[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

ngailoon

Reaction score
I'm currently using the AC68U connected to my ViewQwest modem.

My flat is undergoing electrical rewiring so there's a chance to include LAN points in various rooms. Just like to check if I buy a new AC87U to act as the main router connected to the ViewQwest modem, and keep my existing AC68U, can I put the AC68U in another part of my flat and use it the extend both 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi coverage?

I'm still thinking whether to add in Cat6 LAN points, or simply use one or maybe two AC routers to get really good and complete wifi coverage.

Based on the current known feature sets, can I join a AC87U (main router) with a AC68U (secondary router) wirelessly (not sure of the specific operational modes), so that my client devices can consistently connect to either 2.4 or 5GHz networks (same SSIDs)?

Or can I only achieve this by joining the main and secondary routers via LAN?

I don't do any gaming so latency isn't a huge problem for me.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
10 char...

I'm currently using the AC68U connected to my ViewQwest modem.

My flat is undergoing electrical rewiring so there's a chance to include LAN points in various rooms. Just like to check if I buy a new AC87U to act as the main router connected to the ViewQwest modem, and keep my existing AC68U, can I put the AC68U in another part of my flat and use it the extend both 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi coverage?

yes.

I'm still thinking whether to add in Cat6 LAN points, or simply use one or maybe two AC routers to get really good and complete wifi coverage.

Based on the current known feature sets, can I join a AC87U (main router) with a AC68U (secondary router) wirelessly (not sure of the specific operational modes), so that my client devices can consistently connect to either 2.4 or 5GHz networks (same SSIDs)?

not quite recommended to join both wirelessly. lan better.

u can set 2.4 or 5 same ssid, but must be of different channel. eg. router 1 2.4ghz on channel 6, router 2 2.4ghz on channel 11. for 5ghz, router 1 on 36, router 2 on 149.

Or can I only achieve this by joining the main and secondary routers via LAN?
set 2nd router as access point.

Twilight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am still using the rt-n66u..

Does this rt-ac87u performance better than my old router?

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those affected by the 5GHz. Connection keep dropping so frustrated until I switch to 2.4GHz.

Seem to happen thru out many Asus model. Believe is a hardware design issue. RMA also no help.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seem to happen thru out many Asus model. Believe is a hardware design issue. RMA also no help.

Dont think it's a hardware problem.. I'm using 5ghz all the time and have no issue with it.

I only have issue with 5ghz broadcasting WPS though I have switched off alr.. hahas

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Solid 5GHz experience here with MBA(2 streams), MBPr(3 streams) and Tab S(2 streams). Using Channel 36, 80mhz and with Universal + 802.11ac beamforming on(previously need not enable these on AC68U)

Only qualm is that no significant improvement over AC68U. Talking about real world transfer speed to and fro NAS.

Average around 315mbps (39+ MB/s) on MBPr and 251mbps (31+ MB/s) on MBA testing using a single windows 8 .iso in my room, about 7m from the router which is in living room 1 feet off the ground.

oric1

Reaction score
I am still using the rt-n66u..

Does this rt-ac87u performance better than my old router?

I'm one of them who switched from N66U and yes, AC87U, has better & stronger coverage. Tested & proven.

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
I think the Deep Packet Inspection is cool story bro.
Right now even if I throw in a Intel i5 it might not perform DPI at gigabit speeds and you want me to believe Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 can do it?

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone tested dual wan successfully?

i cant get secondary wan 'connected' regardless of failover or load balance mode

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems the same for me from AC68 to AC87. Wireless transfer around 60MB/s from NAS to PC with 2 antenna wifi AC on PC.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.