View Single Post
Old 16-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
Questor

Audio Jitter is machiam like the hand reaction of the conductor of a symphony. If the violin comes a few picosecond later, it won't sound right to the discerning classical music lover.
I don't think that's what jitter sounds like (you can play with a Audiophilleo usb/spdif converter which mimics jitter), though improving jitter does help with timing. Extending or shorter decay is usually caused by something else, IMO.

If jitter were the biggest issue, chord's qbd76hd would have been closest to perfect with its buffer.

Since you like quotes, this is one from Charles Hansen - "The end result will depend on how well your external DAC rejects jitter. Unfortunately there is no such thing as an S/PDIF DAC that completely rejects jitter, except for the Chord. It has a big buffer and it takes 4 seconds after you hit play before you hear music. "
Computer Audio Asylum

The reality is that it isn't the best still, and even with the buffer, you can improve the sound by improving the transport. I kept it for several years before moving on after upgrading it twice.

Not really sure where this discussion is going. I'll just say it's good to know and understand the theory, but listening is still the best determinant because there are too many unknowns in audio that are discernible at the moment, unfortunately. More expensive or better spec doesn't mean better sounding. And in a complete hifi system, there are probably equally or more important components to look at, such as transport, usb power and pre-amp. IMO.

Remember back in the day when async usb was supposed to solve our computer audio issues, and yet now actually we are finding computer audio is far more sensitive than one could have imagined?

We have to remember music is something emotional and personal. It isn't a game to see what is faster/more accurate. Just like how the best ingredients doesn't translate to the most satisfying food.. sometimes a really nice chicken rice beats everything.

I have to question if when you listen to live music, can you really hear all those micro details of the violin? Personally even with unamplified performance for a crowd of 10, seated just steps away, I can't hear as much as from my hifi system... is it important to be able to hear that much to enjoy? Not saying that it's not good to pursue that as a hobby, but that other elements of the music can be more important that we should never forget about.

Often for people in this hobby, I always see comments that they have higher performance after upgrading, but music is not enjoyable for some other reason (which may spur on more upgrading). To me, that's someone who went off the path.. because music should ALWAYS be enjoyable as a core criteria.

Last edited by Questor; 16-09-2014 at 08:05 AM..
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote