[OFFICIAL] EDMW Wet Shaving Club - Part 6

SaMmM12345

Reaction score
I'm surprised.

I had a awesome shave today using a astra blade loaded into a $1.50 Concord.

First time using astra, felt liked a class above supermax and gillettes green 7oclocks.

If i do ATG, I usually get irritated or tugs at the above lip mustache area. With astra i was able to do WTG XTG ATG all without any problems.

Shave cream was Kiss my Face mint.

eardynamics

Reaction score
SOTN

Fatip with Derby Extra (5 or 6?)
Mistura brush
Bodyshop cream
Alum Block
Nivea Coolkick
A cup of coffee (moka pot brewed)

This is the second night where I got irritation and burn free shave with fatip.
Techniques = near perfect.:s13:
Alum block and Nivea=silent...:s12:

Lessons:
  1. Never be stingy with shaving cream. I used a lot = dug a finger into the tub, placed on face and brush. Lots of lather
  2. No pressure but blade must be able to cut without pressure. Derby performs well in fatip.

Unless the slant comes home tomorrow, I will try Astra Platinum in the fatip, to see if it can mimic the derby. Don't want to buy any more blades...but honestly, derby was smooth (in an aggressive razor) and lasted my 5~6 shaves. Wish I have more derby so I can try in the slant too

Which derby?

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
Which derby?

derby extra which I bought (sample) from connaughtshaving 1~2 years ago...
wp8a30f6d2_05_06.jpg

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
I check at home. I might have a spare or two. If you want let me know and we arrange a way to pass to you.

arigato for the generous offer!

Let me first try out the few good blades in the slant to see if they are equal (or better). Will let you know.

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
Spouse just signed for the slant.
Tonight, it will be loaded with astra sp...

and singpost still has the item running about at the airport...

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
Here's....slanty!

merkurslantaug14.jpg

Got a free pack of red personna and...derby :s13::s13::s13:

The brown thingy pack is the alum sticks (20)

Worth the GBP30 (incl shipping) :s12:

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
Getting ready for the night's shave
Merkurslantshave13-8-14.jpg

Somehow it feels like I'm getting back my old merkur 34C but with a different head...:s13:

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
Shaving with Merkur Slant 37C

First impression: shocked!

I had expected it to be more aggressive than my weber or 34C, but less aggressive than fatip. The design is such that (for one day sparsely populated beard) you can't feel the blade going WTG or XTG. I had to check to make sure there was a blade :s13:

Where there were more hair, I could hear the audio of cutting...like tiny hair being grind...maybe it was the fresh astra blade but it mowed past so smooth that I couldn't believe it is possible - smoother than weber or 34C :s22: It feels like I am shaving with a smoother but more effective 34C.

On problem areas (sides of moustache XTG), a blade in fatip touches the skin too much (making it a tad harsh), while a blade in weber misses too much (but smooth), the slant went thro it smoothly yet taking out most of the hair. Wow.

It beats the fatip in ATG on my problematic moustache area ( the typical tug but not much). This is where weber shines - it just grind down the hair ATG but takes more passes. The slant beats the weber on this ATG but getting a slant gives a cleaner shave with less passes (with minor tug which is common with most razors)

With the Slant, and astra SP working well in it, I don't think I need derby. But then derby is known to spring surprises...:s13:

Caveat: there is a possibility that my shave with the slant went so well simply because I had been practicing with 'difficult' and aggressive fatip for the last 2~3 weeks, getting pressure and techniques down pat. Noob may not find the slant so friendly...

Instar

Reaction score

I had expected it to be more aggressive than my weber or 34C, but less aggressive than fatip. The design is such that (for one day sparsely populated beard) you can't feel the blade going WTG or XTG. I had to check to make sure there was a blade :s13:

Where there were more hair, I could hear the audio of cutting...like tiny hair being grind...maybe it was the fresh astra blade but it mowed past so smooth that I couldn't believe it is possible - smoother than weber or 34C :s22: It feels like I am shaving with a smoother but more effective 34C.

On problem areas (sides of moustache XTG), a blade in fatip touches the skin too much (making it a tad harsh), while a blade in weber misses too much (but smooth), the slant went thro it smoothly yet taking out most of the hair. Wow.

