Microsoft Surface

picagen

Reaction score
yea hopefully broadwell comes with lte and better performance and lesser heat...im ok with the 4gb only gonna take notes and maybe java programming which doesnt take much i hope....but yet again if it lags i will return for the i5/256

Well, the initial broadwell M Cpu results were just out.. the 4.5Watt broadwell chip has about the same benchmark power of a i5 15Watt haswell chip.. that is really good.. imagine 3x less power and heat from the current i5. it will sure push the battery hours beyond 12hrs if MS don't shrink the battery capacity.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The min and max you can play around it. the main thing is you don't want too slow that it affect your workflow.. if you want extreme, you can always try min0% - max10%

Normally min0% - max50% is fine for start, you can go lower slowly till you are happy.

Sleep is off cpu, off display but keep memory alive.. but during sleep, it doesn't check email, wake up from alarm, etc. But is instant on.. press button, its back as memory are still on.

InstantGo is like sleep, display off but memory and cpu still working at very low level, so backgound apps can still be running and wakeup on event just like a normal HP or tablet. also instant on.

Both Sleep and InstantGo will still go to Hibernation mode after a long(depends on settings) period of time.

Hibernation is off cpu, off display off memory, eveything off(zero power required), but before off, it dumps the whole memory content into the system disk( c: ) hiberfil.sys.
So when you press the button, it has to dump hiberfil.sys content back to memory. This takes a few secs(thanks to the fast SSD) but its still a few seconds of wait time before the system is back to where you were..unlike sleep and InstantGo where its instant on.

The one you are talking about the restart and load is not affected by InstantGo,

I believe you are referring to Fast Startup (hybrid boot). (this is dependent on the hibernation file instead.) disable InstantGo won't disable Fast Startup, but disable hibernation will disable fast startup.

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I played around max CPU settings and found 50% to be the ideal between performance and laggy. 40% is laggy but still can work. This is just for normal office use and I suspect the deal breaker is Chrome which I tend to open multiple tabs at once.

Now that InstantGo is disabled, I noticed that we can't double click the Pen to launch OneNote. Is this true? Everything works fine except for the double click function.

picagen

Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks for the info. I played around max CPU settings and found 50% to be the ideal between performance and laggy. 40% is laggy but still can work. This is just for normal office use and I suspect the deal breaker is Chrome which I tend to open multiple tabs at once.

Now that InstantGo is disabled, I noticed that we can't double click the Pen to launch OneNote. Is this true? Everything works fine except for the double click function.

try not to use chrome, as it has a bad reputation for power drain. just stick to IE for now..

Yes, you are right... pen double click is using bluetooth signal.. so, with instantGo off, when you sleep/hibernate your system, there is nothing listening to your pen.. since everything is off. InstantGo is not truely switching off your system, It is able listen to the pen.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try not to use chrome, as it has a bad reputation for power drain. just stick to IE for now..

Yes, you are right... pen double click is using bluetooth signal.. so, with instantGo off, when you sleep/hibernate your system, there is nothing listening to your pen.. since everything is off. InstantGo is not truely switching off your system, It is able listen to the pen.

Thanks. The double-click also doesnt work when the system is on. Tried unpairing and pairing again but still the same. The other buttons are fine.

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
have been using for about 2 hours. honestly impressed...the i3 is performing very well....even for gaming...managed to free space by removing hibernation files and indexing...now have 41gb free space havent install anything yet....recovery files left untouch
10615629_10152542496727935_6654721015233773465_n.jpg

Last edited:

picagen

Reaction score
Thanks. The double-click also doesnt work when the system is on. Tried unpairing and pairing again but still the same. The other buttons are fine.

Hi, I have mine set to instantgo off.. and my pen single click still opens onenote and double clicks still opens the screen capture..

Of course, the moment I hibernate it.. the pen top buttons are not working.. (the system is totally off)

You need to double check pen battery.. the top purple button uses button battery, only the writing function pen and lower 2 button uses the AAAA battery...

picagen

Reaction score
have been using for about 2 hours. honestly impressed...the i3 is performing very well....even for gaming...managed to free space by removing hibernation files and indexing...now have 41gb free space havent install anything yet....recovery files left untouch
10615629_10152542496727935_6654721015233773465_n.jpg

Welcome to the i3 sp3 club... hee.. ;)

yes, its pretty powerful.. making full use of what we pay for..

But of course if it was broadwell, I would be much happier..

Only thing that I don't like about sp3(applies for all the i*) there is no charge limit control.. its just set at 100% at 8.70 volt (4.35v per cell) so for those who plugs in all day.. its not too healthy for the battery..

cy

Reaction score
Did you uninstall Hyper-V ? also Visual Studio would install Hyper-V too..

Hyper-V on will make the processor unable to drop down below its base freq (the i5-4300U would stay at 1.9GHz all the time, instead of going down to 0.78GHz when idle)

Hi, I went to turn windows feature on and off option and true enough, hyper-v was still checked.

I unchecked and rebooted and all processor option appeared!

Thanks so much for e help:)

sianz

Reaction score
Yay! My refund has been processed and they refund the full amount to me.

Last edited:

eijnaix

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone encounter this weird issue of audio not working.... Yesterday sill working fine but this morning so here's a red Cross on the task tray on my via speaker..

Can't enable it either.... Detect issue say one or two of the audio system not working..

cy

Reaction score
Looking to get e docking station for the SP3. Any Bro here spotted in at a physical store eg Harvey Norman, Best Denki, Challenger etc? Just like to get it fast. Or if I order from Microsoft, how long (roughly) is e delivery?

alan_shearer

Reaction score
Doe anyone know if we need to create a recovery USB thumb drive? or will the usual windows recovery in windows 8 be good enough?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

One thing about the SP3 is that if you off the machine and charge it there's no way you can tell whether it's fully charged. Does the white light switches off or changes color when the SP3 is fully charged?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.