Microsoft Surface

Livewings

Master Member
Reaction score
Funny, I don't feel any "spikes and lags", maybe what you are doing is really demanding. Also have you update all the firmware and patches? sometimes its background downloading and indexing can cause a lag effect... just finish downloading and install all the updates, let it run for a while to allow indexing to complete(or you disable it)

My i3 sp3 is perfect for me for now. it is more than enough for my needs, yes, even just doing onenote with it is fine, no lag.. my priority is usually battery life over speed. Would love to have broadwell for battery life too. speed is not top in my list as if I need speed, I can get a powerful lappy or just use my desktop.

Also important not to have an expectation that this surface pro3 is to replace a full fledge laptop.. it is not.. this is a hybrid 2 in 1.. it is trying to compete with both an ipad and an MacBook air.. it is not a MacBook pro. if you are the so called power user, you should really get a MacBook pro or any alienware stuff.

Do note that the i3 has a lower idle frequency(0.57GHz vs 0.78GHz) which helps in using less power but may have a very very slightly slower reaction before steping up to the full base freq. You can try locking min to 100% and see if its still lagging to you.. if it does, no point getting the i5/8GB/256GB, you should just go for the i7.. as i5 and i3 is almost the same in both cpu and gpu, i7 is different, better in both cpu and gpu, since what you need is instant speed and not constant speed, overheating won't be your problem.

Or just get a normal tablet and give your zenbook a 2nd life. Maybe you have to wait till broadwell is out for surface to meet your needs...

Nope. The i7 and i5 has only 5% difference in performance.
The GPU even in i7 does not make a difference since throttling is so apparent.
i5 has double the performance of i3 IF you are looking at single threaded performance
meaning USING ONE CORE.
The only good i7's are those Quad Core ones found in Gaming Machines and rMBP 15.

sianz

Reaction score
Funny, I don't feel any "spikes and lags", maybe what you are doing is really demanding. Also have you update all the firmware and patches? sometimes its background downloading and indexing can cause a lag effect... just finish downloading and install all the updates, let it run for a while to allow indexing to complete(or you disable it)

My i3 sp3 is perfect for me for now. it is more than enough for my needs, yes, even just doing onenote with it is fine, no lag.. my priority is usually battery life over speed. Would love to have broadwell for battery life too. speed is not top in my list as if I need speed, I can get a powerful lappy or just use my desktop.

Also important not to have an expectation that this surface pro3 is to replace a full fledge laptop.. it is not.. this is a hybrid 2 in 1.. it is trying to compete with both an ipad and an MacBook air.. it is not a MacBook pro. if you are the so called power user, you should really get a MacBook pro or any alienware stuff.

Do note that the i3 has a lower idle frequency(0.57GHz vs 0.78GHz) which helps in using less power but may have a very very slightly slower reaction before steping up to the full base freq. You can try locking min to 100% and see if its still lagging to you.. if it does, no point getting the i5/8GB/256GB, you should just go for the i7.. as i5 and i3 is almost the same in both cpu and gpu, i7 is different, better in both cpu and gpu, since what you need is instant speed and not constant speed, overheating won't be your problem.

Or just get a normal tablet and give your zenbook a 2nd life. Maybe you have to wait till broadwell is out for surface to meet your needs...

Look I know you are an i3 fan, but my own user experience tells me i5 > i3. If he wants an i5 what's wrong with that?

Also the surface pro can replace a laptop. That is what it is!

picagen

Reaction score
Look I know you are an i3 fan, but my own user experience tells me i5 > i3. If he wants an i5 what's wrong with that?

Also the surface pro can replace a laptop. That is what it is!

I am not a i3 fan, I would be happy to get a i5 or a i7 if it suits the sp3 and my needs, I just place my views based on my use on a i3 so that is can help others to have a i3 side view, it does not suit everyone, it has its limitations, it has its advantages , but it does fill the need of some. The design of the sp3 only allows for a limited thermal allowance which only the i3 y chip does. if they had the i5 y chip.. its a different story... yes, in raw speed, i5 > i3 but in power savings and values i3 > i5 its just a matter of what is important to the person.

nothing wrong with him wanting a i5... but need to have a proper expectation. really sp3 with haswell is stretching its thermal design, you don't get what you pay for the i5 or i7.. he is using this sp3 as a stop gap over to the broadwell range which should be great... (but at the end of the day, he decides, not anyone of us.. we just offer help and view points)

Surface pro 3 does not replace a power user's laptop. it's about the level of a ultrabook. due mainly to thermal limitation design. its a hybrid 2 in 1.. that is why I say its more of a MacBook air and ipad and not a MacBook pro. this SP3 does not replace the power needs of a user requiring a MacBook pro.

