(Question) Hope you all can help

BeaRzwalken

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Thank you and hope you all can lend a hand with the questions =)

At some point I have pis* off most of the people here, but I do hope you all can still give me a hand on this. Thank you very much :)

well I have been checking up on website and stuff but I dun really understand these that well. maybe they are too scientific explain and this is really not my area.

I do hope you all can help explain it in a layman term which is understandable

1. I compare abit where as my HDL gone up my LDL also go up, is there ways to increase HDL, but lower down the LDL? and about the ratio

2. could you all put it into layman term about triglycerides and how to make it stay in the healthy range

3. is triglycerides and Cholesterol are they linked to each other???

this is my report, I will Upload another one which I have no idea when I am back at home

MgisoGY.jpg
this is the one is the next question

ZlS1Q0n.jpg

Notice : Those that happen to gym at hougang clubfitt, there use to be 4 16kg dumbbell but recently there is only 3, 1 of the dumbbell is damaged

Next Question

BCAA is best before or after gym???

Summary I heard from people is they help with recovery of the muscles after that day's workout.

Not too sure about the sugar level lvl but it should not be like creatine right?

Next Question

To reduce Muscle Tension, other den Stretching and foam rolling, Is there supplements that also help speed up the process???

Next Question

Anyone can recommend some Brands + type of Oats??? mainly for breakfast =).
Share some brands and food you all take for breakfast and snacks

Last edited:

derrickgyn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) Manage carbohydrate intake.

2) Ensure that fat intake is from natural sources like grassfed meat, fruit, nuts and seeds, and certain oils.

3) Lose bodyfat

derrickgyn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. so LDL and HDL is more to carbohydrate intakes as in,( correct me if I am wrong)

example : process carbs and stuff right? what about potato, rice and non process carbs will they make a big impact?

2. triglycerides is more to eat nature stuff as well and using the right type of oil for cooking?

3. ok this one lose bodyfat part about the link of triglycerides and Cholesterol, cannot really able to link them up :s11:

and thank you for taking the time to reply my questions

I'm not very well-informed in these aspects but from what I know and read from John Meadows, the things I suggested will generally help.

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. so LDL and HDL is more to carbohydrate intakes as in,( correct me if I am wrong)

example : process carbs and stuff right? what about potato, rice and non process carbs will they make a big impact?

2. triglycerides is more to eat nature stuff as well and using the right type of oil for cooking?

3. ok this one lose bodyfat part about the link of triglycerides and Cholesterol, cannot really able to link them up :s11:

and thank you for taking the time to reply my questions

I think you may need to revamp your diet if you want to increase your HDL lower your LDL & triglycerides.

Take your breakfast for example, get rid of the buns you normally buy & for your coffee/tea, no condensed milk and/or sugar. The pork fat that you normally eat is unhealthy. I can think of many more examples - I've looked at your food posts in EDMW esp the photos & I can at you that what you're eating on a daily basis is really bad.

You need to know that a hi protein low carb hi fat diet doesn't mean ANY kind of meat & all the saturated fat that you can eat. Only fish, chicken w/o the skin, beef from grass fed cows, lean pork - all these must not be deep fried or swimming in gravy/oil - should be eaten.

Lots of vegetables & fruits, raw nuts etc will give you the vitamins, minerals & essential fats that you need & improve your lipid profile. There's nothing wrong with rice or potatoes PROVIDED you know how to put them into your overall macros balance. If you take butter, get only NZ butter as NZ cows are grass fed. Wheat & all related products should be avoided; also to be avoided is sugar & all commercial sauces, gravies & spreads.

Read up more on nutrition & learn how to cook your own meals so that you know what you eat isn't detrimental to your health. Try to avoid all the commercial cooking oils - use olive oil, coconut oil & NZ butter to cook instead. If you eat out all the time, you can't control or know what you're eating & this is where the big problem is. Most hawker food is devoid of any real nutritional value.

Anything food that's processed (causing insulin spikes & having trans fats) & animal fat will get your LDL & Triglycerides up. Mono saturated & poly saturated fats found in raw nuts, avocado, omega 3 fatty acids from fatty fish (and fish oil) will get them down.

You also need to quit smoking - tobacco smoke lowers HDL levels.

Last edited:

dawnknight

Reaction score
cholesterol is a type of steroid molecue
triglycerides basically = fat
i check my levels in mili-mol/L

this link gives range of values in both units (miligram/deci-liter , mili-mol/Liter)
Cholesterol levels: What numbers should you aim for? - Mayo Clinic

if u want, u can convert from gram to mol (use the molecularweight of cholesterol which is 386.65 gram/mol

note that 1 mol of anything contains the avogardo number of that thing i.e. 6.02x10^23 which is a damn huge number because atoms, molecues, electrons are quantum scale entities i.e. damn small size which display probabilistic quantum behavior characterized by wave functions

also note that deci = 1x10exp^-1 i.e. 1/10 i.e. 0.1 i.e. one-tenth

for reference of friendly comparison, my levels in milimol/L are
total 4.87
HDL (good one) 1.9
LDL (bad one) 2.7
total/HDL ratio = 2.56
triglycerides = 0.5

basically both of us are ok, but i have more HDL than you lol (mine convert to mg/dL is 71, yours convert to milimol/L is 1.3)
but no prob since u are doing the right steps to ensure better health, then way to go bro~

for sugar level, see this
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

your sugar level is ok

to convert from gram to mole for sugar, i.e. glucose which is a monosaccharide molecue, use its molecular weight which is 180 gram per mole

have fun lol

Last edited:

xerref

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank you xerref will have a read on this

It's a very long read, but definitely one of the most comprehensive yet easy to understand write-ups on cholesterol and review of the current research and opinions.

