Back from South island New Zealand

sellun

Reaction score
hi sellun
thks for ur helpful reply!
wow...kayaking for few hrs... i was thinking it will be a v relaxing & leisure kayaking experience... i not v fit n my fren & i both no kayak experience.

so e instructor will guide u to kayak to different places of milford sound? i was thinking of taking e cruise too...but doing both kayaking at cruise seems to b repetitive? if i do only kayak, i dun tink i wont b able to experience e whole sound? which do u suggest for firstimer to NZ - cruise or kayak better?

i m also considering doubtful sound...hahaha... thinking if i shld do both sounds...

No experience should be fine, but I think you should just ask rosco's directly and they will give you the best advise. I believe kayaking will allow you to see more than cruise. You'll be going to places nearer to waterfalls, shallow water where cruise can't enter and etc. heard cases of people kayaking along side with dophins and seals (must be v lucky)
Doubtful is another beautiful place, if you have the time, why not! But it MAY look somewhat similar with Milford for some people. I would suggest you to do one of the walks/hikes to see something different. Kepler track is something doable with one day.

i check SQ NZ air tic prices.. woah cost $2.1k per pax. no promotion now, only flexi tics...

anyone can advise roughly how cheap can the tics to NZ go down to (assuming there is some promo)? 1.5K or lower?

not v interested to consider other airlines due to e lengthy stopovers...

I flew jet star there, cost only about 850, but I heard jetstar stopped going to South Island.. Sq cheapest also about 1.5k.. Another option you can explore is scoot to Sydney and tour 1-2days before flying jet star to nz. Aussie to nz very very cheap.

punggolkid

Reaction score
Whoa. I was planning on a trip to the north island, but having seen this thread, I'm having second thoughts. Hahaha. Nice photos everyone! Hope to make use of the info here when I finalise booking of my air tickets! :D

veryred

Reaction score
I flew jet star there, cost only about 850, but I heard jetstar stopped going to South Island.. Sq cheapest also about 1.5k.. Another option you can explore is scoot to Sydney and tour 1-2days before flying jet star to nz. Aussie to nz very very cheap.

Actually aus to nz isn't very cheap. (that's what we thought at first as well)

My boyfriend got his sydney- akl flight for 240aus 1 way no baggage (virgin airline on sale. I have been stalking the airfare for 6 months to get this price)

his christchurch to sydney flight was 190nzd no baggage (airnz on sale)

and his sydney flight return via scoot was about 650sgd no baggage

Scoot delayed their bloody flight, and up he had to forfeit his virgin flight from syd - akl and had to rebook which costed extra $260aus. He also had to camp in the airport for 17hours.

Would rather have spent the money on full carrier airline instead. No need camp in airport, no need scared of one of the flight delay.

sellun

Reaction score
Actually aus to nz isn't very cheap. (that's what we thought at first as well)

My boyfriend got his sydney- akl flight for 240aus 1 way no baggage (virgin airline on sale. I have been stalking the airfare for 6 months to get this price)

his christchurch to sydney flight was 190nzd no baggage (airnz on sale)

and his sydney flight return via scoot was about 650sgd no baggage

Scoot delayed their bloody flight, and up he had to forfeit his virgin flight from syd - akl and had to rebook which costed extra $260aus. He also had to camp in the airport for 17hours.

Would rather have spent the money on full carrier airline instead. No need camp in airport, no need scared of one of the flight delay.

It really depends on how you plan, and also sometimes... luck...
If I were to go full budget, I can get 700+ return if I really plan carefully.
Scoot to sydney + jetstar to CHC.
I would have 1 extra day at sydney to offset any delay (if delay more than 6hrs can claim insurance), can just tour sydney.

Nevertheless, I flew jetstar to CHC (transit @ auckland) @ SGD850 before. They used airbus A330 for their long distance which is very acceptable for me (maybe i have lower expectation)
$850 VS $1200+++++, I would take jetstar anytime.

Cissiboy

Reaction score
Might as well fly full carrier? I can't imagine myself cramped in a budget airline flight for ten over hours

you are not flying A380 first class...economy has the same legroom on all Airbus A320 whatever..

this idea that budget airlines = mcm India's 3rd class trains is hard to extinct

zoer

Reaction score
Last edited:

zoer

Reaction score
Hi all
saw that there are many activities to do in NZ, but they are all rather ex (>100). dun tink i have e budget to do as many activties as i want, so i planning to select just a couple of activities.... Any recommendations on activities which you have really enjoyed?
I am currently considering the Milford sound cruise. I also saw Helihiking @ fox/franz josef glacier, it looks fun, bt really ex... worth e $ to go?

My fren recommended Walter peak cruise+farm tour...

