Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uraku Asia

Reaction score
And I checked the Mediacorp website again... very sian... my new place is in Jurong West but the rollout is scheduled only for 2015-2016... which means I buy an antenna also no use for now since the signal is probably non-existent... and so that leaves me with plugging the TV in my bedroom to the SCV wall point... which means SD for all channels on a 40 inch full HD TV... which means crap picture quality...

Anyone here lives in Jurong West (near Jurong Point Mall) and is able to receive all the channels using one of the standard antennas sold in the large electronics shops like Best Denki or Courts, etc? Many thanks in advance!

If based on our STB customer list, you can just use the normal antenna will be able to receive all the digital channels in your area (Jurong West).

If you want to buy a an antenna from those shops, please make sure that antenna cable length is enough for you to move the antenna from your TV to the window. In case the digital signal in your location is weak.

I have few pieces indoor antenna at home,if you want for trying, i can loan you a piece for testing first.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If based on our STB customer list, you can just use the normal antenna will be able to receive all the digital channels in your area (Jurong West).

If you want to buy a an antenna from those shops, please make sure that antenna cable length is enough for you to move the antenna from your TV to the window. In case the digital signal in your location is weak.

I have few pieces indoor antenna at home,if you want for trying, i can loan you a piece for testing first.

Oh really? That's great! I don't testing a piece to see if I can get sufficient signal. Actually the TV is next to a window.. but this window opens to the aircon ledge which faces the service yard of my house. So it's almost like an emtombed column of space. There is another window which is on the opposite wall to the TV, the window faces a wide open space - not really blocked. So not sure if it will work...

Do PM me if you can help me with the testing piece. I'm looking to test it on 11 Aug when the TV is being mounted and tested.

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh really? That's great! I don't testing a piece to see if I can get sufficient signal. Actually the TV is next to a window.. but this window opens to the aircon ledge which faces the service yard of my house. So it's almost like an emtombed column of space. There is another window which is on the opposite wall to the TV, the window faces a wide open space - not really blocked. So not sure if it will work...

Do PM me if you can help me with the testing piece. I'm looking to test it on 11 Aug when the TV is being mounted and tested.

Basically, you just need to get some measurements & go to Sim Lim Tower & ask them to cut you a belden cables to the length you want. Then you can test all you like. This works for me.

regency

Reaction score
And I checked the Mediacorp website again... very sian... my new place is in Jurong West but the rollout is scheduled only for 2015-2016... which means I buy an antenna also no use for now since the signal is probably non-existent... and so that leaves me with plugging the TV in my bedroom to the SCV wall point... which means SD for all channels on a 40 inch full HD TV... which means crap picture quality...

Anyone here lives in Jurong West (near Jurong Point Mall) and is able to receive all the channels using one of the standard antennas sold in the large electronics shops like Best Denki or Courts, etc? Many thanks in advance!

I stay in woodlands and rollout is suppose to be next year. But I bought a digital receiver and digital antenna from aliexpress, and can receive all the channels.

WestGuy

Banned
Reaction score

Yes i am staying in that area and i can receive all DVB-T2 channels clearly.
Am using the Amazon extreme antennae

hindsight

Master Member
Reaction score

HD signal reception depends on whether your apartment is blocked too. I stay in Pasir Ris but I can get all digital HD channels + SD channels with a cheapo Draco ANT-500, I can place it anywhere in the house and all channels' quality + signal strength are always at 100%. I think its probably because my apartment is on the 17th floor, and I have an unblocked view all the way to the city (can see MBS from my apartment).

So I think its worth a try if you stay very high floor, you might be pleasantly surprised.

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
StarHub is still issuing out SD Hubstation to their broadband customers on 2 yrs contract. By doing so, they are further delaying the rollout of HD n shutting down of MediaCorp SD chs. Cos they will argue n said they still have customers with SD boxes. That is StarHub bo chap attitude.