Sorry if some feels unhappy at what I had said... guess I am just wasting my time here.. Don't worry.. no one is wrong, everyone is right to his view point.

Just enjoy what you have and use it for your needs.. cheers

sianz

Reaction score
I am not a i3 fan, I would be happy to get a i5 or a i7 if it suits the sp3 and my needs, I just place my views based on my use on a i3 so that is can help others to have a i3 side view, it does not suit everyone, it has its limitations, it has its advantages , but it does fill the need of some. The design of the sp3 only allows for a limited thermal allowance which only the i3 y chip does. if they had the i5 y chip.. its a different story... yes, in raw speed, i5 > i3 but in power savings and values i3 > i5 its just a matter of what is important to the person.

nothing wrong with him wanting a i5... but need to have a proper expectation. really sp3 with haswell is stretching its thermal design, you don't get what you pay for the i5 or i7.. he is using this sp3 as a stop gap over to the broadwell range which should be great... (but at the end of the day, he decides, not anyone of us.. we just offer help and view points)

Surface pro 3 does not replace a power user's laptop. it's about the level of a ultrabook. due mainly to thermal limitation design. its a hybrid 2 in 1.. that is why I say its more of a MacBook air and ipad and not a MacBook pro. this SP3 does not replace the power needs of a user requiring a MacBook pro.

Sorry if some feels unhappy at what I had said... guess I am just wasting my time here.. Don't worry.. no one is wrong, everyone is right to his view point.

Just enjoy what you have and use it for your needs.. cheers

Maybe we just misunderstood your views. Appreciate your viewpoint and I do agree that sp3 thermal envelope is a limitation for current gen chips. Cheers.

picagen

Reaction score
Nope. The i7 and i5 has only 5% difference in performance.
The GPU even in i7 does not make a difference since throttling is so apparent.
i5 has double the performance of i3 IF you are looking at single threaded performance
meaning USING ONE CORE.
The only good i7's are those Quad Core ones found in Gaming Machines and rMBP 15.

yes.. you are right.. :) just a little difference only...

i5 double the performance is only when its turbo boost. but that gets limited by the thermal.

Anyway, its a matter of what is more important, everyone's needs is different.. for me, no point having extra power when I run out of juice faster.

savage

Master Member
Reaction score
aiyah. everyone just buy what you can afford. don't think so much. You won't notice the real difference one... unless you're looking for it

miragez

Reaction score
This is weird with all the comparison of processor,

Let's put it this way those with i3 xxxx-U they will never be out perform to those with laptop with i3 xxxx-m regardless of what kind of benchmark you go through.

Of course if you want to argue about tablet i3 / i5 / i7 U they are supposed to be much faster every level you used... such as i5 > i3 and so on.... you can only believe the processor will perform better. Intel stated it, but on user experience it might different from each other usage. ( this you can compare with all the ultrabook models ).

So to all new buyers, you got to think not about the i3 / i5 /i7 the speed difference is not much unless you doing programming or some graphics intensive on everyday usage.... and if you do so ( I believe this tablet is not for you even though there are people out there uses it but we never know how much do they use for graphics rendering or intensive work with it. )

What you need to look at is its offering
- ram ( memory helps with capabilities to open more apps and load more background apps )

- storage ( how much storage do you really need, review your previous laptop experience, the data you have.) ** Do you have a portable harddrive if so then this should help you think faster ?

What is your current setup in your laptop ?

Have you question why your C Drive uses so much space ?

What program are you going to expect your tablet to run ?
( this is really not built for gaming purpose for all to know ) U series gen chip.... then would it not kill the usage of other series gen chip in the market such as for gaming type? And yes if you want to play game on U series chip... then expect the heat....

This is my personal views having erm.... 1 desktop (i5 with 8GB RAM), 3 laptops ( thinkpad x220 on i5 with 16GB RAM ), and a surface pro 3 ( i5/256GB storage).:s12::)

Have a happy weekend and thanks for reading.

minute_me

Reaction score
Looking to get e docking station for the SP3. Any Bro here spotted in at a physical store eg Harvey Norman, Best Denki, Challenger etc? Just like to get it fast. Or if I order from Microsoft, how long (roughly) is e delivery?

If you need one NOW, I have one now, still in DHL box unopened.

You can have it at student price.

If no one wants it, I will just return it. I don't need to sell at a lower price. :)

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's completely contradictory to your cheers and praises just a few days ago.
And also you said you didn't want to replace your Zenbook?
Why the change in impression so suddenly?

Maybe just get an iPad.