Checkout:
Bookme Queenstown - Southern Lakes - Fiordland attractions and activities Book Online
GrabOne Deals - Save on restaurants, beauty, health and activities
Deals for up to 70% discount. Find your deal at Grouponnz.co.nz

Heli Hiking landed on glacier ? You'll regret if you don't do :D :s13:

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go for both helihike at franz josef and glaciers walk with fox glaciers. No regrets!

I also went for Walter peak cruise+farm tour at Queenstown too. If you go early, can just linger around the farm whole day and keep joining the new groups of visitors every time and eat free cakes buffet and take pics with farm animals :s13: the return cruise timing is totally up to you.

veryred

Reaction score
you are not flying A380 first class...economy has the same legroom on all Airbus A320 whatever..

this idea that budget airlines = mcm India's 3rd class trains is hard to extinct
I have to apologise for my lack on insights since i have never taken budget long haul before. I can only imagine myself taking the same plane I took to KL going to Auckland. You might want to consider the lack of baggage and food and drinks as well. Personally, I wouldn't mind forking out extra hundred over for a full carrier. To each his own.

I am still kind of bummed I didn't get to go on the glacier at all due to the bad weather. Bookme.co.nz is a good website to get some amazing deals, I personally book my horse riding in glenorchy and LOTR tour with bookme. Very good deal. I was afraid at first it would turn out to be some flaky groupon deals like what you may get in Singapore.

zoer

Reaction score
I am still kind of bummed I didn't get to go on the glacier at all due to the bad weather.

We almost didn't make it as well.
On the day we left FJ, the sun came out & nice blue sky.
We joined the 9am walk. After the walk (4hrs), quick lunch then rushed to Haast Pass before it closed at 4pm.
A lady in our group was in FJ for a week to join the walk because of the bad weather.

k0nnichiwa

Reaction score
i'm going to South around end november.. can advise if summer time theres still heli hike? (my impression is that glacier starting to melt when coming to summer).. i've got no stamina so i wonder if i can take the ice hike..
how cold is it around end nov?

i read pages of this forum that bad weather means no heli hiking.. so if i planned that whole day for heli hike and the weather is bad,i need plan B?

alpc

Reaction score
i'm going to South around end november.. can advise if summer time theres still heli hike? (my impression is that glacier starting to melt when coming to summer).. i've got no stamina so i wonder if i can take the ice hike..

i read pages of this forum that bad weather means no heli hiking.. so if i planned that whole day for heli hike and the weather is bad,i need plan B?

Glacier does not melt that much in summer... So yes there will be heli-hike in end nov. heli-hike depends on the weather, so it is best to have 2 days there, just in case you meet lousy weather on day 1.

That's what happen to me, the day which I arrange for heli-hike, it rained! The only day in my whole entire trip that rain, and it has to be this day. So, since I had not given extra day, I just had to carry on. Need to go back there again...

k0nnichiwa

Reaction score
i looked at past weather in November and temp is like below 10 deg.is it really that cold?means i gotta bring winter clothes?! was thinking of travelling light instead.

theres NATAS fair this weekend. will it be cheaper booking car rental there or online or on the spot at NZ?

are there any deals website besides grabone/groupon/bookme?

Glacier does not melt that much in summer... So yes there will be heli-hike in end nov. heli-hike depends on the weather, so it is best to have 2 days there, just in case you meet lousy weather on day 1.

That's what happen to me, the day which I arrange for heli-hike, it rained! The only day in my whole entire trip that rain, and it has to be this day. So, since I had not given extra day, I just had to carry on. Need to go back there again...

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I booked my car via Apex NZ website for my honeymoon in march. They have promotion sometimes. What I did was to keep visiting the site once a week until I saw the promo. If I recall it was free insurance and GPS and discount on daily rate.

Since I rented for almost 18 days, it saved me alot! :)

The car was also in great condition and I achieved about 14-15KM/L throughout the 3300KM drive..

veryred

Reaction score

There should be but not so sure about now and it is really weather dependent. When I was there during winter, the guide did mention that the glacier has been melting (even during winter) I suppose due to global warming all ? Yes, you should have a plan B incase of no go weather. But there is nothing else to do in the glacier county to be honest.
i looked at past weather in November and temp is like below 10 deg.is it really that cold?means i gotta bring winter clothes?! was thinking of travelling light instead.

theres NATAS fair this weekend. will it be cheaper booking car rental there or online or on the spot at NZ?

are there any deals website besides grabone/groupon/bookme?

You should definitely bring a waterproof windbreaker. For me, it is only cold when the wind blows. Bring some warm clothing to layer, so you can layer if its cold and take it off when it gets too warm for you.

If you are travelling during Summer, book everything online because they get booked out fast.

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Random picture from my trip

View of Mt Cook outside my hotel - Aoraki Court Motel
IMG_3025.JPG

Hooker Valley
IMG_3067.JPG

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.