How you know all these?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HD signal reception depends on whether your apartment is blocked too. I stay in Pasir Ris but I can get all digital HD channels + SD channels with a cheapo Draco ANT-500, I can place it anywhere in the house and all channels' quality + signal strength are always at 100%. I think its probably because my apartment is on the 17th floor, and I have an unblocked view all the way to the city (can see MBS from my apartment).

So I think its worth a try if you stay very high floor, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Problem is I stay only on 7th floor... not high enough... but as a bro here has kindly agreed to loan a piece of antenna for testing I will take that option first.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Basically, you just need to get some measurements & go to Sim Lim Tower & ask them to cut you a belden cables to the length you want. Then you can test all you like. This works for me.

I'm sorry but what is a Belden cable? You kind of lost me there. Thanks!

Shouldn't the antenna be plugged into the tv using the HDMI cable? So the antenna should have two cables right? One power cable to wall plug and one HDMI cable to the tv? Where does the Belden cable come in?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
According to this, Okto (HD) will be broadcast before next year's SEA Games. :o

« Return to article
Print this

The Straits Times
The Straits Times
Published on Aug 04, 2014

Watch SEA Games 2015 in HD

MR LEE Yat Cheong asked MediaCorp why the Commonwealth Games were not shown on a high definition (HD) channel like HD5 ("Show sports events in HD"; last Friday).

We thank him for his comments and questions.

This year, MediaCorp undertook an initiative to bring its sports content together on one primary channel, Okto.

Viewers who care passionately about sports know exactly which channel to turn to for the most exciting sporting action, and tuned in to Okto to watch the Commonwealth Games, S-League, World Club 10s Rugby and key matches of the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

MediaCorp takes its responsibility to meet public expectations very seriously.

Apart from the linear coverage on Okto, MediaCorp provided live coverage of the Commonwealth Games via its over-the-top service, Toggle, where viewers can stream events online, on mobile devices and on smart TVs.

MediaCorp's daily highlights show, Today At The Games, included special reports of Team Singapore's participation and achievements.

Mr Lee asked if future events such as the Olympic Games will be available for viewing in HD.

We are working towards broadcasting Okto in HD next year, in time for the 2015 SEA Games and definitely before the next Olympic Games.

Bernard Lim

Managing Director, Television

MediaCorp
Copyright © 2014 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

klphang

Reaction score
Anyone has feedback on this Android DVB-T2 box?

I've also been looking for a DLNA and Miracast capable box, so if DVB-T2 reception works well then can save hassle with just 1 device hehe.

Price wise it's about twice that of DVB-T2-only boxes

I have similar Android dvb-T2 box (Vigica C6) bought from Aliexpress.com . It do not compatible with Mediacorp DVB-T2 signal. however DVB-T signal do works. The tuner is very basic.

chong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have similar Android dvb-T2 box (Vigica C6) bought from Aliexpress.com . It do not compatible with Mediacorp DVB-T2 signal. however DVB-T signal do works. The tuner is very basic.

I see, what do you mean by basic?

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Problem is I stay only on 7th floor... not high enough... but as a bro here has kindly agreed to loan a piece of antenna for testing I will take that option first.

I stay on the 2nd floor, surrounded by HDB can get signal w antenna. My area is also one of the areas due in 2015

The only problem is that there's just one sweet spot and if you move will lose signal, so if you find dont go touch lor

XP

Master Member
Reaction score
My Amazon Extreme antenna arrived today and I managed to receive the following channels:

1. HD5
2. HD8
3. Vas HD
4. Suria HD
5. Channel U
6. CNA
7. Okto

My location is Tampines North (near polyclinic), low floor facing north and surrounded by flats.

Hope this info will be useful for those in Tampines looking to tune in to DTV :s13:

alpha29

Reaction score
My Amazon Extreme antenna arrived today and I managed to receive the following channels:

1. HD5
2. HD8
3. Vas HD
4. Suria HD
5. Channel U
6. CNA
7. Okto

My location is Tampines North (near polyclinic), low floor facing north and surrounded by flats.

Hope this info will be useful for those in Tampines looking to tune in to DTV :s13:

Hi, the antenna needs to maintain line of sight to the open? Meaning, if I keep it inside the tv console, does it still works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.