Microsoft Surface

alan_shearer

Reaction score
Just got shipping notification today!!!!!

Anyone knows where to get screen protector locally? burlington square?

Mikiberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just contacted MS support for bad firmware update, throttling and a non adhesive stylus tab. Resolved professionally in a short time. Gotta love MS support.

BTW I read many reviews that screen shatters easily on impact. Since this is a highly portable device, I guess it is really useful to get an extended warranty.

miragez

Reaction score
Same here, coming via DHL but no info on eta yet

I have DHL and UPS so strange.... and both unable to get any info on the eta as well. Just received the shipping notification like 5 hours ago. Seems like the wait is shorter :s12: it stated 3 to 7 days for ground... while business 1 to 2 days... strangely we cannot choose the speed why do they publish both.

Reaction score
When you register for your product, there's an option to do so.

yea but at the point of time it was only for SP and SP2.

but dont worry, the option for sp3 will be available on the 28th onwards as what the MS support told me.

i think i'll be getting it too although i'm a super careful guy. (sometimes the product is the one that betrays you)

Chips

Reaction score
so can anyone help to clarify the extended support? The original warranty was for 1 year and doesn't cover accidental damage by user (cracked screen etc). If we get the extended support does it add two years and accident coverage (3 years in total) or just extends to two years and and accident coverage?

Mikiberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yea but at the point of time it was only for SP and SP2.

but dont worry, the option for sp3 will be available on the 28th onwards as what the MS support told me.

i think i'll be getting it too although i'm a super careful guy. (sometimes the product is the one that betrays you)

Yup, I can't purchase for my extended warranty yet haha.

quailmaster

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Read a lot of horror stories on other forums. For one guy the sp3
sp3 slipped out the box when he was unboxing. Drop out of box and screen cracked.another guy press too hard on edge of screen, screen crack. Another person's dog chewed on his sp3 screen

Mikiberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so can anyone help to clarify the extended support? The original warranty was for 1 year and doesn't cover accidental damage by user (cracked screen etc). If we get the extended support does it add two years and accident coverage (3 years in total) or just extends to two years and and accident coverage?

2 years with accidental coverage + 1 year limited warranty.

picagen

Reaction score

Surface standard warranty and extended service plans
Your new Surface comes with a one-year hardware warranty and 90 days of technical support.

In addition to the standard limited warranty, you may also have the option to purchase additional protection for your Surface. (Not available in all markets.)

This page describes the warranty and service options available for Surface.

Business customers: See Surface Support for business for more information about warranty, service and extended service plans.

Standard limited warranty coverage

With the standard limited warranty you get:

1 year warranty for hardware defects and malfunctions.
90 days of technical support for preinstalled software from the experts at Microsoft Assisted Support for Surface.
Microsoft Complete

With Microsoft Complete, you get:

2 years of technical support from Surface Assisted Support.
An additional year of limited warranty coverage.
Accidental damage protection—even from drops and spills.*
You can buy Microsoft Complete within 45 days of the Surface date of purchase. Buy it with your Surface at a Microsoft Store. Or, after purchase, visit the Surface Online Service Centre to buy Microsoft Complete.

*Deductible applies for Accidental Damage Claims: Limit 2 Claims

Microsoft Surface warranty | Surface extended warranty | Microsoft Complete

do note ==> 'Deductible applies for Accidental Damage Claims'

only extended business warranty has no deductible.

so normal screen crack is not free but part of the cost is covered by ms complete, just not totally covered.

ms complete => Total 2 years warranty (1yr standard + 1 yr extended) n 2 years accident coverage(with deductible).

Last edited:

picagen

Reaction score
what the fk is wrong with Jabil (local courier for Msft products)/Microsoft.
Sent my type cover in thrice, every single time came back faulty.
Guess who's not sending in for the fourth time.

Gonna make a fuss until they refund me so I can buy new type cover or just head down to a retail store to change 1-for-1 or something. I'm NOT taking another chance to waste my time sending in for repair only to come back faulty. I have to apply for leave every time I want to send it in for repair.

Sorry for WOT, but just really angry at them rn. When you guys receive your SP3, if there's a SLIGHT defect that you can live with, I'd suggest living with it. If I were you I'd not want to send it in for repair, probably gonna come back with more faults.

very true, i had many nightmares when dealing with jabil part. really crap service n super pissed.. ms support is ok, but if the hardware needs to replace, ms support passes the ball over to jabil group and all hell comes, only can pray n wished that u might be the lucky few who don't hv a problem. good luck

ps: jabil is not the courier, they are the logistic company that handles hardware replacements n repairs.

yes the courier also is another headache... this 2 business partners of ms is destroying ms image.

Last edited:

picagen

Reaction score
Near future proofing at least for 2 years lah

just my view point, i believe the surface pro 3 case was design with broadwell chip(5th gen) in mind, but delay by intel, and not wanting to missed the back to school season, ms plug in the haswell(4th gen) instead.

that is why all this heat issues. but actually the i3 y series, at 11.5W seems to match the case better. (which the 5th gen i5/i7 chip might be at the same level)

so, best future proofing is buying the specs of what you need now, save the money, when the new pro 4 comes, n ur future needs comes, the money saved can be use to buy the next one instead.

selling features of pro 3 is screen n kickstand, not the processor.

just my 2 little cents... which i might be wrong and you are right. Be happy...

tspurs

Reaction score
Just read a tonne of amazon reviews on the current plastic screen protectors.
It seems that it will wear off the nib of your pen so easily. Please beware!
If you are an avid user of the surface pen you might really want to consider glass protectors for it.

So far only Mime and Incipio ones are up to bar, not sure for the rest. Anyone has other recommendations?

P.S based on my friend's experience, it is really good to have a protector on it. Not that the pen will scratch the surface, but rather it is common that dust or debris might get stuck to your pen resulting in scratches. I am paranoid, but I am still open to suggestions and recommendations :D

For other tablets with active digitizers, some people prefer to get sp so that the feel is that of writing on paper, rather than writing on glass. Cost is that the nib will wear down faster. I did that with my Note 10.1. Suppose it is the same with SP3.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Is the surface really that good? Lots of normal windows software are not compatible for it and u can only find limited software on the marketplace.

It cant replace a laptop still, i sold my surface 2 less than 3 days after trying to install the normal windows app for it.

Perhaps i demand too much on their product.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.