My personal recommendations based on personal experience;

1. Sustained aerobic exercise >=30mins a day- walking, running, swimming (HR<65%)

2. Triglycerides - limit your sugar intake including fruits. Try to keep below total fructose count of 50-60g

3. Experiment with fat intake, although for the majority of the population dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on their cholesterol levels, you might be a hyper-responder to dietary cholesterol.

4. Lose weight

kendoarts

Master Member
Reaction score
I have history of High Cholestrol. Both my HDL and LDL are of unhealthy levels. Coupled with my high blood pressure periodically, it was worrying for me from time to time.
In short, to control you cholesterol level, it’s all about diet and exercising. Truth be told, it definitely helps.

For me, I realized that if I make some sacrifices and cut down on my unhealthy food intake such as seafood and trans fat from meat, and take more veggies and fruits, it’ll help.
Also, I have started taking Omega 3 Fish Oil, along with some other supplement such as Garlic etc.

Results did improved from year to year, despite my significantly lack of exercise due to work and laziness.

But I decided to go healthier, so I still eat unhealthy food from time to time, but make sure I don’t eat them excessively. Also, I have started exercising. I will be taking my health screening soon. Hopefully, the results will improved.

galapogos

Reaction score
Your HDL is pretty good, and while your LDL is on the borderline high side, you do have pretty low triglycerides, and that normally means that the LDL that you have are of the large, fluffy, benign type, rather than the smaller, dense harmful type. If you're really concerned, get an advanced lipid test to be sure.

Your hsCRP is pretty high though. This means you have higher than normal systemic inflammation, which might come from diet, lifestyle, stress, etc. Start with your diet first, by reducing your intake of pro-inflammatory fats and oils such as like vegetable oils. Supplement with omega3 as well.

As a reference, my hsCRP last year was 0.12mg/L, and the only time it was above 1 (and even then, barely above) was in 2011 right after I underwent some extreme acupuncture in China.

All in all, just improve your diet with more non-processed foods cooked in oils that are not laden in omega6 fatty acids, i.e. stay away from vegetable oils. Actually, just go Paleo and you'll probably experience a vast difference in a few months.

kendoarts

Master Member
Reaction score
I am not smart at this area, but as soon as I started lifting My 200++BP dropped pretty fast, 6 mth down the road I am off the meds. of cos I got help along the way from here and ziklag, so exercise do play a part in getting healthy, good way to de-stress also LoL.

I do hope your health report improve everytime you go for a check up =)

To be honest, my cholesterol level is ups and downs throughout the year.
And I can assure you by controlling your diet, it helps.

Take myself for example, when I notice my cholesterol level is high, i control my diet. And when I test my again 2 years later, it dropped. But when it dropped, i failed to control my diet and it went up again. So you can see how relative diet is to cholesterol level.

Meds are not good, it has its side effects. I would propose consuming supplements instead.

xerref

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I rather maintain my weight and improve the LDL abit, at least is less expensive LoL

there is one more page where is about my ecg or something that part I also dun really understand will need help also, will post it up to night, doc say is good, but I have doubts

why is weight loss expensive?

edit; no hunting for drama, just curious.

Last edited:

kendoarts

Master Member
Reaction score
my daily is always the same old boring stuff rotated, I do eat junks here and there, but what gala and ghkchay posted I know which to lower down the intake.

the only sup I took is fish oil, Calcium + magnesium and 7B complex recommended by ziklag which I am still using.

Good enough. I’m pretty sure you can on your way to a healthier cholesterol levels.

galapogos

Reaction score
gala this part

Your hsCRP is pretty high though. This means you have higher than normal systemic inflammation, which might come from diet, lifestyle, stress, etc. Start with your diet first, by reducing your intake of pro-inflammatory fats and oils such as like vegetable oils. Supplement with omega3 as well.

veggie are cooked in pork oil, the oil is made by granny using the pork lard in hot pan and collected, if not is olive oil which I got for the mth which I was on prayer vegetarian diet. Omega 3 is from fish oil right?

so should I swap the pork oil out and use olive oil and lower down the in take from 1 tblspoon to maybe 2 teaspoon of fish oil?

Fish, especially fatty fish like salmon, have omega3. However, don't start cooking with fish oil since they're not heat stable. That's also why you should refrigerate your fish oils.