It beats the fatip in ATG on my problematic moustache area ( the typical tug but not much). This is where weber shines - it just grind down the hair ATG but takes more passes. The slant beats the weber on this ATG but getting a slant gives a cleaner shave with less passes (with minor tug which is common with most razors)

With the Slant, and astra SP working well in it, I don't think I need derby. But then derby is known to spring surprises...:s13:

Caveat: there is a possibility that my shave with the slant went so well simply because I had been practicing with 'difficult' and aggressive fatip for the last 2~3 weeks, getting pressure and techniques down pat. Noob may not find the slant so friendly...

Wow congrats! Sounds like you got yourself another winner.
%$*%^ This post sure didn't help to reduce my RAD hor! :s13:

wreckonize

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Bro, sorry to ask but why use a slant to begin with. Your dlc weber already give u a good job (the last I remember you talking about it) why the change to a slant

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
Wow congrats! Sounds like you got yourself another winner.
%$*%^ This post sure didn't help to reduce my RAD hor! :s13:

But it is only a first impression :s13:

I used to think I need to keep one aggressive razor for those days when I want a really clean shave. And a mild one where I can shave daily.

With razor, its like having a mild razor that shaves as good as the aggressive ones.

Caveat: not sure how this will work out for someone with heavy beard...

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
Bro, sorry to ask but why use a slant to begin with. Your dlc weber already give u a good job (the last I remember you talking about it) why the change to a slant

RAD :s13:

Though I didn't expect the results. As good as my weber but more effective.
With weber, I do 2~3 buffing for trouble areas. With slant, it felt like 34c (a tad more efficient and aggressive razor compared to weber) but with more pleasant shave and result.

I guess it is just the elusive hunt for the desert island razor :s13:

PS: I've stopped believing in rotation of razors in the sense that one needs to use a razor for weeks on end to really appreciate it. My love for weber arose due to prolonged use. So is my new love for fatip
For slant, it was instant love :s22: - something I have always wanted in a razor.

Last edited:

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
another caveat.

It may be that I just came off fatip, having 'perfected' technique for aggressive razor, and the slant just fit this technique.

I wonder if I would love the slant as much if I just came off weber which allows sloppy techniques.

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
Spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out why the slant can be so effective without being aggressive.

With DE, the more exposed the blade is, the more effective it cuts. But this comes at the costs of aggressiveness and irritation. I can feel the blade on my face with fatip. Really exposed. Even more so the R41.

I also feel some blade exposure on the face with 34C and weber. But with the slant, I could not feel the blade during the first pass. I felt the blade a bit during XTG, and slightly more at ATG. The design of the head makes it look aggressive (and ugly), but really the guard prevents much of the blade from touching the face.

I can only surmise that the minimal exposure is enough for the slant as the design makes it SLICE and not cut like other razors. This also contributes to less pulling and tugging since it slices...

Let's see if I'd change my mind after a few shaves...Or when I load another blade in it.:s13:

Last edited:

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
2nd shave with the slant, with the same astra sp, bodyshop cream. No alum block.

This time, I took my time to try to understand my previous first impression.

1. It feels I am shaving with 34C. 34C is rather smooth. Weber is a tad smoother. But unlike weber, 34C has bitten me a few times. IIRC, 34C is more effective than weber - cleans more thoroughly.
  2. Weber requires more passes as it is mild. It can't reach trouble spots easily. The corner of my upper lips where even the fatip has a hard time cleaning- there was nothing left to clean for the slant after 1 ATG and 1 buff. Only the R41 is able to do this.
  3. Other than the R41, the slant is the most effective razor that I have ever owned
  4. 34C and weber gives nice BBS. R41, fatip and slant gives 'super' BBS. For 3 light passes, R41 comes with the most irritation, followed by fatip. For slant, there is almost none.
  5. Best - no burn or irritation. It feels like I have just shaved with weber with 3 light passes without buffing :s13:

Will be reverting to weber to compare once I am done with the astra blade...

PS: downside to owning a slant - I keep forgetting not to twist the head to loosen...:s22:

wreckonize

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I jut got cut on my chin area (full length of the de blade) while shaving in the darkness of the toilet cause I was in a rush to get out of the house...

merkur59

Master Member
Reaction score
I jut got cut on my chin area (full length of the de blade) while shaving in the darkness of the toilet cause I was in a rush to get out of the house...

That's nasty:eek:
shaving in the dark...with R41? You got to be kidding me!:s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.