Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshszz

Reaction score
The booster antenna has a high gain, and as such certain users (depending on location) may not have to use the signal amplifier - for example, in our office at Kaki Bukit, we are able to receive all channels with just the booster antenna alone.

If you are using the signal amp and "Antenna Power" OR switch on signal amplifier is not set to "ON", Playon! LIVE will not be able to receive anything.

This is similar to if I were to turn on the TV without turning on the wall plug.

Once again, for benefit of all users and also for clarity's sake, in-the-box is 1 x Booster Antenna and 1 x Signal Amplifier.

Playon! DVB-T2 Booster Antenna - AC Ryan Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.

Hi joshszz, when using the Signal Amplifier, please ensure the following:

- Under "Tools" (4th icon in Menu), select "Others" and ensure Antenna Power is set to "On"
- Ensure the switch on your Signal Amplifier is set to "On"

Hi ACeRyan,

Thanks for your quick reply.. There's no signal amplifier in my PLAYONLINE box. there's only a small antenna. I don't think i bought the amplifier.. must buy separately or won't be able to receive any digital channels? The playonline box is useless without it?

Last edited:

kevyanhw

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Now I managed to get the channel, but I need to place the antenna at a specific location to have the channels play smoothly.

I have another problem is that, the device can detect my portable harddisk, but I can't record because the device prompt that the harddisk speed is too slow for recording.

I am using a WD (My Passport) USB 3.0 portable harddisk. And when it did manage to record, the audio was not recorded.

Please advice. Thank you.

Hi kevyanhw, when using the Signal Amplifier, please ensure the following:

- Under "Tools" (4th icon in Menu), select "Others" and ensure Antenna Power is set to "On"
- Ensure the switch on your Signal Amplifier is set to "On"

When you position the indoor antenna, you would preferably want to place it away from electronics or other signal emitting devices (e.g. microwave, Wi-Fi router). Please try and let us know your findings.

ACeRyan

Reaction score
Manual enclose is sparse.....minimal info on basic setup with no other info eg, if u're connecting to MATV antenna.

We designed the Playon! LIVE to be as user friendly as possible, and both the Playon! LIVE & the Booster Antenna works best with each other, as this is what they were made for and tested.

There are too many combos for doing this - different TV brands, antenna setup (Playon! Booster Antenna/ passive indoor antenna/ other antenna brands/ with or without signal amplifier/ MATV antenna/ rooftop external antenna), houses, locations) - that it wouldn't be practical to list down all :s13:

Besides, MATV can easily be confused with the SCV cable point for the uninitiated who are not as techy as yourself :)

We are keen to hear your feedback bro, please update or PM us if there's anything we can do to improve.

ACeRyan

Reaction score
Using the Booster Antenna for my digital tv. Can get HD channels but lost all other channels... Any remedies?

Hi bro understand that you are using our Booster Antenna with your DVB-T2 TV right?

We haven't tested this particular setup, as the Booster Antenna is primarily for our Playon! LIVE, but we would like to help.

Can you share your setup, like brand of TV, how you connect etc and we'll see if we can help you out. :s12:

ACeRyan

Reaction score
I try it before. I turn on Others -> Antenna Power, turn on the switch . No red light. Scan nothing.

Hmm seems like there might be a hardware issue. No worries, could we trouble you to bring it in to our service centre at 60 Kaki Bukit Place, #06-03, we would like to take a look at your set for you. :)

ACeRyan

Reaction score
Hi ACeRyan,

Thanks for your quick reply.. There's no signal amplifier in my PLAYONLINE box. there's only a small antenna. I don't think i bought the amplifier.. must buy separately or won't be able to receive any digital channels? The playonline box is useless without it?

You are most welcome joshszz! Yes you are right, the Booster Antenna is sold separately and will also contain the signal amplifier.

