Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekorin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm sort of in a dilemma on setting up an air conditioning unit in my study room. Currently the house (HDB 5room) is using a single unit aircon with a compressor in the master bedroom. Was told that in order to have a wall mounted aircon in the study room, I have to change the current aircon + the compressor.

That costs around 2.5-2.8k (as the study room is quite a distance to the master bedroom), which is quite a hefty sum as our current aircon is barely 5years old.

Alternatives would be a casement window aircon or a portable aircon. Any recommendations? The window is sliding type with upper side of the window push out type. Window height of the sliding part is barely 80cm :(

terumo

Reaction score
To Nekorin,
Sliding window is suitable for casement ac.
U just check with ur contractor is 80cm allowance is enough a not.

davidww81

Reaction score
Just bought mhi SYS 2 with steel bracket and upgrade 1/2 inch insulation free 150 service voucher @$2345

Dysphoria

Reaction score
Hello all, would just like to provide an update on my ongoing search and sourcing for system 3 aircon after my recent post, hope this helps people who are also looking at the moment and hopefully can get some more suggestions/recommendations from you all..

I went to COOLSERVE at Joo Seng Road, their salesman seemed quite professional, initially i inquired about MSXY-FD10VA x 3 for 3 bedrooms, was told it was out of stock so i asked about MSY-GE10VA x 3 which was my second choice anyway, got a quote of $2953.2 for this system 3.

Parts and installation include 3/8" Armaflex insulation, 23 gauge pipping, 16mm PVC pipping, Keystone wiring. Asked about upgrading to 1/2" and 22 gauge but was told that mostly condo units use this and not really required for HDB. Can anyone confirm if this is true and so far, with 3/8" and 23 gauge, have there been any problems?

Warranty includes 1 year on spare parts by agent including PCB(i remembered to ask specifically), 5 year on compressor by agent and 1 year on workmanship by COOLSERVE. They do not offer extended warranty which usually includes servicing packages.

Next, i went to STL aircon at Biztech center only to find out that they were closed because of company event so i left for CT Air-Con at Midview City.

Was honestly quite disappointed by the sales people there(CT aircon) , first a china girl came out when i told her i was there for a quotation, after asking her a few questions, it was clear that she did not know anything about aircons, asked her about what the warranty covered if it included PCB, she did not know what the PCB is, she did not know the difference between compressor and condenser, she was not able to tell me much else. The price she quoted me for the MSY-GE10VA x 3 was more than what is being advertised on their website, when i asked her why it was so, she told me that their website has not been updated for very long which did not give me a good impression.

After a while, another guy came out and while he seemed more knowledgeable, he seemed reluctant to answer my questions and tried to push me MHI saying that they offered a $200 NTUC voucher so final price was around $2700+. While i was not against MHI, i did not really like their general attitude and service, especially when compared to COOLSERVE.

I am keen to place my order by end of this week so that i can settle this soon, so far am willing to give another 2-3 days for new lobangs, any have any opinions so far?

Ronaldo88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am with aircon design for the 1st time....hope it turn out well...heard they got do projects commercial n residential...so i feel quite relief as they shld b quite professional n gd service.. i din get those established brands but unheard brand sys2....got 1/2" insul...

terumo

Reaction score
To Dysphoria,

G23 & 3/8 insulation should be sufficient for HDB.
Coolserve seems quite professional on aircon issues.
Their website is very informative.

Reaction score
Hello all, would just like to provide an update on my ongoing search and sourcing for system 3 aircon after my recent post, hope this helps people who are also looking at the moment and hopefully can get some more suggestions/recommendations from you all..

I went to COOLSERVE at Joo Seng Road, their salesman seemed quite professional, initially i inquired about MSXY-FD10VA x 3 for 3 bedrooms, was told it was out of stock so i asked about MSY-GE10VA x 3 which was my second choice anyway, got a quote of $2953.2 for this system 3.

Parts and installation include 3/8" Armaflex insulation, 23 gauge pipping, 16mm PVC pipping, Keystone wiring. Asked about upgrading to 1/2" and 22 gauge but was told that mostly condo units use this and not really required for HDB. Can anyone confirm if this is true and so far, with 3/8" and 23 gauge, have there been any problems?

Warranty includes 1 year on spare parts by agent including PCB(i remembered to ask specifically), 5 year on compressor by agent and 1 year on workmanship by COOLSERVE. They do not offer extended warranty which usually includes servicing packages.

Next, i went to STL aircon at Biztech center only to find out that they were closed because of company event so i left for CT Air-Con at Midview City.

