Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccchin

Reaction score
problems solved.
moved antenna near to window solving signals fluctuate problem.
got video but no audio problem, solved by convert the file (ts format) to avi format (or other common formats)

I am surprised that you need to do that to get the signals in bukit batok. Either the draco antenna is awful or faulty or the signals still does not permeate deep into the hdb flats. I suspect it is the former since my amazon antenna is able to get a signal w/o placing it near the window at bukit merah.

crazyliao

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why not get the Amazon antenna? Redhill and Telok Blangah sure can get signal. I didn't even have to try.

the Amazon antenna cost around S$70 if I am not wrong. is so expensive where this one only S$29, less than half the price!!

but just want to ensure it work if not, is a waste of money again.

jaloon

Reaction score
but just want to ensure it work if not, is a waste of money again.
I have the high-performance version from Amazon that is un-powered, and it works for receiving the DVB-T2 channels. TV is Sony 50W704A with DVB-T2 tuner. Also picked up a lot of scrambled channels.

b00mxer

Reaction score
I have the high-performance version from Amazon that is un-powered, and it works for receiving the DVB-T2 channels. TV is Sony 50W704A with DVB-T2 tuner. Also picked up a lot of scrambled channels.

High floor or low floor.

LxIxVxE

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
can i feed 2 digital antenna into 1 tv?

of cos u can
use a tv splitter as a combiner
best is use identical antennas

trial and error to find the best placement for best signal

for digital channels only, think not suitable for analog channels

maybe can read up more by googling for ganging antenna

ccchin

Reaction score
of cos u can

This method may cause image distortion due to phase shift in signals. Need additional electronics to ensure the 2 digital signals are in phase. One good antenna is better than two. :s13:

Last edited:

tiankongsky

Reaction score
Hi guys I tried tuning my tv. But I only have channel 5, tv1 (?) that is clear. Slightly shaky channel 8 and okto. But no channel U and channel newsasia .
I connected the cable from the tv box thing that is on the wall. Sorry I'm bad with the technical terms?
Am I missing something??
I really want to get all the FTA channels.
P.S : I have the starhub adverts on my tv too.

LxIxVxE

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
ccchin said:
This method may cause image distortion due to phase shift in signals. Need additional electronics to ensure the 2 digital signals are in phase. One good antenna is better than two. :s13:

have played with combined antenna before
didn't encounter any side effect on video quality and no noticeable improvement either since signal already max with a single cheapo antenna

anyway, he can always read up more online, experience it himself and learn

ACeRyan

Reaction score
Hi guys I tried tuning my tv. But I only have channel 5, tv1 (?) that is clear. Slightly shaky channel 8 and okto. But no channel U and channel newsasia .
I connected the cable from the tv box thing that is on the wall. Sorry I'm bad with the technical terms?
Am I missing something??
I really want to get all the FTA channels.
P.S : I have the starhub adverts on my tv too.

Are you using a DVB-T2 TV to receive?
Or a DVB-T2 set-top box?

If you want to receive the new HD channels you have to have either one of the above, and you need an indoor antenna. Connecting to the wall will not get you FTA HD channels.

ACeRyan

Reaction score
thanks for the price.

my place near redhill and only 3-4Q then can get the digital signal. if I install the booster antenna now, can it be sure I will receive all the digital channels??

We haven't tested in Redhill yet as none of us is staying there.
However we believe there shouldn't be any issue as even Simei, Tampines is able to receive.

Maybe later on when other users have tested in Redhill we can share the results here.

Can also try bro kmchow98's Amazon recommendation :)

As for the AC Ryan booster antenna, is it able to use if I were to just connect to my T2 TV?

:)

Yes bro you can just connect it straight to your T2 TV.

Lucky123

Master Member
Reaction score
of cos u can

Using splitters for antenna will not improve the signal, in fact it might deteriorate the signal. 2 antennae receiver works on diversity reception which each antenna has to run on a separate tuner chip. It is mostly used for mobile receivers such as those installed in the cars to improve on the reception.

ccchin

Reaction score
have played with combined antenna before
didn't encounter any side effect on video quality and no noticeable improvement either since signal already max with a single cheapo antenna

anyway, he can always read up more online, experience it himself and learn

Definitely agreed with your points on experience and learning. :)

After googling on ganging antenna, found out that antenna signal phase shift can be compensated by re-positioning the antenna (via some guidelines) until both signals are in phase, thus resulting in signal gain.

There are other criterias but seriously, this is a project for the techies. And recommended for areas where reception is so poor that a single antenna is unable to get a stable reception.

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
problems solved.
moved antenna near to window solving signals fluctuate problem.
got video but no audio problem, solved by convert the file (ts format) to avi format (or other common formats)

sorry ah

where did you pick it u p from? looking to get myself one of these too

tiankongsky

Reaction score
I just plug it into the wall socket?
Where do I get the set top box?
Also I must get an indoor antenna?
I'm so confused @.@

Windowlover

Reaction score
After using for months, realise quality signal 100% but signal strength 55%, any effect for pictures quality ?:s22:

sgmem88

Reaction score
Are you using a DVB-T2 TV to receive?
Or a DVB-T2 set-top box?

If you want to receive the new HD channels you have to have either one of the above, and you need an indoor antenna. Connecting to the wall will not get you FTA HD channels.

would like to correct the above...

Connecting to the SCV point on wall will not get you FTA HD channels.
Connecting to the TV(aka MATV) point on wall MAY get you FTA HD channels....but how long it can last, don't know...

a happy FTA HD channels user connecting DVB-T2 TV to MATV point on wall... :D

stamina

Reaction score
would like to correct the above...

Connecting to the SCV point on wall will not get you FTA HD channels.
Connecting to the TV(aka MATV) point on wall MAY get you FTA HD channels....but how long it can last, don't know...

a happy FTA HD channels user connecting DVB-T2 TV to MATV point on wall... :D
Not all hdb flats are installed with Master rooftop antenna right? My mums old flat has, my new 2 year old flat dnt have.how about those new flats currently being build?

b00mxer

Reaction score
Not all hdb flats are installed with Master rooftop antenna right? My mums old flat has, my new 2 year old flat dnt have.how about those new flats currently being build?

We should educate everyone that DVB-T2 reception is only reliable using your OWN indoor antenna. MATV or SCV points are currently not the official recommended way to receive them.

And you are right about MATV antennas. They're only available on older flats. Newer ones phased out already. New flats now depend tv reception via scv point which only supports DVB-C and analog currently. Not DVB-T2 unfortunately.

Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My household's MATV socket cannot tune to UHF region, only have VHF. But all the digital channels are on UHF, so I can't tune to anything. No choice, have to use the own antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.