Back from South island New Zealand

sellun

Reaction score
your 14days includes fly time?? I just went for to south island this june and we had 11.5 days after excluding flying time. we did the standard southern loop anti-clockwise by campervan and it was amazing!
day1 - CHC
day2 - collection of vehicle, CHC - greymouth (in the end not enough time we stayed at jackson's retreat near AP
day3 - Jackson's to franz (in the end freedom camped at bruce bay, amazing star gazing spot)
day4 - brucebay - wanaka
day5 - wanaka - te anau
day6 - milford tour
day7 - te anau - QT
day8 - QT actvities
day9 - QT - Mt cook
day10 - Mt cook - lake tekapo (personally i feel lake tekapo more chill but overrated by many reviews, but if not doing any hikings on mt cook, good to stay at tekapo instead)
day11 - tekapo to CHC

Although we travelled by campervan and many people will assume that you can cover more with a car. We hit the highway speed limit most of the time, so by assuming you can cover more with a car that would mean that you intend to speed.. It is an amazing place to take your time and drive slowly to enjoy the scenery, plus theres the speed limit for a reason.

One thing I would do if i were to go again is to take everything slower abit and add afew more days to make enjoy ourselves more. We were still rushing once in awhile with this itinerary and i would advice not to pack in more than what i have mentioned.

Driving in south island is much easier than driving in SG! it's the winter condition that you have to worry about, but i'm sure if you follow the traffic rules you'll be just fine.

sellun

Reaction score
You do not have to book hotels in veryyyyy advance for Aug, but do book afew days in advance once you confirm your itinerary for popular places like wanaka, QT, te anau, lake tekapo. Tho its winter, but there will be people visiting there for skiing.

TVaddict

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go for the Earth and Sky Tour at Lake Tekapo. It's a surreal and magical experience.. You won't regret despite the slightly steep price.

alpc

Reaction score
Why would you want to drive wanaka-mtcook-QT and possibly back up north again ? Unless you have too much time or money to spend on petrol, otherwise just do wanaka-qt-mtcook instead.

??? You are asking info_guy or me?

scholes25

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Incredible reading in this thread!!!!
32 pages and I have finally finished reading.
Thanks for all the incredible feedback, advice and pictures from everyone.

I will be going South Island for the first time from October 2nd to 13th.
I am still planning my itinerary.
I need help in completing it.
Would sincerely appreciate any feedback or advice.
Here is my half completed one.

Day 1 CC to Lake Tekapo (Earth and Sky Stargazing at Mt John)
Day 2 LT to QT (Hang Gliding@SkyTrex followed by Skyline Gondola and Stargazing)
Day 3 QT (Full Day Ski Package at Remarkables)
Day 4 QT (Day Trip with BBQ Bus to Milford South)
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10 CC
Day 11 SG

AS you can see, I have planned for the first 4 days and my last 2 days are fixed.. I am not sure what I should from day 5 to day 9.
I will be spending 4d3n in QT doing the various activities.
Would appreciate any of the following:
Any feedback on my first 4 days?
What should I do from day 5 to day 9?

Thank you very much everyone.
scholes25

veryred

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Incredible reading in this thread!!!!
32 pages and I have finally finished reading.
Thanks for all the incredible feedback, advice and pictures from everyone.

I will be going South Island for the first time from October 2nd to 13th.
I am still planning my itinerary.
I need help in completing it.
Would sincerely appreciate any feedback or advice.
Here is my half completed one.

Day 2 LT to QT (Hang Gliding@SkyTrex followed by Skyline Gondola and Stargazing)
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10 CC
Day 11 SG

AS you can see, I have planned for the first 4 days and my last 2 days are fixed.. I am not sure what I should from day 5 to day 9.
I will be spending 4d3n in QT doing the various activities.
Would appreciate any of the following:
Any feedback on my first 4 days?
What should I do from day 5 to day 9?

Thank you very much everyone.
scholes25

are you driving a car or campervan?
are you landing in Christchurch from singapore on day 1 or day 0?

it is quite insane to drive such long distance after half a day of travelling by plane.
driving from LT to QT takes around 5 hours. after driving for 5 hours are you sure you are still gonna go do so much activities? If your first 4 days is not fixed and assuming you arrive on day 1 i would suggest

d1 - arrive in cc. take a day trip to kaikoura or akaroa. have a good night rest
d2- collect car. drive to fox glacier / franz josef glacier . overnight
d3 - ice walk in glacier. drive to wanaka. over night @ wanaka
d4 - QT
d5-QT
d6-QT
d7- dunedin
d8- lake tekapo
d9- mt cook
d10- cc
d11-sg

day 1 arrive in cc. explore cc,

scholes25

Reaction score
Hi veryred,

Thanks for your reply. I will be renting a car. After I landed, I plan to drive to Lake Tekapo and stay for a night. I was told that it should take about 3 hours from CC Airport to LT.
The next day, I plan to drive to QT and stay 3 nights there.
In your opinion, this is not possible?