Yea sadly once I pushed it..omg it just can't perform....it can play games but....for example apple website iphone 6 with lots of animation and all scrolling the page has stutters! Facebook too...

Not say don't want replace...but just not selling it....so I still have a i7 machine if I really need more performance....but the basic things I expected the surface to do smoothly we no hiccups. Tried the same things on the i5 no problem at all...

Already have an iPad lol. I still want a surface pro 3 mostly for note writing....the rest are added bonuses that I do not need to carry a extra zenbook when going school which the i3 doesn't give and I can't live with it so no choice need to order a higher model....

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have updated everything. set my indexing off clear my hibernation and all the stuff to optimize the ssd. Just surfing on websites with many pictures and gif and its a goner....

However on the i5 version no issues, i even notice little spikes when i move my mouse over for my auto-hide taskbar to show.....theres a slight jitter and thats with no process running.....

I guess this could be me being very demanding...I however know im gonna miss the batt life and low heat from the i3 model.....but really if its performing like that and i continued to keep the i3....i will only use it for note taking purpose....without the added bonus of doing some real computer work and not needing to carry the zenbook...i kind of suspect it could be the ram being at 4gb too and not the i3 fault....because tbh the i3 can run minecraft at 30-40fps....4k video doesnt lag....

my zenbook is the same i7 as the one offered in the sp3....so no plans getting the i7....guess you could say i was craving for a new device after about half a year hahah....also have an ipad already so yea.....

hopefully after i get my i5 everything will be alright...i expect only 1 complain for it and thats throttling during sustained usage....but hopefully a firmware fix will come or a refresh broadwell comes where by a rma gets u the refresh model

Last edited:

picagen

Reaction score
I have updated everything. set my indexing off clear my hibernation and all the stuff to optimize the ssd. Just surfing on websites with many pictures and gif and its a goner....

However on the i5 version no issues, i even notice little spikes when i move my mouse over for my auto-hide taskbar to show.....theres a slight jitter and thats with no process running.....

I guess this could be me being very demanding...I however know im gonna miss the batt life and low heat from the i3 model.....but really if its performing like that and i continued to keep the i3....i will only use it for note taking purpose....without the added bonus of doing some real computer work and not needing to carry the zenbook...i kind of suspect it could be the ram being at 4gb too and not the i3 fault....because tbh the i3 can run minecraft at 30-40fps....4k video doesnt lag....

my zenbook is the same i7 as the one offered in the sp3....so no plans getting the i7....guess you could say i was craving for a new device after about half a year hahah....also have an ipad already so yea.....

hopefully after i get my i5 everything will be alright...i expect only 1 complain for it and thats throttling during sustained usage....but hopefully a firmware fix will come or a refresh broadwell comes where by a rma gets u the refresh model

No worries, not intending to change your mind, but I try testing my sp3.

I go over to Apple - iPhone 6 no shutter (beside the apple site, have open 20 tabs in IE desktop, -hardwarezone, yahoo.com.sg, facebook, gmail, yahoo mail, dpreview at gallery viewing images, ebay, qooo10.com and other etc sites, memory usage is at 1.4GB for IE alone, running a notepad and a hardware monitoring sw and the task manager . Tried facebook with pictures and videos.. no shutter..

Also tried Apple - Apple Watch with the 5 big image swapping right to left, I can scroll up and down with no shutter even while the image is changing and I am scrolling.. my current CPU package temperature is at 44 degree C.

Tried auto-hide taskbar, no spikes I can see
(note: running at 599MHz CPU usage went up about 5% or less, not really a spike.. fixed cpu speed at 1497MhHz,, cpu goes up 1% or less cpu temp at about 46C)

I do a encoding of a 2GB mp4 video file using ffmpeg (cpu up to 100% 1497MHz cpu temp at 66C memory at 74%) with ie still open with 20 tabs and tried again with the apple site... iphone6.. no lag or shutter... I scroll up.. and down quickly.. page follows... using a Bluetooth 3.0 HP Z5000 mouse

My indexing is not turn off, my hibernation file is always there.(at default 75% of memory - 3GB).. fixed my pagefile to 1GB... disable InstantGo.. running on main plug power... not using the default MS graphics driver but the latest Intel HD graphics driver 3907

Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Knowing that you just got the SP3, is your lag due to Windows updates? i3 shouldn't be that weak. Perhaps you can bring your set to compare against the display sets at Challenger Funan. I think their version is i5/128.

knave

Master Member
Reaction score
Just curious are SG stores out of stock for i5/128gb model?

A bit lazy to make a trip down to challenger.

cy

Reaction score
May I know how to purchase e Microsoft Complete Warranty for Surface Pro 3? Live chat and call is hopeless....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.