View Single Post
Old 17-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #22
dqwong
Arch-Supremacy Member

Mysteries I'm talking about are something far fetched.. something along the lines of why turning on or off my unused power sockets (with nothing attached) in the audio room will affect the sound, even when I'm on a dedicated line (I actually have 3 for my hifi).

I have tried clocks and again, doesn't mean better.. guess what, even what cable you use for the clocking also changes the sound.

As for details - I think more is better. I feel the issue is whether the sound is balanced when you elevate one characteristic.. it's just like you added a bit more salt in your food, you may need to adjust the blend of spices so it doesn't taste too salty.

Similarly, since you mention camera, hobbyists often focus too much on the camera/lens and not enough on how to take a great photograph. What captures life is not just determined by a great camera/lens.. just like in hifi, while a equipment can be really good in the lab or measure well, at anyone else's place, it will sound totally different.

Enjoy.
There's so much variables in the audio chain that it's mind bongling to think of all things that affect the final audio output.

So far my best sounding setup(Non-AC Powered) is

Ipad 2 with Accudio Pro(Player with EQ) > Camera Connection Kit > Centrance Dacport(USB Y Spitter with usb power bank) > Headphones.

The problem with good equipment/playback system is that the extra bass, resolution and detail gets fatiguing for the ears/brains to keep up.

Sometimes you just want to relax and listen to some background music and not overly analyze the music.

E.g. if the same song is played on radio, due to the lower SNR/loudness compression of radio transmission, it sounds so much more relaxing to listen to vs the flac version that I have which has too much dynamic range and tend to bombard your auditory system with more loudness changes, sibilance and etc.

It's like viewing an oil painting of scenery(easy to understand) vs a HD video of the scenery on a 4K OLED 80" display(information overkill).

This is especially with the latest ESS DACs(almost all of them), where they tend to sound more aggressive/attacking/revealing/forward with the drums and cymbals.

Last edited by dqwong; 17-09-2014 at 07:54 AM..
dqwong is online now   Reply With Quote