Your Comprehensive DIY PC Dummies Guide

flee0308

Reaction score
Hmm I thought thermal paste is not really necessary? Anyway thank you for this guide, it's the best I've seen do far, incredibly detailed, better than videos too!

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm I thought thermal paste is not really necessary? Anyway thank you for this guide, it's the best I've seen do far, incredibly detailed, better than videos too!

It is necessary... If not, it wun be adequate enough to transfer heat from the cpu to the heatsink...

Kei_Li

Reaction score
power! just when I want to put my own PC together after donkey years building my last rig.. XD

Kei_Li

Reaction score
It is necessary... If not, it wun be adequate enough to transfer heat from the cpu to the heatsink...

not necessary for a new heatsink i reckon? Since there are already thermal 'sticker' on them already.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not necessary for a new heatsink i reckon? Since there are already thermal 'sticker' on them already.

If there is thermal paste on those 3rd party heatsinks, den u dun need to get. But some brands dun provide, so u gonna have to get your own TIM. Besides, most brands include lousy TIM which dries up very fast. I would prefer to invest is a decent TIM like MX4. cheap and good.

My 2c.

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thank you royfrosty for this amazingly good and comprehensive DIY guide. This is to date, the best DIY guide I've ever seen.

Sticky worth even though not complete yet.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright its completed.

Please feel free to comment on what i may have missed out. I will try to add in more info to it.

Thank you so much to all the people whom have shown your support. Will continue to take more pictures in making this guide more accurate as possible.

Big thanks to commach in making it as a Sticky worth! Appreciate it.

I would include in future more pics on how to connect the other peripherals.

Last edited:

Alternative X

Reaction score
1) You may want to include instructions on installing case fans for folks who brought extra case fans.

2) You may want to discuss MBR vs GPT formatting for HDD.

3) You may want to discuss about installing aftermarket coolers.( How do you install radiators in a push-pull configuration anyway? Extra long screws?)

4) You may want to discuss about installing devices in PCI/PCI-E slots and demostrate the reverse compatibility of the PCI-E format.(ie. PCI-E X1 card in PCI-E X16 slot.)

Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright will add in more stuffs tomorrow on OS installations, fan installations that i have missed out.

For aftermarket cooler i will see if i can find heatsinks.

sglords

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nice guide. i always like pic instead of video guide
i tink if could first resize image make it smaller
combine 4pic into 1 will be easier to read and ref to image

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Updated on fan connections info.

Maybe should let ppl note that for the molex to 3/4pin, do not daisy chain them into 1 moelx header. If not, it will kaboom like dat guy's 4 fans.

Daisy chain the correct way. Not sure if u still have his pics or not.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will there be an overclock guide after this Diy guide?

I'm afraid i wont be having an overclocking guide.

I would touch more onto the hands on DIY side rather than tweaking or optimizing.

However there are things that can be expanded out to:

- AMD processor installation guide
- A little on wire management
- OS installation walkthrough
- A simple aftermarket cooler installation guide

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.