Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Starhub subscriber and am looking to upgrade my TV. The model (Sharp LC-70LE735X) I am looking as did not list DVB-T2 as a feature. I downloaded the manual and it says DVB-T. So I am not sure if I can catch all the FTA HD channels via the Starhub set top box.

I read through this whole lot of threads but I am super confused especially the info on the first page about SCV socket carrying DVB-C and only HD5 whereas MDA's website says no need to do anything...

Anyone can explain? Does digital TV referred below = HD?

Quoted by MDA's FAQ webpage.
======================================================
1. What do I have to do? Will I need to buy a new TV? What other equipment do I need to purchase?

Existing TV sets can still be used. If you are a StarHub TV or SingTel mio TV subscriber, you do not need to do anything as you can receive and watch the MediaCorp TV channels in digital quality through your pay TV service. However, if you have secondary TV sets not subscribed to Pay TV service, these TV sets would require a digital receiver and antenna each. Subscribers who are currently using Standard-Definition set-top boxes can consider upgrading their set-top boxes to support the High-Definition TV programmes.

For non pay TV subscribers, all you need to do is to buy an antenna and a DVB-T2 digital set-top box and connect them to your existing TV sets to watch digital TV. You can also consider buying a new TV with a built-in DVB-T2 digital tuner (Integrated Digital TV or IDTV) and an indoor antenna, in which case you do not need to purchase a separate set-top box.
====================================================

StarHub TV viewers do not need any DVB-T or DVB-T2 tuner on the TV itself to receive Digital SD and HD channels, your digital SD and HD STBs are already transmitting these digital channels via DVB-C. Only HD FTA digital channels will be available later. Now HD FTA only have HD5, the rest FTA channels all in SD.

TVs with DVB-T2 tuner are only required if you do not have any subscription to these paid TV services, and wish to view FTA HD channels. External antenna is required to be connected to the DVB-T2 tuner on those TVs, not to HDB home StarHub TV wall point (unless is those oldishj HDB MATV which are connected all the way to master antenna on your block rooftop).

Last edited:

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Second thing I would like to clarify is: If I buy a second TV for my bedroom and it is a DVB-T2 ready model, would plugging into the SCV box give me all the FTA HD channels? Or I still have to buy an antennae? :(

Plugging SCV STBs into any TV will only give you whatever StarHub can provide right now, i.e. HD5 and others SD FTA channels.

To watch HD FTA channels, you'll need external antenna. A powered antenna costing $20-60 will be ideal. If that particular bedroom's window is in a favourable location, i.e. facing Bukit Timah Hill, you might be able to receive the HD FTA channels just using a homemade, DIY passive antenna costing from just $8 (materials fee). Info on how to DIY one has already been extensively discussed on this forum. ;)

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, indeed I used that antenna with Aver TV volar X DVB-T tuner to catch HD5 signal before the USB tuner kick the bucket. Accordingly, DVB-T needs close to 70% or more signal strength to be stable & that's why I hang it outside my windows & I was getting borderline between 65~78% from time to time at Yew Tee area, low floor, right infront the army camp.

Learning from brothers here. DVB-T2 is more robust that, anything more than 40~50% signal strength is enough to get a steady channel feed. So, I'm decently optimistic that the DVB-T2 box should work well with this SoundTech TVA-600 indoor/outdoor antenna.... not sure if I still need to hang it indoor/outdoor.

Will share...

how much gain are we talking about here?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
StarHub TV viewers do not need any DVB-T or DVB-T2 tuner on the TV itself to receive Digital SD and HD channels, your digital SD and HD STBs are already transmitting these digital channels via DVB-C. Only HD FTA digital channels will be available later. Now HD FTA only have HD5, the rest FTA channels all in SD.

TVs with DVB-T2 tuner are only required if you do not have any subscription to these paid TV services, and wish to view FTA HD channels. External antenna is required to be connected to the DVB-T2 tuner on those TVs, not to HDB home StarHub TV wall point (unless is those oldishj HDB MATV which are connected all the way to master antenna on your block rooftop).

Thank you bro! Your reply is very helpful! Then I can go ahead and buy my Sharp 70 inch.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope, you still need an indoor antenna but if you got a new TV that has DVB-T2/C tuners, you can plug your TV to the SCV point and get HD5, and maybe Ch8(HD) and other MediaCorp HD channels in the future.

:)

Thanks bro for the clarification. Very helpful!

ACeRyan

Reaction score
would like to correct the above...

