Microsoft Surface

flashbug

Reaction score
Hi, anyone knows where I can get a arc touch mouse? Tried simlim and funan and it seems like it's out of stock everywhere!

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I don't quite understand. It says in the T&Cs that deductible applies, but they did not state how much deductibles and under what conditions do they apply... Is it stated when you purchase the complete cover?

It stated $50 deductible for a maximum of 2 exchanges. Not sure if it's in SGD or USD but it's cheap enough.

Vulpix

Reaction score
:s13: Read this pretty funny post of this guy getting sent 2x Surface Pro 3 instead of 1, then Microsoft charged him twice after he reported it, forcing him to have to find a solution to return it back or he won't be getting back that 2nd one $$$.

~大.芒.果~

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the XtremeGuard Carbon Fiber back Protector?
How do you do the installation?
Use water! :D

What I did was...

1. Basin of water (put a bit of soap if you want) and a cloth ready. Switch off your SP3.
2. Put the skin/protective layer into the basin, ensure that the WHOLE THING is wet.
3. While its inside the water, peel out the protective layer. Make sure your hands are still wet while peeling it.
4. Let the excess water drip off back into the basin; there has to be some water left, but not too excessive. Don't dry your hands, especially for the transparent one, cause when you do, you can start seeing the fingerprints.
5. Place the skin on your SP3.
6. Squeeze out all the water to the sides during a credit card or something. Make sure your cloth is there to absorb the water coming out so it doesn't drip into your Surface. While the thing is still wet, you can adjust it in case its not aligned properly.
7. Once aligned perfectly, leave it there for a few hours for it to dry and stick :)
8. Done!

Do wrongly? No worry, just peel the whole thing out slowly and redo from Step #1.

Last edited:

Reborns

Reaction score
sorry guys
I dun see the complete coverage for 2 years in the Microsoft store
am I missing something?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Hi

Anyone tested the transfer speed of the SP3's USB 3.0 port?

I ran 2 tests transferring 131 GB of files each time from the external 2.5 inch SSD enclosures (SATA III to USB 3.0) using 2 different brands - STARTECH and HOTWAY PROBOX - both supporting UASP. Transfer is direct without going through a hub.

The result was disappointing for the transfer speed is about 245 MB/s. My SSD is the SAMSUNG 850 PRO 512 GB.

I thought with UASP the transfer speed using USB 3.0 should reach about 450 MB/s?

I think the 2 different SSD enclosures cannot be wrong. So is there something wrong with the SP3 USB 3.0 port's device driver?

Any advise? Thanks

Last edited:

miragez

Reaction score
sorry guys
I dun see the complete coverage for 2 years in the Microsoft store
am I missing something?

Register your surface pro here at this link

register here

This will show you an extended warranty square box. If you need to purchase that you might need to give Microsoft a call to their hotline, it will be much more faster and painless.

BTW, it's only add 1 more year + 2 accidental damage. The existing warranty coverage without this plan is 1 year by default. so 1 + extended warranty 1 year is equal 2 years with +2 accident damage protection.

Hope this helps.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
any bro here knows how to set individual size scaling for dual monitor ?

It's kind of troublesome to go do setting everytime i plug in and out of the monitor.....

Try to install the proper driver for that monitor rather than the default PnP Monitor. Windows should remember the settings better when it's able to identify the model. Things like colour profile & resolution are remembered. Not sure about DPI what I think it's worth a shot since Win8 is suppose to have better multi-mon support.

Hi

Anyone tested the transfer speed of the SP3's USB 3.0 port?

I ran 2 tests transferring 131 GB of files each time from the external 2.5 inch SSD enclosures (SATA III to USB 3.0) using 2 different brands - STARTECH and HOTWAY PROBOX - both supporting UASP. Transfer is direct without going through a hub.

The result was disappointing for the transfer speed is about 245 MB/s. My SSD is the SAMSUNG 850 PRO 512 GB.

I thought with UASP the transfer speed using USB 3.0 should reach about 450 MB/s?

I think the 2 different SSD enclosures cannot be wrong. So is there something wrong with the SP3 USB 3.0 port's device driver?

Any advise? Thanks

First of all, what's the maximum sustained write speed of the SSD? Is it around 250MB/s? What about Read speed? The transfer speed will always follow the slowest link.

Have you tried it on a Desktop PC? Was the test done with the SP3 on battery power?
(I started a thread to discuss this
)

When using earphones on the SP3, when I pause a video, after 30 seconds there will be popping sounds at a constant 2-3 times per second.

Anyone got this problem?

I found thread in another forum discussing this:
Audio Popping via Headphone Jack? | Microsoft Surface Forums

Tried installing realtek audio drivers but the problem is still there.

Have you tried muting the mic?

