[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

oric1

Reaction score
you mean blinking? yes mine blinks..

Thanks Simon for assuring that I'm not alone or having a faulty set :)

Yes, ithe 5Ghz blinks but the 2.4Ghz didn't and both lights on my N66U didn't blink either.

square

Reaction score
Hi, just brought my ac87 yesterday but i couldnt get my asus router connect to internet even updated the firmware. I selected Singnet-MIO as the preset.

Anyone can help me on this one?

2ulkifli

Reaction score
Hi, just brought my ac87 yesterday but i couldnt get my asus router connect to internet even updated the firmware. I selected Singnet-MIO as the preset.

Anyone can help me on this one?

I have the same problem, bought the RT-AC87U on 1st day, I have 2 Internet at home, one using Dynamic IP (SH) and another using Static IP (MR).

I think the WAN port is bad. I can get to the Router Console wirelessly but no Internet, tried configuring both Static and Dynamic and they both won't work. I didn't upgrade the FW thought I'd better get it to work 1st before I do that.

When I saw your post, makes me think that we both got lemon. I revert back using TP Link (Dynamic IP Internet) and ASUS RT-N66U (Static IP Internet) and they are running fine.

Now the problem is how do I get a replacement??

2ulkifli

Reaction score
and where do I go to?? my receipt is from Cybermind, do I go to COMEX or the shop in SLS or ASUS directly??

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
You are correct...hmm...

in AC87U manual, it actually recommends \ | | /, at angle 45, 90, 90, 45.

I going to try out to see if my link speed improve..

Edit: No difference...link speed still 1170

See no difference :)

So you can put \ | | / or l l l l :)

Please do not put like this /ll\ <<< Wrong position, you shouldn't even try to build a castle.

Best regard,
JK

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi square, the firmware loaded in your router as factory loaded firmware requires you to downgrade switch control to LEVEL 1 CTF as mentioned by Asus@SG.

My suggestion is to use your old router, get online and download the latest firmware .2678 from asus support site, or from a link in this thread which maylyn has posted.

Once u have extracted the firmware on your desktop, replace your ac87u again and then try to access the GUI at 192.168.1.1

You should be able to access the network map. Once u r there, on top of the page displays the firmware version, click it and it brings you to anither page for u to upload the new firmware you just downloaded.

Once everything is done, use the reset button on the router, press it for 5 seconds then release. Router is kinda retarded, but assured that it will reboot itself after a few seconds of releasing the button.

Now after you reset, everything goes back to default values and with the new 2678, LEVEL 2 CTF is still enabled by default but is now compatible with singtel fibre..

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are correct...hmm...

in AC87U manual, it actually recommends \ | | /, at angle 45, 90, 90, 45.

I going to try out to see if my link speed improve..

Edit: No difference...link speed still 1170

According to SNB gurus, they concur with linksys's user manual stating that if u need coverage on diff levels, ur antenna should face 45 degrees for the sides. If you have only 1 level, then all should be vertical upright.

Someone used the donut analogy for signal coverage. Therefore now it makes sense for vertical position on 1 level coverage and 45 degrees for multiple stories coverage..

The documentation by asus did not explain by the 45 degrees placement, i guess they wanna simplify for everyone so that it helps the people using it for multiple stories too..

2ulkifli

Reaction score
It is weird after FW update, I got MR connection to work using Dynamic IP, connecting my Synology Diskstation first and then will try see if Static IP works on MR.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
It is weird after FW update, I got MR connection to work using Dynamic IP, connecting my Synology Diskstation first and then will try see if Static IP works on MR.

Dear 2ulkifli,

May i know is this your first time using ASUS router?

Best regard,
JK

SimonLam

Reaction score
Guess I am getting 680+ to 730+ on my media bridge PC consistently with 2678.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 721015 kbps (90126.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 477920 kbps (59740 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 5 ms
Jitter: 0 ms
‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2014‎ ‎8‎:‎29‎:‎48‎ ‎AM

2ulkifli

Reaction score
MR Static IP not working lah.. I open a ticket with MR to see if they need to hardcode router MAC Address of my new router, fallback to Dynamic IP works.

2ulkifli

Reaction score
Hi square, the firmware loaded in your router as factory loaded firmware requires you to downgrade switch control to LEVEL 1 CTF as mentioned by Asus@SG.

My suggestion is to use your old router, get online and download the latest firmware .2678 from asus support site, or from a link in this thread which maylyn has posted.

Once u have extracted the firmware on your desktop, replace your ac87u again and then try to access the GUI at 192.168.1.1

You should be able to access the network map. Once u r there, on top of the page displays the firmware version, click it and it brings you to anither page for u to upload the new firmware you just downloaded.

Once everything is done, use the reset button on the router, press it for 5 seconds then release. Router is kinda retarded, but assured that it will reboot itself after a few seconds of releasing the button.

Now after you reset, everything goes back to default values and with the new 2678, LEVEL 2 CTF is still enabled by default but is now compatible with singtel fibre..

I download from the Router link it shows, 3.0.0.4.376_2061-gdea2a5b as latest instead, how do I get .2678 ??

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
10593145_831706886863321_1051466942829909156_n.jpg

We have release new firmware for our ASUS router to improve WebUI, adding features, security and ASUS AICloud 2.0.

Explore the new and updated features in latest firmware below:
RT-N66U: http://bit.ly/1AZz1Gu
RT-AC56S: http://bit.ly/1tgjEs4
RT-AC56U: http://bit.ly/1n16qs4
RT-AC66U: http://bit.ly/YZiwfD
RT-AC68U: http://bit.ly/1pOG2qb
RT-AC87U: http://bit.ly/1u551F0

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
If we have multiple ASUS routers, does that mean we have multiple AICloud accounts?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.