Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

grynove

Reaction score
i already having astril 6mth. waiting for my roku delivery. u subscribing their vpn or dns? which type actually better for roku usage. vpn or dns type?

elpibe10

Reaction score
i already having astril 6mth. waiting for my roku delivery. u subscribing their vpn or dns? which type actually better for roku usage. vpn or dns type?

I'm using Astrill too. That's my primary VPN for video streaming.

TorGuard is more like a backup for Astrill (video) and PIA (P2P).

They're all VPN. I have FreedomVPN from VQ too which is a smart DNS but it doesn't stream as well (occasional lag on BBC, ITV & Viki) as Astrill so I'm in the midst of routing the entire network traffic (video streaming) via Astrill instead.

I use Apple TV 3 (2 of them) which is similar to Roku and they're both permanently routed out (using router's Policy-based Routing) via Astrill.

newbish

Reaction score

They're all VPN. I have FreedomVPN from VQ too which is a smart DNS but it doesn't stream as well (occasional lag on BBC, ITV & Viki) as Astrill so I'm in the midst of routing the entire network traffic (video streaming) via Astrill instead.

I use Apple TV 3 (2 of them) which is similar to Roku and they're both permanently routed out (using router's Policy-based Routing) via Astrill.

hey any idea which servers are good on PIA? thanks! :)

elpibe10

Reaction score
hey any idea which servers are good on PIA? thanks! :)

For video or P2P ?

If video, which country ?

Their California servers used to be good for video streaming but probably due to over-subscription, those servers have now become almost unusable unless you don't mind SD quality. The only remaining 'usable' US servers (for video streaming) are those in the Mid West.

newbish

Reaction score
For video or P2P ?

If video, which country ?

Their California servers used to be good for video streaming but probably due to over-subscription, those servers have now become almost unusable unless you don't mind SD quality. The only remaining 'usable' US servers (for video streaming) are those in the Mid West.

i see. i'll have a try thanks. what about for peering? :o

sg_scouser

Reaction score

bro..do a review on roku when u received it ya..hahah..kinda interested in it too:s12:

elpibe10

Reaction score
i see. i'll have a try thanks. what about for peering? :o

Not all of their servers support P2P but among those that do, NL and CA (not the ones in Toronto) are the best (in terms of performance and stability).

bro..do a review on roku when u received it ya..hahah..kinda interested in it too:s12:

I had the Roku 1 previously but gave it away as I disliked the remote control (short distance and got to aim at Roku to work). Other than that, its more flexible compared to Apple TV but if you have iPad and iPhone, the ATV is actually more useful (AirPlay is a huge + for me).

stiwipl

Reaction score

I am also looking for Astrill backup just in case if they are down and I am travelling to some highly censored countries. However since I am Mac user, it is important for me to have nice and stable app. Astrill has the best Mac app with most flexible options. Which other VPNs have a good desktop app? Based on my research VyprVPN is trying hard to impress with their both desktop and mobile apps. Any others? HMA, ExpressVPN?

elpibe10

Reaction score
I am also looking for Astrill backup just in case if they are down and I am travelling to some highly censored countries. However since I am Mac user, it is important for me to have nice and stable app. Astrill has the best Mac app with most flexible options. Which other VPNs have a good desktop app? Based on my research VyprVPN is trying hard to impress with their both desktop and mobile apps. Any others? HMA, ExpressVPN?

I'm afraid I can't help you with that as I don't use any of their apps (everything configured on the MikroTik router). :o

For my rMBP & iPad, the VPN settings were manually configured too.

grynove

Reaction score

can consider torguard. speed so so. they have viscosity for the MBP. quite convenient in changing server.

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Does DNS type allow more bandwidth for video streaming from what I heard? Didn't compare myself but the cost is definitely cheaper. Will try http://www.overplay.net/ soon.

elpibe10

Reaction score
Does DNS type allow more bandwidth for video streaming from what I heard? Didn't compare myself but the cost is definitely cheaper. Will try http://www.overplay.net/ soon.

If true then how come Astrill VPN no lag but VQ's FreedomVPN (Smart DNS) occasionally lags (for BBC, ITV & Viki specifically) ?

I guess other factors are involved too like routing efficiency, etc.

grynove

Reaction score

worth to try unotelly also. was on their trial is not bad.

overplay have trial ??
however after tried astrill quite surprised with their quality.

im on MOL 50M btw. ITV no buffering. BBC sometimes only.
for some reason BBC need more BW than ITV.

lesson learned. cheap is not always good. good is confirmed not cheap.

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
worth to try unotelly also. was on their trial is not bad.

overplay have trial ??
however after tried astrill quite surprised with their quality.

im on MOL 50M btw. ITV no buffering. BBC sometimes only.
for some reason BBC need more BW than ITV.

lesson learned. cheap is not always good. good is confirmed not cheap.

Yes unotelly not too bad. Overplay is $5 a month for limited features so you can just try one month to see. BBC iPlayer is their specialty. OverPlay Review | VPN Creative

sajidali27

Reaction score
For Streaming I would recommend PIA, PureVPN, IPVanish they are best and allow access to watch live streaming with fast speed.. They have great protocols such as L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN etc which provide total anonymity and dedicated IP.. Multiple servers in different locations so you can get desired country IP as well to watch Hulu, Netflix and other streaming channels..

Mr_Farmer

Reaction score
PIA / Hulu+ / Roku3 user here (and also through VPN router)

Am thinking of switching to Astrill as recommended by bros here 'cause many IPs blocked by Hulu and the remaining ones are slow

any Astrill + Hulu users here can advise no problems with Hulu?

thanks!

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In Astrill 2.9.2 (build 2016) 8/July/2014

This version brings reliability and speed improvements for both OpenVPN/StealthVPN and OpenWeb and full support for new OpenWeb v2 protocol. As we plan to deploy OpenWeb v2 in several weeks to all servers, this update is necessary.

- New: updated network redirector (LSP) component (Windows); Fixes some IE related crashes.
- New: updated OpenSSL to 1.0.1h. AES-NI is now supported client side
- New: Switched default encryption from BlowFish to AES for security and speed.
- New: OpenWeb autotuning for speed (The more you surf, the faster it becomes!)
- New: Improved windows installer to update LSP and TAP driver only if necessary, so reboot is not needed always.
- Fixed: some minor HTTP keep-alive improvements (OpenWeb)
- Fixed: OpenWeb handshake bug (only OpenWeb v2 protocol)
- Fixed: included some patches from OpenVPN branch 2.3.x (improves connectivity in some cases)
- Fixed: a bug in TAP adapter on Windows (DHCP issue)
- Fixed: an attempt to make fonts look smooth on Mac retina. Graphics not yet fully fixed.
- Fixed: CryptoPlus additional ciphers (CAST and BlowFish 256/512-bit options) where not working on Linux
- Other: other improvements/fixes.

When installing new version over the old version, don't forget to reboot your computer for all changes to be applied correctly !

bagger 288

Suspended
Reaction score
I bet you've never experienced / witnessed a dozen policemen + lawyers from anti-piracy org storming in to your office/house to want to take such risk.

Might as well just P2P w/o VPN. Faster that way ;)

who cares :s22::s22::s22:

wc1985

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Streaming I would recommend PIA, PureVPN, IPVanish they are best and allow access to watch live streaming with fast speed.. They have great protocols such as L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN etc which provide total anonymity and dedicated IP.. Multiple servers in different locations so you can get desired country IP as well to watch Hulu, Netflix and other streaming channels..

Do all of them have Servers in China, I wish to unblock China streaming content

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.