Connecting to the SCV point on wall will not get you FTA HD channels.
Connecting to the TV(aka MATV) point on wall MAY get you FTA HD channels....but how long it can last, don't know...

a happy FTA HD channels user connecting DVB-T2 TV to MATV point on wall... :D

Yes you are correct, left that part out :s13: Didn't want to confuse the topic further (as most users are already quite confused).

crazyliao

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can you confirm that those DVB-T2 receiver you guys bought from Aliexpress can do EPG recording? I asked the Sinho seller. He has no idea what I am talking.

EPG recording means this, Eg. you see Germany vs Argentina to be aired on channel 5 4am~7am next Monday. You see this on the EPG & just click on it & let the unit sits there & by Monday, it will automatically record the program start time & ends at program end time according to the EPG.

I am surprised ShinHo does not know what is EPG recording when he sold many such units.

Your answer will be appreciated. Thanks for being helpful in the channel.

209k8py.jpg

hi there, suggest you not to buy from this seller (Eric).. everything you asked him he will not sure or don't know what you talking about.

if got problem, he will tell you that you don't know how to use the set and not his problem. and is not worth to get refund as the ship back cost is higher than the set.

try some other seller better.:)

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
FYI, in case anyone dunno, for StarHub TV subscribers, they also started testing Channel 5 HD in DVB-T2 mode at channel 981. It is normal that you cannot see anything yet.

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FYI, in case anyone dunno, for StarHub TV subscribers, they also started testing Channel 5 HD in DVB-T2 mode at channel 981. It is normal that you cannot see anything yet.

they are willing to use native DVB-T2 signals for FTA channels?

i thought they kpkb about it awhile ago ...

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi there, suggest you not to buy from this seller (Eric).. everything you asked him he will not sure or don't know what you talking about.

if got problem, he will tell you that you don't know how to use the set and not his problem. and is not worth to get refund as the ship back cost is higher than the set.

try some other seller better.:)

Unfortunately it seemed he is already the most trusted seller among others. He also sold the most numbers of dvb-t2 boxes and got the most feedback count.

If you go qoo10, there were sellers with much worse feedbacks from doa parts etc.

Which other seller you recommend?

chuppachop

Reaction score
Half a yr after MediaCorp HD chs launch, StarHub still only in testing stage. With them offering so Many models of set top box, they will take till next yr to launch after testing all boxes. All this fr Singapore's "Best" Pay TV provider. 😉

WestGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Just got my AmazonBasics Ultra-Thin Extreme Performance Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna.

Wow it sure is good! Just stuck it to my window in Jurong West and i can receive all DTV channels and some msia/indo analogue channels too:s13:

b00mxer

Reaction score
Just got my AmazonBasics Ultra-Thin Extreme Performance Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna.

Wow it sure is good! Just stuck it to my window in Jurong West and i can receive all DTV channels and some msia/indo analogue channels too:s13:

Clear or not the indo channels? Watchable? What channels are these.

stamina

Reaction score
We should educate everyone that DVB-T2 reception is only reliable using your OWN indoor antenna. MATV or SCV points are currently not the official recommended way to receive them.

And you are right about MATV antennas. They're only available on older flats. Newer ones phased out already. New flats now depend tv reception via scv point which only supports DVB-C and analog currently. Not DVB-T2 unfortunately.
But my mums old flat can recieve very clear t2 channels from MATV rooftop leh. Those cheap old antenna to watch Malaysian and indo channels is what type of antenna ah?different from the T2 digital antenna? If want to watch both the Malaysian/indonesians channel and FTA T2 channels on a T2 TV, how should both the antennas be installed?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Not sure about that though. Was playing with my hubstation HD and found those channels lol.

How can u be sure that those signals are DVB-T2 using just the hubstation HD? Have u tried to tune using a DVB-T2 TV or STB? Most likely those signals are DVB-C lah.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Does this mean that if you don't have a T2 tuner you can't receive the signal even with a set top box? Or their set top box will receive the signal from the junction box and send it to your tv?

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
How can u be sure that those signals are DVB-T2 using just the hubstation HD? Have u tried to tune using a DVB-T2 TV or STB? Most likely those signals are DVB-C lah.

I know. What I meant was not the signals. I was talking about the channels itself.

crazyliao

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seemed he is already the most trusted seller among others. He also sold the most numbers of dvb-t2 boxes and got the most feedback count.

If you go qoo10, there were sellers with much worse feedbacks from doa parts etc.

Which other seller you recommend?

Yes, I chosen him too becos of the feedback too. well, I don't know if other seller is better than him or not. but as long as you got a good set from him without problem, then it should be ok. if you have any problem with the set, then that is where the problem start as he will not be able to help you much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.