Let us try and shine some light on this:

We all know that Singapore is just rolling out DVB-T2, hence not all areas have signal coverage as yet. With the Booster Antenna, we aim to overcome this issue by increasing signal reception in areas outside of the coverage.

Digital TV - Publicity Poster

For instance, if you are in AMK, the simple antenna packaged along with Playon! LIVE will do, but if you are not within the signal coverage, then you will need to use the Booster Antenna.

So as you can see, eventually when island wide coverage is available, any simple antenna will be able to receive.

ACeRyan

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Now I managed to get the channel, but I need to place the antenna at a specific location to have the channels play smoothly.

I have another problem is that, the device can detect my portable harddisk, but I can't record because the device prompt that the harddisk speed is too slow for recording.

I am using a WD (My Passport) USB 3.0 portable harddisk. And when it did manage to record, the audio was not recorded.

Please advice. Thank you.

Hmm WD My Passport is definitely one of the portable harddisk we tested. Could we trouble you to send a copy of your recording over so we can have a look at it?

Lord_Kang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bro understand that you are using our Booster Antenna with your DVB-T2 TV right?

We haven't tested this particular setup, as the Booster Antenna is primarily for our Playon! LIVE, but we would like to help.

Can you share your setup, like brand of TV, how you connect etc and we'll see if we can help you out. :s12:

Ooo. u mean that the Booster Antenna was not meant to work alone as an antenna?? Haha

The brand of my TV is LG and I just connect it straight to the Antenna port of the TV. With the added amplifier, I can get most of the HD channels occasionally but just channel u cannot.

Last night I can get 6 channels under digital signal but no HD5 and Channel u.

BTW, I have also purchase the Playon! Live. Is there any way of recording digital tv using my exisiting HDD recorder and connecting to Playon! Live??

ACeRyan

Reaction score
Ooo. u mean that the Booster Antenna was not meant to work alone as an antenna?? Haha

The brand of my TV is LG and I just connect it straight to the Antenna port of the TV. With the added amplifier, I can get most of the HD channels occasionally but just channel u cannot.

Last night I can get 6 channels under digital signal but no HD5 and Channel u.

BTW, I have also purchase the Playon! Live. Is there any way of recording digital tv using my exisiting HDD recorder and connecting to Playon! Live??

Please don't twist my words like that!! :s13::s13::s13:

You managed to get Suria, CNA & okto?

Recording can be done via USB on the Playon! LIVE. You can't do HDD recording via HDD recorder if it is HDMI in, due to HDCP.

You can however, use AV-in recording, but it defeats the purpose of receiving HD channels then.

stamina

Reaction score
But my mums old flat can recieve very clear t2 channels from MATV rooftop leh. Those cheap old antenna to watch Malaysian and indo channels is what type of antenna ah?different from the T2 digital antenna? If want to watch both the Malaysian/indonesians channel and FTA T2 channels on a T2 TV, how should both the antennas be installed?
Hi Guys, appreciate ur reply on this. Thanks.

Streetwise

Reaction score
Hi Guys, appreciate ur reply on this. Thanks.

State ur current setup then probably pple can help ans. Eg, the model of ur TV and does it hve DVBT2 tuner? If no, wat ext box are u using, Draco, ACryan, or some china brand?

Fyi, I'm using ACRyan Playon Live, connecting thru' HDMI. When watching normal TV programs with indo/mysia channels...it's in TV mode. when I wanna watch HD TV, I switch to AV HDMI.

stamina

Reaction score
State ur current setup then probably pple can help ans. Eg, the model of ur TV and does it hve DVBT2 tuner? If no, wat ext box are u using, Draco, ACryan, or some china brand?

Fyi, I'm using ACRyan Playon Live, connecting thru' HDMI. When watching normal TV programs with indo/mysia channels...it's in TV mode. when I wanna watch HD TV, I switch to AV HDMI.

My mums living room tv has dvb t2 tuner,lg 47LA690T. At the living room got master rooftop antenna cable as well as starhub tv wall cable point.Please advise.

