Microsoft Surface

Ray1976

Reaction score
thanks , mine currently is 10.18.10.3496

how do I update that, I try widow update...but nothing...update driver from device manager also nothing

Download the drivers, then perform the update driver via the device properties. Choose "Have Disk" and locate the drivers. The SP3 will reboot...check the graphics driver description again to confirm.

cy

Reaction score
Did you uninstall Hyper-V ? also Visual Studio would install Hyper-V too..

Hyper-V on will make the processor unable to drop down below its base freq (the i5-4300U would stay at 1.9GHz all the time, instead of going down to 0.78GHz when idle)

Thanks, I'll check tonight when I'm home :)

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The step is for disabling InstantGo because if you have InstantGo on, you won't have that power management stuff..

That power management stuff isn't now "hidden" in 8.1 but only when InstantGo is on. So if you want it, you have to disable InstantGo..

There are 8 fingers, stop looking at the problem and look further away for the solution...

Thanks. This works for me. What power minimum and limit settings do you recommend? 5% and 50% on battery?

Now with InstantGo off, is it true that some background processes takes slightly longer to load after restart?

~大.芒.果~

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. This works for me. What power minimum and limit settings do you recommend? 5% and 50% on battery?

Now with InstantGo off, is it true that some background processes takes slightly longer to load after restart?
Nah it just means you spend a few seconds more of your life waiting for the Surface to start when you put it to sleep...

minute_me

Reaction score
They will come collect. Might have to wait up to 2 days. Pack it all into box for the guy they will need the box back. As in pack it back into the surface pro 3 box. No need the brown shipping box

The live chat guys are not support staff, they are sales staff. Only answer qns on product

will they call before they come to pick up the stuff ? how do you do a reset to clean out all the personal stuff in the surface pro 3 ? thanks

xphobic

Reaction score
For those looking for the dock like me that was out of stock it's back in stock online. FYI

Luving my SP3

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
will they call before they come to pick up the stuff ? how do you do a reset to clean out all the personal stuff in the surface pro 3 ? thanks

From windows help, allow 30 mins or so for a full reset.

To reset your PC

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

sianz

Reaction score
Yeah they call to arrange a timing. Just fyi refund takes a long time. They collect from me last week but the item will only reach their warehouse next week. Then once there they need to assess make sure its in good condition, then they take another 5-7 days to do refund..

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's the specs and keyboard color did you choose?

took the i3 with a red type cover. and also a arc touch surface edition. dam scared i5 throttling and overheating issue during sustained usage. wanted wait for broadwell but u all so poisoning, enjoying the system so hooted first also haha....wonder if it will be like last year have refresh, then when u rma u get new generation

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
took the i3 with a red type cover. and also a arc touch surface edition. dam scared i5 throttling and overheating issue during sustained usage. wanted wait for broadwell but u all so poisoning, enjoying the system so hooted first also haha....wonder if it will be like last year have refresh, then when u rma u get new generation

If i3 has the 8GB RAM version I would have chosen that too, but not as far as the red keyboard lol.

I think Broadwell would be a major update taking into account the success and positive publicity that SP3 has now. With LTE and another USB port, it'd be a winner. In fact, the power brick should serve as a powered USB extension.

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i3 has the 8GB RAM version I would have chosen that too, but not as far as the red keyboard lol.

I think Broadwell would be a major update taking into account the success and positive publicity that SP3 has now. With LTE and another USB port, it'd be a winner. In fact, the power brick should serve as a powered USB extension.

yea hopefully broadwell comes with lte and better performance and lesser heat...im ok with the 4gb only gonna take notes and maybe java programming which doesnt take much i hope....but yet again if it lags i will return for the i5/256

picagen

Reaction score

The min and max you can play around it. the main thing is you don't want too slow that it affect your workflow.. if you want extreme, you can always try min0% - max10%

Normally min0% - max50% is fine for start, you can go lower slowly till you are happy.

Sleep is off cpu, off display but keep memory alive.. but during sleep, it doesn't check email, wake up from alarm, etc. But is instant on.. press button, its back as memory are still on.

InstantGo is like sleep, display off but memory and cpu still working at very low level, so backgound apps can still be running and wakeup on event just like a normal HP or tablet. also instant on.

Both Sleep and InstantGo will still go to Hibernation mode after a long(depends on settings) period of time.

Hibernation is off cpu, off display off memory, eveything off(zero power required), but before off, it dumps the whole memory content into the system disk( c: ) hiberfil.sys.
So when you press the button, it has to dump hiberfil.sys content back to memory. This takes a few secs(thanks to the fast SSD) but its still a few seconds of wait time before the system is back to where you were..unlike sleep and InstantGo where its instant on.

The one you are talking about the restart and load is not affected by InstantGo,

I believe you are referring to Fast Startup (hybrid boot). (this is dependent on the hibernation file instead.) disable InstantGo won't disable Fast Startup, but disable hibernation will disable fast startup.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.