Pork oil is fine, but if it's made in very high heat, it might exceed its smoke point which can change its properties.

Extra light olive oil , coconut oil, grass fed butter, ghee, etc are good oils for cooking

Nut oils (macadamia, almond, etc) and EVOO are good for dressings and very low heat sautee-ing. Just take note of their smoke points.

Fats that already exist in meat are also good, especially if the meats are fed their natural diet, e.g. grass fed beef and wild caught fish. I'm not so sure about pork though, as pigs are kinda scavenger animals that will eat pretty much anything lol.

kendoarts

Master Member
Reaction score
is abit harder to switch with a snap of the finger, need time to slowly adjust and stuff like that, specially in my line of work.

Of course, one word is very important when it comes to being/staying healthy - discipline. Without that, you are as good as 'gone', if you know what I mean.

Make time for things that matter to you and your health more. I mean, work is endless, but health does end. Give it a thought.

kendoarts

Master Member
Reaction score
Daily meal I cook myself that is for sure, sat and sun I save it to eat out or buffets. <--- never change

but there are time in the line of work, I dun buy the food, my client do as much as the friendship goes I dun want to spoil it by telling them I dun want this I dun want that... if you know what I mean....

what apply to me does not mean it apply to you and vice versa

I understand what you mean.
Like for me, I can't drink alcohol anymore, but at times I have to host clients and attend functions, I still insist in not consuming alcohol, politely of course.

What I meant is, you have to set record straight, in a nice and polite way. They will understand, if they know what that means to you. Of course, you have to explain the reason why, if appropriate.

kendoarts

Master Member
Reaction score
trust me you will not want to do that after 12hour of non stop physical and management task, specially if the task is critical, we just want to fill up the tank and get the job done.....

you tok about socializing, my is all about critical project that require physical labors and I can tell you no one want to listen to this type of reasoning at the point when people go ta bao for food, they only understand vegetarian religion........

and trust me when I say I am dealing with people higher den me, they trust me with my work and I want it to stay that way..... as much as health is important my job is even more cos I am able to become what I am today cos of this job

Seems like you have your difficulties. Perhaps you 'damage' over there and you will have to work doubly hard to 'make up' the damage caused on the other hand.

At least you know where you 'damage' your health and plan where you can 'make up'. Perhaps this balancing act is the best option right now.

galapogos

Reaction score
bear, I would get a higher potency omega3 product than that nature's answer liquid omega3. In my experience, liquid omega3 are usually lower in potency than softgels. I only use liquid omega3s on my daughter coz she hasn't figured out how to swallow a pill yet lol.

What you're currently taking only provides you with about 1.1g of omega3 a day. I would bump up your omega3 intake to about 2-3g, but not necessarily with the same product, since that would increase the total fish oil intake to about 15g, which is quite a lot. Also, I hope you're storing the fish oil in your fridge. I recommend getting NOW Ultra Omega3, and taking 3-4 a day. Re-check your hsCRP and cholesterol levels after half a year. It should improve by quite a bit assuming the rest of your diet and lifestyle remains the same.

As for LDL/HDL. Basically, you got it right. LDL is not all bad. There are good and bad types. The good type is larger and fluffier (pattern A) and don't clog up your arteries. The bad type is smaller and denser (pattern B). It's not a binary classification as there are in-betweens, but this is the general gist.

Triglycerides are literally 3 fatty acids bound together with glycerol. They are correlated with pattern B LDL, and inversely correlated with pattern A LDL. In other words, if your triglyceride levels are low, chances are, you have more type A LDL than type B LDL, and vice versa.

A standard blood lipid test will not distinguish between pattern A and pattern B LDL. In fact, a standard blood lipid test does not even measure LDL-C directly. The LDL-C levels are calculated based on total cholesterol, HDL-C and triglycerides. Only an advanced blood lipid test will reveal both patterns, but it's rare in Singapore to find a lab that does this test.

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply gala!

yah I do store my current Opened up fish oil in the fridge the seal up one is in a cool cupboard or should I put it in the fridge as well?. Thank you very Much for the intro on which type of fish oil capsule to get , once I am done with this 2 liq I will get the capsule type.
question: do you store ur capsule fish oil in the fridge as well?

I think the advance test if I do find out where to test, most likely it will not be cheap but I will see if I have spare cash for it, hope it will not screw up like the bodyfat % skin fold test......

Please store your fish oil in the fridge. Once you open the bottle, the fish oil is exposed to air & it oxidizes very quickly - ie it can turn rancid esp in our hot & humid weather. For me I store even the unopened bottles in the fridge.

If you plan to get the capsules, I would recommend Now Food's Ultra Omega:

Now Foods, Ultra Omega-3, 180 Softgels - iHerb.com

It's been tested by Labdoor to contain about 94% of Omega 3. Normal fish oil contain only about 30+ % of Omega 3.

npnt94

Master Member
Reaction score
BCAA is good if you are doing fasted training (drink before workout) or calories deficit. to prevent muscle loss.

replenish muscle is from dextrose. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.