Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiral83

Reaction score
hi will be going to japan mid of next mth for 7 days. Thinking of buying a prepaid card. Can i know where to get it and which telco will be gd? thanks

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am heading to JP during xmas, does anyone have any experience in buying fabric?
Shibuya maybe?

lunzi88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know where can I make reservation for Nohi bus? Preferably around Shin-Osaka/ Umeda/ Higashi-Umeda areas.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to prebook your bus tickets? Nohi buses are based from Takayama. You can just go the stations where you are taking your buses slightly earlier to get your tickets. I think they are seldom full.

lunzi88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to prebook your bus tickets? Nohi buses are based from Takayama. You can just go the stations where you are taking your buses slightly earlier to get your tickets. I think they are seldom full.

I plan to purchase the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass and note that I have to exchange it when I'm in Japan. How do I use the pass for Nohi bus? Saw on the website that some buses require reservation and some don't.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Recommendations from me, book early... =)
U want me to call and book for u? I will charge service fee for calling. :p

jelom00

Reaction score
If I'll be having with me spare USD for exchange to Yen (last resort in case my pocket money, CCs, ATMs all ran out or cannot be used), where should be a good money changer in Tokyo? We decided to stay in Shinjuku so on that place preferably or in Akihabara?

witz75

Reaction score
May I know if there is any fuji one day tour that picks us up at tokyo, go to fuji, then disembark there? Cos after that we would like to be on my own n spend a night there.

But then I do not know how to manage my luggages if I stay at ryokan. Check in in tokyo, then go off to fuji. Leave bags in hotel? Wasted right. Station lockers nt big for my 32'. Any other method?

Last edited:

urban_closet

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Dimitri, have a question for you. Had asked this previously on the forum but the Japanese agent I bought my Rail Pass from advised that the trains would be crowded.

Landing 27 Dec and leaving 5 Jan 2015 via Narita.

Will be traveling out to Chubu region from 27 - 31 Dec and then returning to Tokyo on the 31 Dec to spend new year's eve. Remaining days (1-5 Jan) will be spent in Tokyo.

Seek your kind advice:

1. Given that it will be new year's eve (31 Dec), will it be difficult getting a train ticket back from Kanzawa / Takayama to Tokyo?
2. Will most of the shops be closed on 1-4 Jan 2015? Have read japan-guide.com and understand that most shops / attractions / restaurants closed on 1 Jan, while opening up from 2 Jan onwards. I'll be fine with missing 1 day of shopping / eating but hope everything opens from 2nd Jan onwards

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hard question: advise u to book ur tickets once u r there to avoid disappointment.

Most of the shops will only open on the 3rd or 4th..

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May I know if there is any fuji one day tour that picks us up at tokyo, go to fuji, then disembark there? Cos after that we would like to be on my own n spend a night there.

But then I do not know how to manage my luggages if I stay at ryokan. Check in in tokyo, then go off to fuji. Leave bags in hotel? Wasted right. Station lockers nt big for my 32'. Any other method?

those i saw on japanican(jcb), will bring you back to tokyo.

usually if ppl going back to tokyo, will leave their luggage there and bring a small bag. i didn't go fuji before, only hakone and big luggage is quite problematic moving around.

haha why wasted? you don't need to check-in. usually it's ok to leave your luggage with them if you're going to stay there the next night. or after your depart, also can leave luggage there up to a certain no. of days.

the other method quite popular but not cheap, which is to forward your luggage to your next destination (if you're not going back tokyo but going to kyoto/osake for e.g). again, also need to pack your items into a small bag.

Last edited:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Dimitri, have a question for you. Had asked this previously on the forum but the Japanese agent I bought my Rail Pass from advised that the trains would be crowded.

Will be traveling out to Chubu region from 27 - 31 Dec and then returning to Tokyo on the 31 Dec to spend new year's eve. Remaining days (1-5 Jan) will be spent in Tokyo.

Seek your kind advice:

1. Given that it will be new year's eve (31 Dec), will it be difficult getting a train ticket back from Kanzawa / Takayama to Tokyo?
2. Will most of the shops be closed on 1-4 Jan 2015? Have read japan-guide.com and understand that most shops / attractions / restaurants closed on 1 Jan, while opening up from 2 Jan onwards. I'll be fine with missing 1 day of shopping / eating but hope everything opens from 2nd Jan onwards
Though shops are closed but most new year rituals are happening at temples and shrine, this is a golden opportunity to participate or witness.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Seek your kind advice:

I will offer my understanding of the the New Year/(much similar to the Obon rush)...

When it is New Year, the Japanese will return back to their hometown to stay with their parents. Just like the Chinese, especially those in the major cities in China, people will be rushing home in time for New Year's day. The transportation out of major cities will be chaotic and fully booked. On the 3rd day of the New Year, people will be rushing back and this time round the transportation crush will be going into the city.

Of course I cannot guarantee anything but I think there should not be a problem getting back into Tokyo on New Year's Eve. If you should face any problems, it will probably be getting out of Kanazawa, as the locals will be going back to their hometown in the countryside.

Nevertheless, you should reserve all your seats once you touch down at Narita and Haneda airport to be on the safe side.

urban_closet

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. That jap agent gave me a shock when he mentioned the crush. :)

Will definitely enjoy the new year festival!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.