Last edited:

Lord_Kang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please don't twist my words like that!! :s13::s13::s13:

You managed to get Suria, CNA & okto?

Recording can be done via USB on the Playon! LIVE. You can't do HDD recording via HDD recorder if it is HDMI in, due to HDCP.

You can however, use AV-in recording, but it defeats the purpose of receiving HD channels then.

Haha.. I managed to get Suria, CNA and Okto last night.. But I haven't switch on my tv today yet so don't know the the channels are still there or not...

I am a bit of a tech noob.. So u are saying i can connect and record using the DVD recorder using the 3 colors cable to Playon! Live but it will not be in HD?

The only way to record HD shows will be using the USB for those portable hard disk?

Something like that?

Streetwise

Reaction score
My mums living room tv has dvb t2 tuner,lg 47LA690T. At the living room got master rooftop antenna cable as well as starhub tv wall cable point.Please advise.

Only MATV antenna will get u the indo/Malaysia channels. The TV has both analog and digital tuner. Thus, u can switch bet both. Please read the manual on how to do the switching.

I've a 32inch panasonic LED and to switch bet analog and digital...I just press the `TV' button.

For those discussing on ACRyan PlayonLive, I've created a thread in Home Theatre & Audiophile category as this thread is for DVBT2 discussion.

Last edited:

stamina

Reaction score
Thanks streetwise. So those old v shape thin Antenna or those thick oval antenna is different in technical terms is called what? Different than those Dvb t2 antenna? Any antenna on the market can serve the two puposes?

Streetwise

Reaction score
Thanks streetwise. So those old v shape thin Antenna or those thick oval antenna is different in technical terms is called what? Different than those Dvb t2 antenna? Any antenna on the market can serve the two puposes?
Sorry, don't follow wat u're asking; thought ur mum's place have MATV and the TV has built in DVBT2 tuner....thus, no need for portable antenna.

If u're unable to rec'd Indo/Mysia channels thru' MATV...then the probability of getting the channels with a portable antenna is slim imho.

Last edited:

ACeRyan

Reaction score
Haha.. I managed to get Suria, CNA and Okto last night.. But I haven't switch on my tv today yet so don't know the the channels are still there or not...

If you can tune in to Suria, CNA & okto, you should have HD 5 & Ch U, because Suria + HD 5 is 1 frequency, CNA + okto + Ch U is another 1 frequency.

There is no way you can get Suria without HD 5 and vice versa :)

I am a bit of a tech noob.. So u are saying i can connect and record using the DVD recorder using the 3 colors cable to Playon! Live but it will not be in HD?

The only way to record HD shows will be using the USB for those portable hard disk?

Something like that?

Yes you are correct.

AV-in recording = non HD
USB HDD recording on Playon! LIVE = HD

Hope it's clearer for you now :s12:

stamina

Reaction score
Sorry, don't follow wat u're asking; thought ur mum's place have MATV and the TV has built in DVBT2 tuner....thus, no need for portable antenna.

If u're unable to rec'd Indo/Mysia channels thru' MATV...then the probability of getting the channels with a portable antenna is slim imho.

My mums bedroom however has the antenna cable connected to the matv. She has to add the v shpe antenna or booster to get a clearer indo and malaysian channels. I first want to understand if those old v shape antenna and boosters serves he same purpose as these new tvbt2 digital antennas?

Streetwise

Reaction score
My mums bedroom however has the antenna cable connected to the matv. She has to add the v shpe antenna or booster to get a clearer indo and malaysian channels. I first want to understand if those old v shape antenna and boosters serves he same purpose as these new tvbt2 digital antennas?

I'm a little muddle headed and can't grasp wat exactly u're saying but let me know for ur mum current set up, if it's item 1 or 2 below? Or, I've totally misunderstood?
1. MATV point > TV signal Booster > TV.
2. Portable TV antenna with signal Booster > TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.