Last edited:

Reborns

Reaction score
Register your surface pro here at this link

register here

This will show you an extended warranty square box. If you need to purchase that you might need to give Microsoft a call to their hotline, it will be much more faster and painless.

BTW, it's only add 1 more year + 2 accidental damage. The existing warranty coverage without this plan is 1 year by default. so 1 + extended warranty 1 year is equal 2 years with +2 accident damage protection.

Hope this helps.

Thanks you
the default 1 year warranty
doesn't cover accidental damage right?

Reborns

Reaction score
call microsoft store is 229
buy via surface.com is 214

like what miragez said....
call microsoft store, save me from headache and vomit BLOOD...

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First of all, what's the maximum sustained write speed of the SSD? Is it around 250MB/s? What about Read speed? The transfer speed will always follow the slowest link.

Have you tried it on a Desktop PC? Was the test done with the SP3 on battery power?

The Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB ssd spec is here

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd850pro/overview.html

and this ssd has been reviewed widely on the net so its performance is of no question.

I tested it with my SP3 connected to the ac mains. The average speed of transfer (Read) from the ssd to the SP3 is about 245MB/s. With the ssd enclosures supporting UASP this shouldn't be the case. It should be about 450MB/s.

According to what I read from the net it has something to do with the USB 3.0 host controller driver of the SP3 in supporting UASP and Windows 8.1. Even the SP2 faced this issue of slow transfer speed of its USB 3.0 port.

I think there's some compatibility issue between those enclosures releasd earlier supporting UASP and the USB host controller of the SP3.

FI I have written to STARTECH with photos asking for an explanation why their enclosure supporting UASP is performing so badly. I'm still waiting for a reply.

I'll be testing another ssd enclosure also supporting UASP when it arrives.

Last edited:

cy

Reaction score
call microsoft store is 229
buy via surface.com is 214

like what miragez said....
call microsoft store, save me from headache and vomit BLOOD...

Yes call until vomit blood. For me, I was lucky that one of e CSO replied to me via email to follow up on accessories enquiry,I took e opportunity to ask if she can help me purchase e complete warranty. I explain my ordeal through email to her. After about 10 emails exhange and one phone call, all was done and dusted. All within a day. I just can't understand why they don't have email enquiry. It's damn tiring to repeat e same old stuff to every CSO that ans my call.

Btw, e SGD$214 is before Gst.

Reborns

Reaction score

Samsung SSD 850 PRO Overview | Samsung SSD

and this ssd has been reviewed widely on the net so its performance is of no question.

I tested it with my SP3 connected to the ac mains. The average speed of transfer (Read) from the ssd to the SP3 is about 245MB/s. With the ssd enclosures supporting UASP this shouldn't be the case. It should be about 450MB/s.

According to what I read from the net it has something to do with the USB 3.0 host controller driver of the SP3 in supporting UASP and Windows 8.1. Even the SP2 faced this issue of slow transfer speed of its USB 3.0 port.

I think there's some compatibility issue between those enclosures releasd earlier supporting UASP and the USB host controller of the SP3.

FI I have written to STARTECH with photos asking for an explanation why their enclosure supporting UASP is performing so badly. I'm still waiting for a reply.

very detail research leh.

Reborns

Reaction score
Yes call until vomit blood. For me, I was lucky that one of e CSO replied to me via email to follow up on accessories enquiry,I took e opportunity to ask if she can help me purchase e complete warranty. I explain my ordeal through email to her. After about 10 emails exhange and one phone call, all was done and dusted. All within a day. I just can't understand why they don't have email enquiry. It's damn tiring to repeat e same old stuff to every CSO that ans my call.

izzit then no saving la LOL

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score

Samsung SSD 850 PRO Overview | Samsung SSD

According to what I read from the net it has something to do with the USB 3.0 host controller driver of the SP3 supporting UASP and Windows 8.1. Even the SP2 faced this issue of slow transfer speed of its USB 3.0 port.

Took me a while to realize you're talking about SCSI over USB. OK I may be completely wrong because I don't have compatible hardware to test but here's the deal.

UAS is a emulation of the SCSI protocol to work over USB. It's NOT SAS which is purely hardware-based SCSI. Software is always slower than hardware. Having said that, UAS does provide data request queuing to USB data transfer, similar to SATA NCQ. This reduces the latency of the data request & prioritise certain types of data BUT it doesn't really increase throughput according to Wiki, which states that UAS transfer will still not saturate the SATA-3 limits.

So no doubt SATA-3 is 6Gbps & the SSD is 520-530MB/s transfer, that's only possible on a SATA interface. Only way to find out is to plug it into another PC to try.

On the SP3, you can try to set it to Performance Power Profile to increase PCI-bus performance & see if the transfer rate improves.

minute_me

Reaction score

For such a BIG tech company, there is no email enquiry. Funny right ? you also can't find a single contact email in microsoft store website. :s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.