[ADVISE]: Part-Time Diploma In Infocomm & Digital Media in NYP

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
I'm sorry to dig out an old thread, just want to share that NYP is posting the Diploma In Infocomm and Digital Media (Networking & Systems Administration) to me and if everything goes well, I'll be starting from 20 October. :)

Elspeth

Master Member
Reaction score
Good Day,

I am seriously considering going for the Part-Time Diploma In Infocomm & Digital Media (IT Network & System Administration) offered by NanYang Polytechnic.

I am already in my 40s and wanted to have a local diploma so that I can apply for a job that I am interested in school (non-teaching) or hold a better position in most MNCs.

Although I have a bit and pieces of 15+ years of experience in IT industry throughout my career, I cannot get or hold the job I want or desire in the IT industry due to my educational level. Because of that, I have not developed good skills for better jobs. I hope once I completed my diploma, I can changed that and broaden my limited skill sets.

Please help give advises on this course if you are currently taking or completed and share your experience here.

I currently holds a Higher NITEC In Network Security Technology with an average GPA 4 but applying for my ideal and dream full-time diploma (Diploma In Network Systems & Security) is not possible as I have studied in Poly before but withdrawn/not completed (family and financial reasons) many years ago and recently as vacancies for this course are extremely limited and I will be at the bottom-end of the list when comes to the selection process for Poly regardless of my GPA score.

So if I will to try to apply for a full-time diploma that matches closely with the Ngee Ann Poly Diploma In Network Systems & Security with less strict and more vacancies available course will be NanYang Poly Diploma In Engineering Informatics which I will try to apply when their DAE opens today.

Although I already heard that this part-time diploma cannot be used to enter local Universities such as NUS, NTU, SMU.... but I also heard that a bro here got entry to UniSIM with this diploma.

The discussion here will help me determine if I go for this part-time diploma or go for a full-time diploma in Poly. DAE for SP and NYP starts today till 28 Feb, so I will have about less than 4 days to consider which option to take. Therefore, I hope bros or sis here can give me some advises on this part-time course or feedback about the courses in general will be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Calvin

hi calvin i'm somewhat in the same boat as you except that i'm younger.

just checking those who studied in full time or part time poly before stand very low or no chance of entering this part time dip course in nyp? i dun have a proper diploma yet.

i have 2 higher nitec certs ... 1 in IT and 1 in mech engrg. i studied mech engrg in SP full time dip 3 yrs but didn't complete.

prior to SP and before i took up my hnitec in mech engrg i studied in nyp this course which was named engrg informatics last time for about 6mths then i quitted. last time it was 5 yrs part time for this course. believe it's the same course as what it's named now just that they changed the name.

so do i stand any chance of enrolling back into this course for 2.5yrs and will moe permit me to? or will i be given last priority becos i studied in poly before? also would i still be given subsidies for course fees?

calvin, what's the rate of school fees per term that you're paying now for yr first sem? do u have govt subsidy granted for your course fees or are you paying the full rate ?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i nv apply IT , i go apply office course :p
it went it.. actually part time quite easy to go in de

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
hi calvin i'm somewhat in the same boat as you except that i'm younger.

just checking those who studied in full time or part time poly before stand very low or no chance of entering this part time dip course in nyp? i dun have a proper diploma yet.

i have 2 higher nitec certs ... 1 in IT and 1 in mech engrg. i studied mech engrg in SP full time dip 3 yrs but didn't complete.

prior to SP and before i took up my hnitec in mech engrg i studied in nyp this course which was named engrg informatics last time for about 6mths then i quitted. last time it was 5 yrs part time for this course. believe it's the same course as what it's named now just that they changed the name.

so do i stand any chance of enrolling back into this course for 2.5yrs and will moe permit me to? or will i be given last priority becos i studied in poly before? also would i still be given subsidies for course fees?

calvin, what's the rate of school fees per term that you're paying now for yr first sem? do u have govt subsidy granted for your course fees or are you paying the full rate ?

As far as I know, for FULL-TIME DIPLOMA, it will be based on if you are an ex-Poly student or not, vacant slots for the course you are applying and lastly, your results. So chances of applying and getting in for a ex-Poly student is slim for those popular IT courses and even those IT courses that are COP (Cut-Of-Point) of 24 and above since you will only be consider after everyone who has not studied in Poly before that meet the minimum entry requirements before Poly will consider your application.

As for PART-TIME DIPLOMA, no such restrictions as the diploma is designed for working adults or mature students who wants a diploma. You can even sit for their entry tests (if needed) if you do not meet their minimum entry requirements. But will be subject to vacant slots availablity.

I have been trying without success to apply for NYP Diploma in Engineering Infomatics (COP is around 23 this year) with my Higher NITEC cert of GPA 4 with COM but I was not offered a place. On the other hand, SP offered me the Diploma In Computer Engineering (my 2nd or 3rd choice when I apply thru DAE) but I have to work to earn a living now so I cannot study for FULL TIME unless I get a offer from NP Diploma In Network Systems & Security, my number 1 choice.

So the results are mixed so there is still hope if I keep on trying again and again and again till I cannot try anymore.

As for course fees, there is the WTS to enable those who quailty to pay only $200 w/o GST and other misc. fees from Poly for each module/sem but if apply as just a Singaporean without any funding will be around $800 per sem. PR will be slightly more.

