[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Singapore21

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com

"Cons: Can hardly stay connected to the internet. Had the Asus RT-AC68U that I upgraded from for the better speeds. I set it all up and it worked like a champ for an hr. After an hr is when i started to notice all the problems. Mainly it drops internet connection like there is no tomorrow. I have 2 tablets, 3 phones and 2 computers (not including this one) connected to it and they all lose connectivity. I check the computer and what do you know, it's connected to the wifi yet no internet connection. I tried the modem and router unplug reboot but that causes the internet to work for maybe 5 minutes tops. So i go on the Asus router management and do a router reboot from there and it works for a few hours before it drops signal again. In case you were wondering, yes i did upgrade to the latest software, no there is no outage from my cable company in my area, yes all my drivers are up to date. I took the router off and placed my trusty Asus RT-68 and bam, what do you know, it works perfectly with no issues. The internet is a little slower but there is NO connection lags or signal drops. I will return it as maybe it was a lime but if i get the replacement in with the same issue then i will say f uck it."

Common problem? I will hold off buying till it stabilises.

rapide

Reaction score
Key message here is:

"connected to the wifi yet no internet connection"

Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com

"Cons: Can hardly stay connected to the internet. Had the Asus RT-AC68U that I upgraded from for the better speeds. I set it all up and it worked like a champ for an hr. After an hr is when i started to notice all the problems. Mainly it drops internet connection like there is no tomorrow. I have 2 tablets, 3 phones and 2 computers (not including this one) connected to it and they all lose connectivity. I check the computer and what do you know, it's connected to the wifi yet no internet connection. I tried the modem and router unplug reboot but that causes the internet to work for maybe 5 minutes tops. So i go on the Asus router management and do a router reboot from there and it works for a few hours before it drops signal again. In case you were wondering, yes i did upgrade to the latest software, no there is no outage from my cable company in my area, yes all my drivers are up to date. I took the router off and placed my trusty Asus RT-68 and bam, what do you know, it works perfectly with no issues. The internet is a little slower but there is NO connection lags or signal drops. I will return it as maybe it was a lime but if i get the replacement in with the same issue then i will say f uck it."

Common problem? I will hold off buying till it stabilises.

Sonic76

Reaction score
Just to check with bros here.

Do you installed the Asus or RMerlin firmware for your AC87U ?
Which firmware did you installed ?

Thanks in advance.

zerglim

Reaction score
Hi All, just to check for the AiProtection feature from TrendMicro, do u need to update the signature? If have, the subscription is it life time free update? Thanks

rapide

Reaction score
Asus FW3561 that is being made available in this forum.

Still no news from Asus when this can be fixed.

Just to check with bros here.

Do you installed the Asus or RMerlin firmware for your AC87U ?
Which firmware did you installed ?

Thanks in advance.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Dear all,

Who have issue on Wireless drop? 5Ghz

Please provide details.

Firmware version:
Devices:
System log - Share on dropbox
Computer wireless driver version:
System: Mac/Windows
OS version:

*Please make sure you have installed latest wireless driver on your computer.

Best regard.
JK

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
Dear all,

Who have issue on Wireless drop? 5Ghz

Please provide details.

Firmware version:
Devices:
System log - Share on dropbox
Computer wireless driver version:
System: Mac/Windows
OS version:

*Please make sure you have installed latest wireless driver on your computer.

Best regard.
JK

currently not at home to check on the details but my firmware is the latest. Just updated about 2 to 3 days ago. Regarding Computer wireless version, actually it doesnt really matter because i use various different devices, Mac, windows etc. Even android phones like note 3 , note 2,. I even recommended my friend to use the Asus ac87u, and his MAC always have the no internet service detected after logging into the 5ghz freq and i advise him to disconnect and connect back, or to use the 2.4 freq instead. So knowing what computer drivers etc we are using doesnt matter because previously we were using routers from TPlink etc etc and using the same devices we currently owned, we do not faced this 5ghz issue.

It is clearly a problem with the Asus router. Both me and my friend's.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
currently not at home to check on the details but my firmware is the latest. Just updated about 2 to 3 days ago. Regarding Computer wireless version, actually it doesnt really matter because i use various different devices, Mac, windows etc. Even android phones like note 3 , note 2,. I even recommended my friend to use the Asus ac87u, and his MAC always have the no internet service detected after logging into the 5ghz freq and i advise him to disconnect and connect back, or to use the 2.4 freq instead. So knowing what computer drivers etc we are using doesnt matter because previously we were using routers from TPlink etc etc and using the same devices we currently owned, we do not faced this 5ghz issue.

Dear Jnashville,

Mac OS? which OS Yosemite?

Best regard,
JK

Sonic76

Reaction score
Just some questions for bros here.

I am thinking of getting another AC87U router and set is as Media Bridge.

Configuration at my place will be as follow:
ONT > AC87U (Set as wireless router mode) > AC87U (Set as Media Bridge) > Desktop

The router (wireless router mode) is located in the living room.
The router (media bridge) will be in my room

Am i doing it the right way ??
Will it be easy to setup Media Bridge mode for the AC87U router ?

I saw this in the user interface.
*In Media bridge mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes.
Install and use the Device Discovery Utility to get the wireless router's new IP address.