Was honestly quite disappointed by the sales people there(CT aircon) , first a china girl came out when i told her i was there for a quotation, after asking her a few questions, it was clear that she did not know anything about aircons, asked her about what the warranty covered if it included PCB, she did not know what the PCB is, she did not know the difference between compressor and condenser, she was not able to tell me much else. The price she quoted me for the MSY-GE10VA x 3 was more than what is being advertised on their website, when i asked her why it was so, she told me that their website has not been updated for very long which did not give me a good impression.

After a while, another guy came out and while he seemed more knowledgeable, he seemed reluctant to answer my questions and tried to push me MHI saying that they offered a $200 NTUC voucher so final price was around $2700+. While i was not against MHI, i did not really like their general attitude and service, especially when compared to COOLSERVE.

I am keen to place my order by end of this week so that i can settle this soon, so far am willing to give another 2-3 days for new lobangs, any have any opinions so far?

Hi Dysphoria,
Why don't you try gaincity? they offer 5 years comprehensive warranty. ?

Reaction score
Gaincity warranty and experience..

I saw couple of positive feedback about coolserv. Any one have experience with gaincity? They seems to offer 5 years extended warranty. Is it worth it? Any experience what is the pro and cons of 5 years extended warranty? I am planning to buy Mitsubishi starmex.. Is 5 years extended warranty is required for starmex?

Thanks

maxicoolservices

Suspended
Reaction score
Hello Catherineteosg,

Basically there is no major difference between MSY-GE10VA and MSXY-FD10VA. Both have the same BTU.

Only difference is that MSXY-FD10VA comes equipped with the i-see sensor feature which searches from side to side the floor area detecting the floor temperature and adjusts the temperature settings accordingly for better comfort.

Both works fine but personally I would prefer the MSY-GE10VA.

Best Regards,

Jason Tham

what is the difference between Mitsubishi MSXY-FD10VA vs MSY-GE10VA
which one is better?
Thank you?

Dysphoria

Reaction score
hi catherineteosg, i am no expert but ive read that GC's warranty policy is a lil finicky, you must read up properly on whether their 5 year warranty is only for the compressor or the entire condenser, to add to that, many people have mentioned that the quality of their installation services can be quite shoddy.

C32B

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking for good quote on Fujitsu system 4 ? PM me.. But my new house key collection is at year end. Will keep contact.

jonchar

Reaction score
Thanks all for this informative thread.

To Terumo and all, appreciate if you can give your 2 cents on my situation.

I have an old HDB Terrace at Stirling Road with a big living room downstairs and 3 bedroom upstairs. Inherited this current aircon system from previous owner. Currently a system 2 (8k BTU for both) for the living room downstairs and the Master bedroom upstairs. The other 2 bedrooms are on individual window units.

Usage during day is master bedroom and living room and at night, is all three bedrooms.

Problem: The old system 2 aircon is not sufficient to cool the big living room downstairs so I thought of replacing it totally. I have 3 options, appreciate all helps and comments:

Option 1: Install a separate and new system 1 unit downstairs to add on to the current configuration. Ie, switching on current system 2 and then this new system 1 just to cool the living room every time I need.

Option 2: Replace the old System 2 to a new System 2 with the living room unit a much higher BTU.

Option 3: Replace all the aircon in the living room and 3 bedrooms with a new System 4. Highest cost but likely the highest energy efficiency.

Can anyone share their thoughts with me on which is the most preferred option among all 3?
Also, with option 2 and 3, to replace the system 2, can I use back old wiring and piping or have to install new ones?

Thank you all!

Baggio10

Reaction score
may I know the difference between Mit Starmex and Heavy industries?
Was told that Heavy Ind is a new model compared to starmex?
are there any other trustworthy brands to consider?
reading of not too good reviews on LG.

AirconForSale

Reaction score
Mitsubishi aircons

Hi guys,

We have 3 new aircons Mitsubishi. Both internal and external blocks. This is an urgent sale, so the price is low: S$ 2900/for all 3

Self-collection from Tanjong Pagar lock and store

For any enquiry, please contact me at +6581192342

Thank you! ;)

crankcase

Reaction score
System 5 inverter?

Hi, I'm looking for a System 5 inverter setup for my flat, but all the retailers I called (Courts, Best Denki, Harvey Norman, Gain City, etc) deal only with System 4 at most.

Any recommendations on which brands/models are available for System 5, and where to buy?

Thanks!

Ronaldo88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a System 5 inverter setup for my flat, but all the retailers I called (Courts, Best Denki, Harvey Norman, Gain City, etc) deal only with System 4 at most.

Any recommendations on which brands/models are available for System 5, and where to buy?

Thanks!

U can get sys3 n sys2...for big house u may hv to get 2 compressors...

Ronaldo88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that HDB doesn't allow more than 1 outdoor unit (compressor) for older flats. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

Tis rule i nt sure..i oni knw in term of capacity u need at least 48kbtu..dun thk got 1 compressor so pwrful...mayb there is...9k each rm 12k living rm depend on size..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.