Microsoft Surface

desmondkw

Reaction score
hi folks can someone kindly tell me if sp3 has any display port for external display? example to a projector or tv?

It has the same mini-display ports as MacBooks. They should be widely (and cheaply) available - make sure you get the correct version:
- VGA: for most projectors
- HDMI: for most TVs
Check your displays to be sure.

Actually, does anyone know which shop sells Miracast devices with VGA/HDMI output?

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It has the same mini-display ports as MacBooks. They should be widely (and cheaply) available - make sure you get the correct version:
- VGA: for most projectors
- HDMI: for most TVs
Check your displays to be sure.

Actually, does anyone know which shop sells Miracast devices with VGA/HDMI output?

Go and get this from CHALLENGER@Funan

DisplayPort Adapters

The 4K one I mean

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are SIM students entitle for the students discount?

intend to get a friend to order on my behalf.

eijnaix

Banned
Reaction score
I got brand new red surface pro 3 keyboard to let go....send me a pm if interested.

Last edited:

jayz89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i need a laptop cum tablet and this seems to be the 1 im looking for, but i5 8gb ram cao cao 1.5k sia.

dk want go for ipad air or this.

on a budget.

Casperz

Reaction score
i need a laptop cum tablet and this seems to be the 1 im looking for, but i5 8gb ram cao cao 1.5k sia.

on a budget.

If one of your requirement is a 'laptop' replacement, then dont bother with the ipad. buy alrdy sure regret.

as for the price, think of it as u are buying both a tablet and a laptop to justify the cost. also use the student discount to get abt 150 bucks off.

rahul49

Master Member
Reaction score
Microsoft has confirmed that its working on Surface 4. Killing some rumours that Surface line has no future. Was very close to buying S3 but will hold for now.

Having tried it out, it's the perfect replacement for both my Thinkpad and iPad. Its a pain carrying both around while travelling. One for work and other for entertainment. Surface will be the one device to rule them all!! I am sure people will realise that. Even I wasn't sure till I tried one.

desmondkw

Reaction score

on a budget.

Really depends on your own use-case:
Surface Pro 3 = professional tablet: only choice if you need
- for meeting/ lecture notes
- for Photoshop/ CAD
- for on-site use with powerful windows apps
- if you value flexibility: you want to scale up to desktop/laptop by day and scale down to light entertainment by night, with all your files/media in one place

iPad =
- light work
- heavy entertainment + play

Some other stats to help you:
1) Price
iPad air 128gb = $1,108
Surface Pro 3
i5, 8 GB, 128GB = SG$1,348.00 (lightest, thinnest core device for only $200 more!!?!)
i3, 4GB, 64GB = SG$1108

2) Resolution
Both retina screen.
SP3 has TWO 5 megapixel camera but iPad only has ONE (other is a 1.2 megapixels camera?!).

3) Battery life
iPad: 10hrs
SP3: 8 hrs

4) SP3 tablet is only 17.6% thicker than iPad Air*
*with keyboard for both, probably the same or SP3 will be thinner.

Last edited:

desmondkw

Reaction score
Microsoft has confirmed that its working on Surface 4. Killing some rumours that Surface line has no future. Was very close to buying S3 but will hold for now.

Having tried it out, it's the perfect replacement for both my Thinkpad and iPad. Its a pain carrying both around while travelling. One for work and other for entertainment. Surface will be the one device to rule them all!! I am sure people will realise that. Even I wasn't sure till I tried one.

Agreed! My finger is on the trigger to buy but Broadwell chip (which the SF3 is really designed for) is delayed until middle of next year. If I wait, it'll be excruciating!

Only comforting thought is that SP will really sing with the new chip! LOL

cy

Reaction score
Is it possible to charge e SP3 via USB? Anyone seen such assessories?

jayz89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks you all for the feedback, me too will choose sp3 over ipad air if i really were to go ahead and buy 1.

Whats the student promo code? This code is to be keyed in on the microsoft sp3 checkout webpage right..

Another thing is the external keyboard cover must buy separately zzz

kenshinz

Reaction score
Anyone mentioned to find replacement nibs for the SP3 pen? Mine seems to be wearing out. Been using it quite extensively for notes taking since I got it

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/g...face-pro-3-selling-student-price-4839331.html

got it from this chap.

$10 cheaper than student price if you self collect.

when i collect the box, it was still in the DHL box, and the addressee's name on the mail label is quite interesting.

sold my ipad air today and got the 64gb from him right after that.

am now looking for a 4g/lte dongle or mifi and screen protector.

he's also selling the keyboard at discounted price too, but i'm gonna hold on the keyboard till it's necessary.

are there any good casing around?

Thanks you all for the feedback, me too will choose sp3 over ipad air if i really were to go ahead and buy 1.

Whats the student promo code? This code is to be keyed in on the microsoft sp3 checkout webpage right..

Another thing is the external keyboard cover must buy separately zzz

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro,

any updates on your HDD enclosure result?

I'm also considering getting one as well.

Ok, just tested in my office PC running Win 7 Pro with a HDD on USB 3.0. The transfer was disappointing about 145MB/s as compared to transferring to my SP3 reaching about 245MB/s.

I think the issue lies in the receiving HDD/SSD and not the UASP-supported USB 3.0 enclosures.

The SAMSUNG 850 PRO 512GB SSD is a top notch SSD with an ability to reach about 450MB/s in read/write. This is a proven fact.

Now if transferring to a slower HDD/SSD it is sure to impact its transfer speed. Although the SP3 comes with a built-in SSD I believe its performance is not as good as the SAMSUNG 850 PRO 512GB SSD. And that's the reason I'm only getting 245MB/s in transfer speed.

So to test the real capability of the SAMSUNG 850 PRO 512GB SSD you'll need two (2) identical or equivalent speed SSDs - one reading from and the other writing to.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro,

any updates on your HDD enclosure result?

I'm also considering getting one as well.

OK I have tested 3 SSD UASP enclosures and they all perform more or less the same with the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD. All transfer at a speed of about 240MBps.

This is now being confirmed to be the speed limitation of the SSD inside the SP3....if you ask me.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.