Last edited:

Elspeth

Master Member
Reaction score
u so old alrdy still wana go full timeu siao is it?
u wana beo xmm is it?

how much u pay for yr first sem next mth la?

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
u so old alrdy still wana go full timeu siao is it?
u wana beo xmm is it?

how much u pay for yr first sem next mth la?

Haha...I just want a diploma to go local Universities...
All my life I have been not serious about studying and to a certain extend, if I am not a at least a diploma holder, I don't get a better starting pay.

It is also my wish before I die to achieve a task that I never will think I can do it in my lifetime as I don't like studying in my younger days.

I am paying $888.35 per sem for the next 5 sems.

kohdick

Reaction score
I applied part time diploma from sp,np and rp in engineering and all 3 polytechnic accepted my applications.

I only have nitec in electrical technology with gpa 2.8 and 5 years working experience which related to electrical engineering.

Gpa requirements is not a problem i think they are recognise more on our working experiences for poly part time diploma.

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
I applied part time diploma from sp,np and rp in engineering and all 3 polytechnic accepted my applications.

I only have nitec in electrical technology with gpa 2.8 and 5 years working experience which related to electrical engineering.

Gpa requirements is not a problem i think they are recognise more on our working experiences for poly part time diploma.

Yeah, I quite agree on that. But if there are similar job experience with others, Poly will still look to compare the quailifcation. But that alone has make it much easier to get in.

Based on my experience with my applications for full-time diploma, it remains if you are an ex-Poly student, chances are super slim for most courses.

Elspeth

Master Member
Reaction score
All my life I have been not serious about studying and to a certain extend, if I am not a at least a diploma holder, I don't get a better starting pay.

It is also my wish before I die to achieve a task that I never will think I can do it in my lifetime as I don't like studying in my younger days.

1 sem= 6mths?
so ex? $888? no subsidy?

Elspeth

Master Member
Reaction score

what time are your classes in the evenings for this dip? and how many evenings a wk?

Elspeth

Master Member
Reaction score
how recognized is this dip? compared to a full time one? can get considered for govt jobs? anyone managed to get pay raise after they attained this dip?

intime

Reaction score
how recognized is this dip? compared to a full time one? can get considered for govt jobs? anyone managed to get pay raise after they attained this dip?

- Part-time poly diploma is as recognise as the local poly system itself and the poly's brand name.
- PT diploma are generally not articulated or articulated to lesser universities locally/overseas. Thus, recognition for further studies is dependent on the relevant universities.
- Compared to a full-time diploma, PT diploma is more focus on the work requirements. FT diploma is more comprehensive, with subjects preparing students for further studies and more broad-based.
- There are definitely civil/public service jobs available for poly diploma graduates (regardless FT/PT), but to get short-listed is dependent on competition.
- Pay-rise is also dependent on whether it is required for your current jobscope, example, if you are now doing low-skilled work, the diploma may not help you at all. But if you are pending for higher-skilled and responsibility and your employer is waiting for you to get a higher education. The diploma will definitely help you push that button. :s12:

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
1 sem= 6mths?
so ex? $888? no subsidy?

If you are working already and are above 35 years of age (not sure about the age limit) and earn lesser than $1900 a month, you can apply for WTS from government and pay only $200+ per sem...:)

Wah can say until like that :s13::s13::s13::s13:

:D:s13:

what time are your classes in the evenings for this dip? and how many evenings a wk?

I was told it is 3 times a week, but I have not received which 3 days the lessons will be.

Dateline for enrollment is today 17:30 hours, for those who has not enroll yet. Verification of original educational documents are needed for the submission of the enrollment documents.

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
- Part-time poly diploma is as recognise as the local poly system itself and the poly's brand name.
- PT diploma are generally not articulated or articulated to lesser universities locally/overseas. Thus, recognition for further studies is dependent on the relevant universities.
- Compared to a full-time diploma, PT diploma is more focus on the work requirements. FT diploma is more comprehensive, with subjects preparing students for further studies and more broad-based.
- There are definitely civil/public service jobs available for poly diploma graduates (regardless FT/PT), but to get short-listed is dependent on competition.
- Pay-rise is also dependent on whether it is required for your current jobscope, example, if you are now doing low-skilled work, the diploma may not help you at all. But if you are pending for higher-skilled and responsibility and your employer is waiting for you to get a higher education. The diploma will definitely help you push that button. :s12:

Well said bro!

Elspeth

Master Member
Reaction score
If you are working already and are above 35 years of age (not sure about the age limit) and earn lesser than $1900 a month, you can apply for WTS from government and pay only $200+ per sem...:)

:D:s13:

I was told it is 3 times a week, but I have not received which 3 days the lessons will be.

Dateline for enrollment is today 17:30 hours, for those who has not enroll yet. Verification of original educational documents are needed for the submission of the enrollment documents.
u mean u enrol for course you nvr ask what time yr classes start ah ?

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
u mean u enrol for course you nvr ask what time yr classes start ah ?

To me, the timing is not important as it is in the evenings. What time start means nothing to me mah as long as got class and it is in the evening because I am unemployed or working part-time lightly at the moment.:s13:

Anyway, lecturer says time table only available close to the course starts so now is to wait lor..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.