Microsoft's Surface

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, if someone is looking to just play the numbers game, this product won't make sense.

The engineering and usability of the product has to convince the would-be buyers of what its worth. It's a premium certainly, but it's not a rip-off price that would make it fail.

As for USB charging - it applies to low power devices like tablets. You don't charge notebooks via USB.

1. Price will kill this product.
2. More and more tablet is USB charging now. But not this one.
To make it worse, it only works with original charger !

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed. Not to forget, you need to factor in the cost of a monitor for a real desktop replacement station.

One can buy 2 different products with that cost.

Or the price of progress, which is to pay more and have 1 product that does it all. It's a trade off between needs, wants and requirements.

yea its a bit too pricey. for users who want desktop replacements they will probably have to look for the i7 version at 512gb ssd. plus keyboard and docking station etc this would cost 3k

evershineoptical

Reaction score
I was going to get the Lenovo thinkpad 10 or the Thinkpad yoga in the end i rather pay more for the surface 3 after handling both.

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's hardly even a hybrid - there's really no compromise with the SP3, other than the form factor's own limitations.

It's a full fledged notebook masquerading as a tablet. It's hard to beat that.

how can u call it a full fledged notebook when it doesn't have a keyboard?

so to sum up, it's a tablet with the option to be a notebook.

alyssax

Reaction score
My main concern (and perceived drawback) to this hybrid would be the lack of a proper keyboard. I type a lot as a part of my work and I have doubts whether SP3 can cut it.

I will prefer to de-couple my tablet and laptop given the trade-offs, especially since I dont need both at once!

Last edited:

xXshad0wXx

Reaction score
My main concern (and perceived drawback) to this hybrid would be the lack of a proper keyboard. I type a lot as a part of my work and I have doubts whether SP3 can cut it.

I will prefer to de-couple my tablet and laptop given the trade-offs, especially since I dont need both at once!

how is there a lack of a proper keyboard? theres an optional keyboard for purchase. reviews said its good for typing. comes with a trackpad on it also. but it costs another almost $200 to get it.

sars8888

Master Member
Reaction score

Can aways get a good keyboard, whether wired or wireless. The option is yours.

Mikiberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is a fully functioning laptop without a keyboard, which was traded in for so much portability and a touch screen.

You can always get a third party keyboard, a dock and other peripherals if you need, but I sincerely doubt there are many products out there available that can support commercial cloud computing as well as the SF3.

Touch screen / stylus capabilities are not as easily replaceable as a keyboard in many sense.

evershineoptical

Reaction score
I see, i saw that they have it on show in challenger stores now too, had a go at it, seems decent! The number of usb port is indeed troubling though. Im awaiting my sp3 also!

I guess just get a USB 3.0 hub with gigabit port...........additional cost though. There is also no SD card reader....

any idea if there is a USB 3.0 hub with card reader and gigabit port for LAN connection ?

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess just get a USB 3.0 hub with gigabit port...........additional cost though. There is also no SD card reader....

any idea if there is a USB 3.0 hub with card reader and gigabit port for LAN connection ?

Yes, there is but need to order from the US. Not sure if it's available locally. It was featured in one of the youtube reviews for SP3.

Amazon.com: [3*USB 3.0 + 1*Gigabit Ethernet Adapter] Inateck 3 Ports USB 3.0 Bus-Powered Hub with RJ45 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Converter LAN Wired Network Adapter for Laptops, Ultrabooks and Tablet PCs with USB Ports, Compatible with Windows XP/

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If only they got better pricing it would be a steal or at least cover case bundle discount . Guess MS products are always kind of expensive just like their overpriced OSes .

bedlamite

Reaction score
If only they got better pricing it would be a steal or at least cover case bundle discount . Guess MS products are always kind of expensive just like their overpriced OSes .

Yeah, 1.7K for a 800-gram 12" core i5 tablet with a built-in digitizer running full Windows. What a ripoff.

I'll agree with you that the keyboard should be bundled, if not discounted with every Surface purchase, but as for Surface Pro pricing itself? Why don't you bundle the cost of any Wacom tablet with a Dell XPS 12 or MacBook Air (as they're the only 2 ultrabooks/laptops that are thin enough and built well enough) and see how much that runs you?

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Believe it still need to boot up rite?
I test the Surface 2, it took abt 10sec to boot u.

junkeehunting

Reaction score
Accidentally ordered an extra new surface pro 3 pen

opened the package to check. 100% original intact , except the triple aaa battery ( took out to use for my own pen)

Microsoft is selling at $73 SGD( you can verify at their website )

Im selling at only $67. Meet ups at Bedok MRT station.

just wanna clear off my mistake. ( always check properly at the checkout page guys )

pls contact me at 96539475

also , i have a BNIB red surface type cover 3(online exclusive) . anyone with black surface type cover willing to trade with me? bnib

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.