Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My ac ryan antenna booster came,but quality soso, better than the $20 antenna, feel like buying the amazon high performance antenna and use the ac ryan amplifier, will that work? Anyone can borrow for test?

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
If u referring to the Channel 5, StarHub already has Channel 5 (HD) via STB and DVB-C what.

Yeah i know. But what they are showing is the DVB-T version of 5HD converted to DVB-C. The subtitles are hardcoded.

sunsetbay

Reaction score
yes, u are right on the Ch981 5HD is the simulcast of DVB-T2 5HD~ it has two audio tracks, AC3 & AAC while Ch155's 5HD only offers single audio AC3~ Ch981 also using soft-sub while Ch155 is using hard-sub~ :s22:

ztz139.jpg

btw, Ch981 is encrypted~

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How can u be sure that those signals are DVB-T2 using just the hubstation HD? Have u tried to tune using a DVB-T2 TV or STB? Most likely those signals are DVB-C lah.
If i'm correct they are also offering paid terrestrial channels for corporate customers...

ccchin

Reaction score
My ac ryan antenna arrived this evening. Did a quick test and below are my observations. Main antenna build quality is ok, but amplifier box and power adaptor is not. Cables provided are not long enough, so antenna can be deployed around a radius of about 1.5m from your TV. Did a single auto channel scan and it picks up all the mediacorp dvb-t2 channels but not the dvb-t channels.

Also, in comparison to my amazon antenna, ac ryan's antenna signal fluctuates a lot. It may be due to the antenna not being placed high enough (due to the short cable); simply walking past the antenna will almost always cause a sharp drop in signal (to almost zero), which either freeze the screen or distort the image. Placing it near windows (if you can) and facing it outwards may eliminate these short-comings. At a price of $29, this is probably a good buy for those looking for cheap and reasonable antenna.

---------------------
P/S: Overall, amazon antenna has much better design and build quality as well as good signal stability. I love my amazon antenna and cannot be parted from it, so will setup the ac ryan antenna at my parent's place instead.

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My ac ryan antenna arrived this evening. Did a quick test and below are my observations. Main antenna build quality is ok, but amplifier box and power adaptor is not. Cables provided are not long enough, so antenna can be deployed around a radius of about 1.5m from your TV. Did a single auto channel scan and it picks up all the mediacorp dvb-t2 channels but not the dvb-t channels.

Also, in comparison to my amazon antenna, ac ryan's antenna signal fluctuates a lot. It may be due to the antenna not being placed high enough (due to the short cable); simply walking past the antenna will almost always cause a sharp drop in signal (to almost zero), which either freeze the screen or distort the image. Placing it near windows (if you can) and facing it outwards may eliminate these short-comings. At a price of $29, this is probably a good buy for those looking for cheap and reasonable antenna.

---------------------
P/S: Overall, amazon antenna has much better design and build quality as well as good signal stability. I love my amazon antenna and cannot be parted from it, so will setup the ac ryan antenna at my parent's place instead.

bro, ur amazon is the high performance? is it better than the ac ryan? i got a idea, plug that amazon antenna into the amplifier then amplifier to TV, is that better?

ccchin

Reaction score
bro, ur amazon is the high performance? is it better than the ac ryan? i got a idea, plug that amazon antenna into the amplifier then amplifier to TV, is that better?

I am using the extreme version so it has its own amplifier. As mentioned in my post above, the amazon antenna is better in quality, build and signal stability. I suggest you buy the extreme version for better chance of success since you stay in tampines.

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using the extreme version so it has its own amplifier. As mentioned in my post above, the amazon antenna is better in quality, build and signal stability. I suggest you buy the extreme version for better chance of success since you stay in tampines.

yea, tampines very bad now, i now use the $20 antenna with usb plug to 3 pin, then into ac ryan antenna booster then to TV

by doing this I got around 75% signal strength, can you help try use amazon antenna and plug to amplifier and see if that get better, If so i want to buy the amazon antenna also

petetherock

Reaction score

---------------------

Thanks for the feedback.
It's a timely reminder that quality costs more, but you get better reception.

At the same time, it's all about location still, and if the location is solid, even a lousy antenna will work.

petetherock

Reaction score
For newbies just coming to this thread, please read the first few posts, which have most of the info that keeps getting asked.

Cheers.

zenify.me

Reaction score
For newbies just coming to this thread, please read the first few posts, which have most of the info that keeps getting asked.

Cheers.

Is it possible to have a compilation of uncertified DVB-T2 boxes that work in SG?
Will be good for those trying to work within a budget. :)

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am not sure if asking amazon antenna to a amplifier is good enough as a sensible question?

ccchin

Reaction score
yea, tampines very bad now, i now use the $20 antenna with usb plug to 3 pin, then into ac ryan antenna booster then to TV

by doing this I got around 75% signal strength, can you help try use amazon antenna and plug to amplifier and see if that get better, If so i want to buy the amazon antenna also

75% signal strength is better than the 55% provided by my amazon extreme at my location. You should be happy with your current setup. Anyway, I did the test that you requested on HD8 and CNA. My HD8 signal drops from 55% to 35% while CNA signal drops from 35% to 25%. It seems amazon extreme doesn't work the way you wanted it.

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IIMpof2.jpg

just received this, connected to my MATV

picture is ok but the sound is funny, sound like it's coming from a tin can.

quite disappointed with this.

Do not try this model.

stamina

Reaction score
Just got my AmazonBasics Ultra-Thin Extreme Performance Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna.

Wow it sure is good! Just stuck it to my window in Jurong West and i can receive all DTV channels and some msia/indo analogue channels too:s13:
What r the malaysian and indo channles u get?are they clear? For the dtv singapore channels, u r getting the dvb t2 free to air channels as well?

krazykid

Reaction score
Draco set-top box bundled antenna

problems solved.
moved antenna near to window solving signals fluctuate problem.
got video but no audio problem, solved by convert the file (ts format) to avi format (or other common formats)

I had a similar problem in the beginning. Did two things to solve.

1) Turned on the antenna power in the settings menu
2) Turned on the antenna power on the antenna itself (it's a rotary wheel on the side). There should be a blue LED light that turns on to indicate the amplifier is on (it's on the front face of the antenna).

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Received the dvb-t2 box today.

Unfortunately, it seemed yew Tee area receptions is bad. Facing east no signal even with powered antenna outside windows.

Facing west, some spot outside the window can receive well. Shift a little can lost signal totally.

Overall, much easier to get signal than dvb-t just like others claimed. T2 is indeed more robust.

EPG recording can work by entering the channel and time manually. Unlike the robust way mythTV works. Just select and mythtv set the recording. If the broadcaster changes the program timing later, mythtv will still record correctly. But this box will record at the wrong time. Not smart enough to just follow the epg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.