Package tour vs free n easy irony in cost for Europe

Els_Ang

Reaction score
Hi tanchoo1,

I'm also intending to do a F&E next Mar with spouse and my 3yr old.

Currently intend to visit London, Switzerland & Florence. But, I think not possible to do UK/ France & Italy together right? Any suggestions for us?

Likely to be there for 16-18days including flight to & from SG. :)

tanchoo1

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi tanchoo1,

I'm also intending to do a F&E next Mar with spouse and my 3yr old.

Currently intend to visit London, Switzerland & Florence. But, I think not possible to do UK/ France & Italy together right? Any suggestions for us?

Likely to be there for 16-18days including flight to & from SG. :)

I need to clarify that I do not generally do, nor do I really encourage, city hopping in Europe. Distances are long, accommodation is expensive, and all you get are lots of tourists and crowds.

I much prefer to rent a car and drive around the beautiful European countryside. Soak in the sights and scenery and mix with the locals as much as possible. Also live like one; you'll find it far cheaper than expensive cities and all that expensive travelling around.

But to each his own.

tyongchi

Reaction score
Qatar having airfare promotion. We bought our tickets for about $1050 (all-in) two weeks ago travelling in mid Dec. I think price is now $1300. Price goes up in stages when the promotion tickets are sold.

We love free and easy, and we stay in a place for at least 3 nights. We dun like rushing from place to place. As an average, we spent about $4k per pax for 3 weeks travel. We usually stay in the local's accommodation.

Oh, btw, if doing free and easy tour, you need lots of planning - down to the daily activity or even which restaurant to visit for the day. But planning is I find the best part of the whole holiday. I learn many things and tend to remember them better even after a few years.

Last edited:

Zoysia

Banned
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I am planning for my first trip to paris, venice, Florence and Rome for about 14 days. My intended plan as below

Sg to paris by air (muli flight/open jaw ccheapest airline)
Paris to venice by easyJet
Venice to Florence by italy rail (advanced tic so cheaper)
Florence to Rome by italirail (advanced tic)
Rome fly back to sing

I wanted to add more cities but worried will be too rush as I want to make way for the high probability of getting lost In a foreign country.
After some calculation I will incurr a cost of approx $3.5k per pax including budget hotels WITHOUT meals.

However after visiting the asa travel fair, I was shocked to see the price of package tour is soooo much cheaper compared to my planning. They even include 4-5stars hotels and meals! On top of that we will get to cover 7 cities instead of 4! This is an irony to me. F&e is always Cheaper when it comes to asiA tour, not when it comes to Europe tour. So I wondered why shd we pay more to do homework and plan when its So cheap to get agency. However I M still torn. I wanted a relaxing tour without being rushed or touch and go. It will be an obvious option if f&e is cheaper. Pls share your views. Thank u!

i prefer F&E tour, when we are on our own in Paris, we can go shopping can go lafaye ,carrefour
the table wine is cheap about sing$2 a bottle.
Beside can also jump from one museum to another as there is an unlimited museum pass

ses009

Reaction score
It is extremely stressful to do self guided tour to Europe, a place I hv never been to plus I seldom travel. After much research I m still not gaining enough confidence and felt really stressful knowing that I need to keep track on the opening dates for trains and flight bookings which are not yet open for next yr plus worrying about missed trains etc due to public transport delays n no choice hv to book expensive hotels near train stations. In the end I gave up. Have booked a 13d tour package that covers all my desired destinations plus a few more cities at around $3.5k, far below my budget of 5k per pax including meals and all transport. Downside is i will be travelling in early nov instead of my original plan in april nxt yr. I know I will be trading off my freedom. But its a dilemma for a first timer like me. Thanks for all your advices. They will come in handy for my future trip.

So did you book with ASA in the end? Which package did you take up?

Ocolocorch

Reaction score
Yes I took up the central Europe getaway tour. Price is $2988 - $50 discount - $50 voucher. So its $2888 before taxes around $6xx subject to changes with Emirates. Cover 20 meals and 11 nights hotels at least 4 stars. Get to visit some cities of the 6 countries Italy, Switzerland, germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France. Can chk out their itinerary online.

Last edited:

shadow82

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack ur thread TS.

I juz booked the central Europe tour (Switzerland, france & Italy) with CS travel. Anybody knw whether CS travel is ok 1 anot? Wife insisted on going then booked liao. Kena worried cos nv do prior research first. sian.

mngedo

Reaction score
I am looking for package tour to europe in end Aug or early Sept. Chan brothers and CTC quoted S$3697 (tax inc) abit steep..? 11 Days

greenhse

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I juz booked the central Europe tour (Switzerland, france & Italy) with CS travel. Anybody knw whether CS travel is ok 1 anot? Wife insisted on going then booked liao. Kena worried cos nv do prior research first. sian.

Not too sure about CS, I booked a 12D Italy, Switzerland and France for my parent yesterday through **.

Booked already dun need to look back, just look forward to the trip, hopefully it is an enjoyable one.

ses009

Reaction score

How much did you book yours for?

alpc

Reaction score
I am looking for package tour to europe in end Aug or early Sept. Chan brothers and CTC quoted S$3697 (tax inc) abit steep..? 11 Days

Depends on the places you are visiting and what airlines you are taking...

Ocolocorch

Reaction score
I think your price is reasonable as the dates u book are considered peak season. Diff seasons diff pricing. After intensive homework done I kind of feel wasted that all efforts gone to drain after I booked my package. But no regrets as I felt a huge sense of relief. I think all packages pricing thereabouts. Some slightly cheaper some slightly more e . Most importantly u like the itinerary and feel comfortable with the tour company.

CgSlacker

Reaction score
Anyone got good recommendations, want to pre book a tour to europe for next year for my parents

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.