Thank you for your feedback. Truly appreciate it.

scholes25

veryred

Reaction score
Hi veryred,

Thanks for your reply. I will be renting a car. After I landed, I plan to drive to Lake Tekapo and stay for a night. I was told that it should take about 3 hours from CC Airport to LT.
The next day, I plan to drive to QT and stay 3 nights there.
In your opinion, this is not possible?

Thank you for your feedback. Truly appreciate it.

scholes25

3 hours is if you are going at the speed limit which is 100km/hr. I am sure you would want to go slower to enjoy the view. ( the whole point of self drive anyways) and stop over along the road to take pictures and all.

It is possible for you to do that, just that it is not recommended because it is so tiring to drive for such long hours straight. Unless perhaps you have alternate driver. And also, really you would want to enjoy the view by going slower.

scholes25

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely will decide after my drive to Lake Tekapo. Already book accommodation at both LT and QT . Though I think still can change. One more question. How is New Zealand in October? Anything I should worry about? Truly appreciate any feedback.

matpasrah

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be going Christchurch for 6 days in mid-November with my wife n 3yr old kid (excluding travel time). I am considering KiwiWay coach package. I wished I could drive however I haven't passed my licence yet. (Failed my TP in mid July and will retake in September).

I was quoted approx NZD2402 (total for both myself & my wife) for the below 5-6 day itenary. They offered my 3yr old child to travel for free provided as long as my child does not require her own seat. Is the itenary below ok? How about the price? I think it can be customised so if there's anything below that are needless and can be replaced with something more interesting, do recommend.

day 1 - ARRIVE CHRISTCHURCH

On arrival in Christchurch, 'The Garden City', seat in coach passengers will be met by our local representative and privately transferred to your hotel. Self drive passengers will collect your rental car at the airport and drive to your hotel.

day 2 - CHRISTCHURCH - QUEENSTOWN

Travel across the fertile Canterbury Plains before arriving at Lake Tekapo. Continue south to the small town of Twizel before traveling through the historic Central Otago region to Lake Wakatipu and the 'Alpine Resort' of Queenstown. (B)

day 3 - MILFORD SOUND

Follow the southern arm of Lake Wakatipu to Lumsden, and onward to Lake Te Anau. Enter the Eglinton Valley and travel through the breath taking man made Homer Tunnel to reach Milford Sound. Enjoy a cruise on this world famous fiord, dominated by Mitre Peak and the cascading Bowen Falls. Return to Queenstown (B)

day 4 - QUEENSTOWN

A free day to explore the endless optional attractions available. Queenstown offers bungy jumping, jetboating, white water rafting, gondola rides and much more. Optional activities not included in the tour price. (B)

day 5 - QUEENSTOWN - MT COOK - CHRISTCHURCH

Travel through the Central Otago region and on to Twizel. Follow the shores of Lake Pukaki to Mt Cook or 'Aoraki', the cloud piercer. Visit the Church of the Good Shepherd at Lake Tekapo before travelling across the Canterbury Plains to arrive in Christchurch. (B)

day 6 - DEPARTURE DAY

Your arrangements conclude today with a departure transfer or the return of your rental car. Kiwiway vacations, hope you enjoyed your tour around New Zealand and look forward to organising your next visit to New Zealand.

sellun

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely will decide after my drive to Lake Tekapo. Already book accommodation at both LT and QT . Though I think still can change. One more question. How is New Zealand in October? Anything I should worry about? Truly appreciate any feedback.

Hi Scholes, Oct will be a great month to visit south island! What is your arrival time???

Your itinerary can be customized in many many ways. Firstly you have to ask yourself, what do you & your group want to achieve from this trip?
Just some pointers what you can do there.
- Hikings!! (OCT is a great season to hike!, tons of amazing hikes!)
- Just drive around enjoy the beautiful scenery
- Adventure!! (skydive, bungee & etc) *comes with a price
- See as many places as possible!
- Live with the local, experience the kiwi culture

And what kind of people does your group consist of? Children? Grandparents?

Hi,

I will be going Christchurch for 6 days in mid-November with my wife n 3yr old kid (excluding travel time). I am considering KiwiWay coach package. I wished I could drive however I haven't passed my licence yet. (Failed my TP in mid July and will retake in September).

I was quoted approx NZD2402 (total for both myself & my wife) for the below 5-6 day itenary. They offered my 3yr old child to travel for free provided as long as my child does not require her own seat. Is the itenary below ok? How about the price? I think it can be customised so if there's anything below that are needless and can be replaced with something more interesting, do recommend.

Hi matpasrah,

My very first question to you would be, why are you going there only for 6 days!!!!!

scholes25

Reaction score
Hi sellun,

thanks for your reply. It will only be my partner and I going. only the two of us.
I am planning a mixture of adventure activities, hiking and sight seeing.
I have updated my itinerary. There are still a few days which I need to complete.
But I think I am getting the hang of it.
Would really appreciate if you have any comments or any feedback for me.
Thank you.
Here is the updated itinerary.

Day 5 QT to Mount Cook (star gazing and hiking) Stay a night
Day 6 Mount Cook to Franz Jocef Glacier (Hiking) Stay a night
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10 CC
Day 11 SG

sellun

Reaction score
Hi sellun,

thanks for your reply. It will only be my partner and I going. only the two of us.
I am planning a mixture of adventure activities, hiking and sight seeing.
I have updated my itinerary. There are still a few days which I need to complete.
But I think I am getting the hang of it.
Would really appreciate if you have any comments or any feedback for me.
Thank you.
Here is the updated itinerary.

