[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

outer92

Reaction score
oh so if i wan my phone line connect to ont i need to call up singnet op? cause idun wanna to connect to aztech again D=
if you want to connect to ONT , you need to call singtel , activate to ONT.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Got 1 yesterday. Challenger person didn't give the free antivirus made me unwrap my AC87U to check if it's inside and then walked back to and fro 20mins :(

Can't wait to use it...in about 1.5months time.

ps. The mic quality of the headset is lousier than $2x Sonicgear Loop IIIx. :s11:

Hopefully get to test the speed and coverage once the renovation's done.

Dear CrazyBlue,

The headset is design for gaming and not for music.

Best regard,
JK

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Cool. Planning to plug in my 2TB 2.5" external harddisk to AC87U for time machine. Should be ok?

Dear Toyknight,

No problem :) i would recommend you use USB 3.0 HDD and plug-into USB 3.0 port.

Best regard,
JK

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Sad that my pair of ac68u left. I wish them well with their new owners.

At least it's helps you to offset some what you have paid for the AC87U :D

You will do the same when AC97/98/99U comes out :p or even the 10GbE router :D ;)

SimonLam

Reaction score
How much did u sell your RT-AC68U for?

a fair price to the buyers, given the Comex price is S$329 =:p

there are demands for 2nd hand AC68u... let me know if any of bros here who had upgraded want to let go yours.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
asus booth don't have stock. arrrr....
:(

Lol. Ard 830pm i saw they have a display bnib at the shelf. Note that the certain asus store at lvl 4 is operated by challenger and courts. Avertek staffs are there too..

Lvl 6 cybermind also got stock at 845pm. Lol

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Lol. Ard 830pm i saw they have a display bnib at the shelf. Note that the certain asus store at lvl 4 is operated by challenger and courts. Avertek staffs are there too..

Lvl 6 cybermind also got stock at 845pm. Lol

If any peeps that are really are serious in getting, please don't wait until last day of COMEX close shop time then go chiong down to try your luck and realised it's OOS ... please plan your timing :s13:

Last edited:

lawzhong

Reaction score
Try download the firmware again and flash.

Best regard,
JK

I tried to download and flash again but still can't work. However when i rollback to the previous firmware version, my macbook can detect the backup disk. Strange. May I check with you which format are u using for the time machine backup? NTFS or native mac format?

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
I tried to download and flash again but still can't work. However when i rollback to the previous firmware version, my macbook can detect the backup disk. Strange. May I check with you which format are u using for the time machine backup? NTFS or native mac format?

Dear Lawzhong,

MY WD passport using NTFS system format.

Best regard,
JK

evildoctor

Reaction score
Just got the asus Ac87u for 379! If you pay using DBS card at courts, there's a 20 dollar discount but must download the DBS shopper apps!
Btw guys, some help here. Just set up finish and everything is going fine. I would like to know any settings I should change so that Could enhance my security and performance? Other than the AI protection. And how to set up VPN? And anyone has idea how to do port forwarding for utorrent? Thanks much! Cheers!

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Just got the asus Ac87u for 379! If you pay using DBS card at courts, there's a 20 dollar discount but must download the DBS shopper apps!
Btw guys, some help here. Just set up finish and everything is going fine. I would like to know any settings I should change so that Could enhance my security and performance? Other than the AI protection. And how to set up VPN? And anyone has idea how to do port forwarding for utorrent? Thanks much! Cheers!

Dear evildoctor,

Let me list down the following question you have asked.

1. How to improve performance and security
Enable all AiProtect, Firewall and DoS protection.
You may input more than 8 digitals password for wireless to prevent others easily connect into your wireless connection.
Tweak your wireless 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz

2. How to enable VPN server
You need to enable DDNS client first before setting your VPN. Please make sure your internet service provider do not block VPN.

3. How to enable port forward for Bittorrent for my computer.
Enter 192.168.1.1 - Password& user name: admin/admin
WAN>WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding> Enable port forwarding
Select Famous Game List: Bittorrent
Under Local IP tab select your computer ip address and add local port 6881 then click on +
Apply. Done :)
Remember set your utorrent port to 6881

Best regard,
JK

oric1

Reaction score
Hi ASUS@SG / Maylyn or any gurus,

Currently the AC87U is in my study room and the wireless signal in my daughter's room is pretty weak. She's unable to stream videos to her tablet / mobile phone in her room.

Will it help if I were to install the EA-AC87 in her room when it's available so as to boost the wireless signal in her room?

Will the EA-AC87 be able to act as a wireless access point or do I still need to connect another router (I have a spare N66U) to one of it's LAN ports so that she can get strong wireless signal in her room?

Would appreciate any guidance as I've tried many options like powerline adapter, range extender, etc and the signal is still very weak. Laying LAN cable is not an option as it's too far away.

Some basic info: 200Mbps fibre, HDB 4-room.

Thanks.

Last edited:

oric1

Reaction score
Dear evildoctor,

Let me list down the following question you have asked.

1. How to improve performance and security
Enable all AiProtect, Firewall and DoS protection.
You may input more than 8 digitals password for wireless to prevent others easily connect into your wireless connection.
Tweak your wireless 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz

Best regard,
JK

Hi ASUS@SG,

Do you have any issues when you turned on your Adaptive QoS and AiProtection?

I only turned on my Adaptive QoS but not the AiProtection cos this guy in SNB got locked up when he turned on both even on the latest 2678 firmware.

SmallNetBuilder Forums - View Single Post - ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.