time needed away from family that your cycling proposal will create.

Please do take into account of human nature in your proposal. Otherwise, your proposal will be no better then the ivy tower proposals we have been seeing...

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lots of red herring here... Maybe you can start a fish farm...
MY conclusion is Advocates of cycling ignore the reality of life....
But let me entertain you a bit...
more cycle, more may get sports injuries. medishield-life payout may increase...
Public transport infrastructure will need to be changed to cater for the new mode of transport. aka more bike stands, bike lanes, toilets with shower...
guess where the money will come from?
So what about people now living in other estates? no need to work?
fare increased not peg to frequency. in fact with less people travelling on MRT, fare will have to increase even higher to enable the operators to "not make a lost".
You still have no solution for my kids in childcare?

This is more about work from home. got nothing about cycling...

staggered working hours? According to US/UK or Jap financial market?
Is it short term planning or lack of long term planning? or blind following of USA? Identify the problem properly will allow you to push your agenda and solve the problem...

As long as the govt wants coe prices to go up, it will. just reduce the supply below the demand. nothing about cycling can solve the problem...
And you were saying something about "Please lah, I am not like LKY, say stop at 2 means stop at 2 otherwise, summon, school disadvantage/ even Communist China gahmen: force U have abortion. This is modern world, many moving parts."...
So you still have no solution about the long waits for shower, and the eventual longer time needed away from family that your cycling proposal will create.
Please do take into account of human nature in your proposal. Otherwise, your proposal will be no better then the ivy tower proposals we have been seeing...
Please lah, I never said that everyone must cycle: just as many as possible should, but the change must be gentle. Many parts of the economy, already proven outdated must change as well through: e.g. inefficient office work where pong hours do not necessary mean greater productivity: just kowtow to greater hirechy etc.

Must learn from some foreign talents, get around on bicycle cos to them, PT is expensive. Locals own cars, blue collar foreign talents own bicycles (although some road safety training and helmets will serve most of them well).

Point is, it is not just the bicycle that has to change, the innovativeness of Sinkies must improve too as this world pays highly for innovation: just see the price of Apple computer products as opposed to T-shirts and other cheap plastic stuff.

Various subsidies may have to change, as would work hours to cater for better work life balance. Greater health consciousness will have to be implemented before like Obama care, either the country goes bankrupt, or premiums shoot through the roof.

So please stop complaining boys and girls, any change must be for the greater universal good. Better change now rather than wait for PAP's dream of 6.9million population to come true. By then it would probably be all refugees arriving from fleeing their sunken island states, for a short while before Singapore sinks too...

Something tells me, based upon the feedback received, that Sinkies are best governed in the way Kim Jong En governs N Korea, cos everything they do, always only think of self-benifit first...

124365378_NKorea_01_396977b.jpg
[IMG URL]

Last edited:

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please lah, I never said that everyone must cycle: just as many as possible should, but the change must be gentle. Many parts of the economy, already proven outdated must change as well through: e.g. inefficient office work where pong hours do not necessary mean greater productivity: just kowtow to greater hirechy etc.

The reality people faces means not many will take up your call. ignore these reality and you will start sounding like ivory tower idealist.

Must learn from some foreign talents, get around on bicycle cos to them, PT is expensive. Locals own cars, blue collar foreign talents own bicycles (although some road safety training and helmets will serve most of them well).

You mean FW?

You also note that these people mainly just cycle to the MRT right? Or they rent a place near their workplace.

Singaporean buy an expensive lease and might not be living anywhere near their work place. So how to cycle?

Point is, it is not just the bicycle that has to change, the innovativeness of Sinkies must improve too as this world pays highly for innovation: just see the price of Apple computer products as opposed to T-shirts and other cheap plastic stuff.

Selective example. How many US businesses that aspire to be Apple had closed?

Various subsidies may have to change, as would work hours to cater for better work life balance. Greater health consciousness will have to be implemented before like Obama care, either the country goes bankrupt, or premiums shoot through the roof.

Chicken and egg.

You are asking people to change first or these policies to change first?

How likely is it for the incumbents to change?

So please stop complaining boys and girls, any change must be for the greater universal good. Better change now rather than wait for PAP's dream of 6.9million population to come true. By then it would probably be all refugees arriving from fleeing their sunken island states, for a short while before Singapore sinks too...

Great! anyone who dun subscribe to your point of view is complaining and contributing to the 6.9. Great way to win argument.

Something tells me, based upon the feedback received, that Sinkies are best governed in the way Kim Jong En governs N Korea, cos everything they do, always only think of self-benifit first...

I think you misunderstood. In NK, people are not allowed to think, nor do they do anything to benefit themselves. Its all about the survival of the Great State... :s8:

steve0hh

Reaction score
wouldn't mind cycling to mrt/work if the bicycle theft problem is resolved. :( that time i park outside mrt. 1 chain kena broken. lucky another 1 thick enough cannot cut through..

suprememessiah

Reaction score
wouldn't mind cycling to mrt/work if the bicycle theft problem is resolved. :( that time i park outside mrt. 1 chain kena broken. lucky another 1 thick enough cannot cut through..

wah. you actually put 2 chains ah. I only put 1 very thick 1 to prevent theft...

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would consider this kind of thing IF I do not work at a place right across the island...

getting home from work on public transport take a good 2hours...

I can change my job, yes yes I know..... :s22:

steve0hh

Reaction score
I would consider this kind of thing IF I do not work at a place right across the island...

getting home from work on public transport take a good 2hours...

I can change my job, yes yes I know..... :s22:

Haha. I feel you bro.
I stay central but study pioneer there.
How to cycle?! Haha. But I always cycle to MRT station and park there until my chain broke, I scared liao.

steve0hh

Reaction score
wah. you actually put 2 chains ah. I only put 1 very thick 1 to prevent theft...

I put one is to lock the bicycle frame, that 1 thick.
Another one thinner, I use to lock both wheels.
I always see those cycle lock the frame. but back wheel missing.

alfseeto

Reaction score
I cycle to work on a mixture of park connectors and roads. There are so many traffic lights in Singapore that I waste a lot of time waiting at these junctions. On the PCN I reach 20-23km/h, but factor in all the waiting time my average speed is only 16km/h.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I cycle to work on a mixture of park connectors and roads. There are so many traffic lights in Singapore that I waste a lot of time waiting at these junctions. On the PCN I reach 20-23km/h, but factor in all the waiting time my average speed is only 16km/h.

That's true.

I still think the main issue is the heat in Singapore. Its hellish to cycle under the mid-day sun, but great to cycle on pcn at night.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.