Day 5 QT to Mount Cook (star gazing and hiking) Stay a night
Day 6 Mount Cook to Franz Jocef Glacier (Hiking) Stay a night
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10 CC
Day 11 SG

1) What time will you arrive at CHC airport?
2) Skiing during Oct? have you checked if its still available?
3) QT - Mt Cook - Franz will be a total detour, you will waste a large portion of your precious time backtracking (if you travel back by wanaka/hasst) or flying through (if you travel by AP, impossible) to franz.
Do note that there is no direct drive-able road from mt cook to franz.

Normally people do either clockwise or anti-clockwise southern loop with the timeframe like yours

For example:
CHC - franz - wanaka - QT - Te anau or dunedin - Mt cook - LT - CHC

I would suggest you pushing QT back by 1 or 2 nights OR take a domestic flight to QT and start your adventure from there towards CHC.

Last edited:

scholes25

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply again.
I have to do QT early as it is the end of the skiing season. At this moment, the last day of the season is on the 6th or 7th. That is why QT is my very first stop.
I will arrive CHC airport about 3pm. So my plan is to reach and settle down at LT by 9pm. Join a stargazing tour at 10pm. This is optional. If tired, I will just rest at the resort. Next morning, do a little of sightseeing and then start the drive to QT.
Yeah I know about the backtrack. But I guess I do not have much choice cos I really wanna ski. At this moment, as you can see, I will be doing more of the West coast, will bypass the South for this trip. Along the West Coast, are there any recommendations?

Thanks for your reply again. Appreciate your feedback and advice.

sellun

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply again.
I have to do QT early as it is the end of the skiing season. At this moment, the last day of the season is on the 6th or 7th. That is why QT is my very first stop.
I will arrive CHC airport about 3pm. So my plan is to reach and settle down at LT by 9pm. Join a stargazing tour at 10pm. This is optional. If tired, I will just rest at the resort. Next morning, do a little of sightseeing and then start the drive to QT.
Yeah I know about the backtrack. But I guess I do not have much choice cos I really wanna ski. At this moment, as you can see, I will be doing more of the West coast, will bypass the South for this trip. Along the West Coast, are there any recommendations?

Thanks for your reply again. Appreciate your feedback and advice.

I see, that explains a lot why you're rushing. However I still think you shouldn't do the backtrack as it really doesn't make sense (waste of time, fuel and money) in this case, why don't you consider domestic flight to qt and you can easily save few days of car rental (almost all attractions provide free return tranport from your accom. Then start driving back to chc for your flight back to sg. If given a choice of west coast and south + inland (mt cook, tekapo) I will pick the latter in a heartbeat. Frankly speaking I personally feel that west coast and franz is really nice on paper only.

If you still wanna go for west coast I would suggest leaving mt cook for the next round :) you can stay at wanaka for 1-2nights, go slow on haast and enjoy the waterfalls perhaps do camping along brucebay or lake paringa, do hikes at fox/franz, explore greymouth, explore AP and hike there.

matpasrah

Reaction score
Hi sellun, I needed something that is not too short or lengthy in lieu of a 1st trip overseas for my wife n child. And not having a driving license kinda limits my desires n capability not to mention the increase in costs...:(

but i will be more adventurous once i have driving licence n driving experience under my belt :)

sellun

Reaction score
Hi sellun, I needed something that is not too short or lengthy in lieu of a 1st trip overseas for my wife n child. And not having a driving license kinda limits my desires n capability not to mention the increase in costs...:(

but i will be more adventurous once i have driving licence n driving experience under my belt :)

have you booked your air ticket yet?? if not yet, I would recommend you several other places first. The air ticket to nz will quite expensive and definitely not worth going for so little days. Unless cost is not your concern then probably you can go ahead with nz :)

matpasrah

Reaction score
Hi sellun, already bought my jetstar tix departing 12nov 8pm arriving melbourne 13nov morning. transit at melbourne for 15+ hours before taking night flight to christchurch. will reach christchurch 14nov around 6am local time.

departing christchurch 19nov 8:35pm. so i have 6 days including the early morning arrival. and the night departure.

my return tix costs 2.9k for 3 person with 40kg baggage.

sellun

Reaction score
Hi sellun, already bought my jetstar tix departing 12nov 8pm arriving melbourne 13nov morning. transit at melbourne for 15+ hours before taking night flight to christchurch. will reach christchurch 14nov around 6am local time.

departing christchurch 19nov 8:35pm. so i have 6 days including the early morning arrival. and the night departure.

my return tix costs 2.9k for 3 person with 40kg baggage.

ohhhh I guess you don't have much choice but to carry on. Do you know what does the tour package includes exactly? Just transportation?? cruise at milford?

For the day 2 CHC to QT. It'll just one WHOLE day of travelling by bus.. sounds tiring for me.. same goes for QT back to CHC.

Personally I do not like the idea of going on such tours..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.