[First Impressions] OPPO PM-2

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
About Myself

I have been in this music/audio hobby for roughly 4-5 years. And over these years, this hobby allowed me to understand myself through appraisal of music genres, and then associating her (music) to how I feel about them. Also, hearing unique sound signatures in delivering sound and music to my ears. Music that defines me for who I am; emotionally connected to music, sound, and voice. I am, of course, talking about something along the line of relaxing, enjoyable, and a musical experience of what music should be about. That is how I define "music". It is an intimate relationship between music and individuals to explain for a phenomenal sensory excitation and perceptual space in our eyes, ears, mind, heart, and soul.

Introduction

When it comes to headphones, I for one, stand strongly, and firmly with the Stax SR-007MKII or SR-009. I had no chance with the older revision of SR-007, even fellow owners or acquaintances/friends swears that it is damn bloody good, especially with the Blue Hawaii amplifier. Anyway, let's us not be too carried away with the Stax and the amp pairing. It is definitely end-game headphones for me, and my personal favourites. If you had the chance to audition the 007MKII or 009, please do so! But of course, after listening to the Stax, there are hardly any headphones can put up a good fight against those mentioned Stax headphones. My other personal favourites at the moment are AKG K550, Audeze LCD-3, Sennheiser HD598, HD600, & HD800, and Grado GS1000.

OPPO PM-2

The one and only exclusive OPPO PM-2 have found its way to the shores of Singapore, and resting at Song Brothers Headphone Buddy, Sim Lim Squre from Saturday (06/09/2014) onwards. You can audition the OPPO PM-1 as well at Song Brothers Headphone Buddy.

Before we move on to sound quality, we'll talk about the specification and aesthetic difference between these two headphones.

Acoustic Principle: Open back
Ear Coupling: Circumaural
Nominal Impedance: 32 Ohm
Sensitivity: 102 dB in 1 mW
Clamping Pressure: 5N
Cables: 3 m detachable OFCcable (6.35 mm), 1 m detachable OFC cable (3.5 mm)
Cable Connectors Output: 2.5 mm mono mini jacks
Input: 6.35 mm stereo jack, 3.5 mm stereo jack
Weight: 385 g (without cable)

Included Accessories: Denim Carrying Case, 6.35 mm and 3.5 mm cables, User Manual

*PM-1 had an additional set of velour and leather earpads and a beautiful wooden case/box while PM-2 doesn't get any.

Driver Specifications:
Driver Type: Planar Magnetic
Driver Size (Oval): 85 x 69 mm
Magnet System: Symmetric push-pull neodymium
Frequency Response In Free-Field: 10 - 50,000 Hz
Long-Term Max Input Power: 500 mW according to IEC 60268-7
Pulse Max Input Power: 2 W
*Exactly the same as PM-1

In summary, the main difference between PM-1 and PM-2 is the additional set of earpads and wooden case/box for PM-1, and PM-1 gets a OCC quarter jack cable while PM-2 gets a OFC quarter jack cable.

In terms of aesthetics, the PM-1 is definitely the pimped up version of the PM-2. The PM-1 has polished finish along the hinges of the headphone, while the PM-2 has a unpolished finish.

If you were to ask me, the unpolished finish looks really really good compared to the polished finish. The unpolished looks more "soild" and "strong/masculine" in character compared to the PM-1.

Test Setup

DAP/Source: AK120, AK100
Amplifier: OPPO HA-1

Tracks:
Dvorak Cello Concerto in B Minor, Op.104 - II.Adagio Ma Non Troppo - Jacqueline Du Pre (.wav 16bit 44.1kHz)
Cai Qin Folk's Song Album (DSD64)
My Romance - Ben Webster (.wav 16bit 44.1kHz)
Time Out 03 Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet (.wav 16bit 44.1kHz)
Club De Sol - David Chesky (.wav 16bit 44.1kHz)
Don't Know Why - Norah Jones (.wav 16bit 44.1kHz)
Home; Feeling Good; Me and Mrs Jones; You and I - Michael Buble (.wav 16bit 44.1kHz)
Erich Kunzel's Round Up Album (.wav 16bit 44.1kHz)
Xu Wen's Album one and two (.wav 16bit 44.1kHz)
Billie Jeans; Beat It - Michael Jackson (.wav 16bit 44.1kHz)
Daft Punk Random Access Memory Album (.flac, 24bit 88.2kHz)

Sound Quality

As this is a first impression, and this demo PM-2 is hardly run in/burn in. To people who subscribes to the burning in effect, I can assure you that it is definitely sounded a bit off, but there are cues in the sound to tell us this product has potential when it matures. To people who does not subscribe to burning in, then this first impression should be pretty accurate with a certain magnitude.

Lows/Bass:

The bass on PM-2 has a fast hard punch to it, without drowning the other frequencies in the mids or high range. For sure, it sounds aggressive. It is able to keep up with pace of almost any music thrown at it. However, it may be aggressive, but it sounded a little tad slower.

All in all, i think the PM-2 did very well on its bass section.

Mids/Vocal

The vocals are forwarded, and it feels as if the singer is upfront with you. Intimacy could probably explain the sound, however, it isn't as intimate but still it is able to make you feel like the singer is close to you, not intimately close. The PM-2 inherits the natural sounding of the PM-1. Teresa Teng and Cai Qin sounded very emotional when singing. There is almost no sibilance. In other words, it is an enjoyable experience.

Highs/Cymbals

On the PM-2, the highs is not its forte, unlike PM-1. I am not saying the high range sound is bad on the PM-2, but probably this is why it gives a little more "aggression" to the bass section and in a way, it has to be tuned to the price it is offered at. The is an earlier "roll off" of highs in the PM-2 compared to the PM-1.

Imaging & Sound Stage

The imaging on the PM-2 is somewhat slightly better than the PM-1 for some reason that I am struggling to find out. But anyways, the staging is not as wide as the PM-1, however, it is still not compromising on any other genre you can play on it, excluding classical pieces.

Conclusion

The PM-2 is available to audition at Song Brothers, Sim Lim Square #01-60.

It is priced at SGD999. *for a sound that is quite similar to the PM-1, and paying for only SGD999, it is quite a steal, frankly.

Regarding to bundle offers, kindly approach the headphone sales representatives.

sidrpm

Reaction score
Great well thought out write up. Do share your impressions after burn-in period.

kenz

Master Member
Reaction score
Think both PM1 and PM2 will have its own market.

If you need the full package, the PM1 is the way to go. Otherwise, the PM2 is there to save you some pocket change. :D

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
went back to listen to it the other day.... the overall SQ improved a little more.

paired with HA-1, sounds better...

I am starting to think PM-2 sound may be better than PM-1 for some reason... or probably most people are auditioning the PM-2 more than PM-1 :D

widget

Reaction score
went back to listen to it the other day.... the overall SQ improved a little more.

paired with HA-1, sounds better...

I am starting to think PM-2 sound may be better than PM-1 for some reason... or probably most people are auditioning the PM-2 more than PM-1 :D

Most people are scared with PM-1 retail price :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.