Thanks and apprecieate all helps :)

Last edited:

rapide

Reaction score
I guess they know they have an issue with 5Ghz but do not have the details to debug the issue. That is the reason they're asking us for system details, etc. Obviously that is due to lack of proper validation for compatibility/stability as they rush the "halo" product out to claim the title to be the first to market.

I'm just giving Asus (so-called R&D) one more week to come out with a solution before I dump two units of this 87U.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess they know they have an issue with 5Ghz but do not have the details to debug the issue. That is the reason they're asking us for system details, etc. Obviously that is due to lack of proper validation for compatibility/stability as they rush the "halo" product out to claim the title to be the first to market.

I'm just giving Asus (so-called R&D) one more week to come out with a solution before I dump two units of this 87U.

You just spoke my mind.. I'm planning to sell off this equipment too.. far too big a pill to swallow. Hefty price for poor performance..

rapide

Reaction score
But to be fair, let's provide all the info needed for Asus to reproduce the issue. I believe Asus@SG is merely a regional marketing contact point for parent Asus who's helping to manage their social media/forum in SEA. I believe he/she will need all the "bullets" to "convince" their Taiwan counterparts that they do have a serious issue based on the number of issue reports from their customer base. So let's do our due diligence and supply the info that Asus@SG requested.

If those folks in R&D still don't have a clue or can't get the right resources to fix the issue after 1 week, then that goes to show how serious Asus is in the Router/Networking business. Motherboards, GFX cards, etc.. I think Asus is spreading their resources too thin and as a result, their brand reputation is now at risk.

@keigo22: check back in 1 week's time :)

You just spoke my mind.. I'm planning to sell off this equipment too.. far too big a pill to swallow. Hefty price for poor performance..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But to be fair, let's provide all the info needed for Asus to reproduce the issue. I believe Asus@SG is merely a regional marketing contact point for parent Asus who's helping to manage their social media/forum in SEA. I believe he/she will need all the "bullets" to "convince" their Taiwan counterparts that they do have a serious issue based on the number of issue reports from their customer base. So let's do our due diligence and supply the info that Asus@SG requested.

If those folks in R&D still don't have a clue or can't get the right resources to fix the issue after 1 week, then that goes to show how serious Asus is in the Router/Networking business. Motherboards, GFX cards, etc.. I think Asus is spreading their resources too thin and as a result, their brand reputation is now at risk.

@keigo22: check back in 1 week's time :)

From my past few posts on firmware 3561 indeed sounded too unfair to asus@sg. I do acknowledge that and would like to offer my apology to asus@sg.

Let me be frank at the start, I am no one but an average tech savvy guy on the street.

What i wish to say is that i completely disagree with the way ac87u is marketed. I mean, its an awesome product and to be honest, that is why I am still using it despite its instability. However, the firmware is simply cui to the max. How could one accept the fact the initial setup process has bugs?

I honestly hope that team asus would come to senses of the severity in this situation now, and allocate fair resources to develop a firmware that is robust enough to live up to it's reputation!

While typing this towards the end, my note 4 and galaxy tab S have both lost the ability to connect to the internet despite both devices should full signal indicators. Sigh.

henrywjkoh

Reaction score
Hi, got a problem.

I just bought 1 set of AC87U from challenger and im still considering whether to refund or exchange or not.
Im currently using AC68U which is located in the back end of my study room where the fibre point is. As my living room and study room is separated by a walkway hence the signal at the living room sucks. I had another RT-N12HP at the living room to act as a repeater. Its connected using 500Mbps Homeplug. I did this in order to have a better coverage throughout the house but as its in repeater mode, the speed suffers. Im using Singtel Fibre 300Mbps btw.

Today i saw this AC87 therefore i thought it could replace my AC68 and i bought it on impulse. Now still staring at the unopened box dunno whether to unbox or not as i couldn't decide whether it would really improve my speed and coverage. If the end result is only marginal, then i think i'll just live with my current setup.

I had read that the true potential of this AC87 is that i had to pair with another AC87 in media bridge mode. Therefore my question to those who is using this setup, does this significantly improve the range and the speed? If it is, then i'll go get another AC87 to try.

But, may i ask if the AC87 is in the study room and the client AC87 is in the living room as a media bridge, how are they connected? Will it be still using homeplugs or wireless? Please dont advise me to hardwire the client cos it's going to mess up my home and it's impossible.

Thanks in advance so that i could make a decision to refund or get another AC87U tomorrow.

3stony

Reaction score
ASUS@SG

JK,

I'm also facing wireless connections issue.

I'm staying in sengkang area. 4 rm HDB. Squarish design.

The RT-AC87U is currently sitting in my study rm when I sign up singtel 200mpbs Home fibre recently (given aztech 7003) and where I replace my Dlink DSL-2740 meant for ADSL Broadband in the same location.

The only place was my master bedrm wireless. The study rm is separated by another rm then will be my master bedrm's door. During Dlink DSL-2740/ aztech 7003, wireless signal is very weak when door is closed with my iPhone 5s & Redmi receiving only with 1 bar but still able to surf the internet without waiting till fall asleep.

Thought this Asus RT-AC87U is the best router there could ever be right now in the market but when changed & configure with the latest firmware, it perform same as per Dlink/ Aztech but using Asus 5ghz wireless for iPhone 5s. To define, signal bar increase from 1 bar of dlink/ aztech to 2 bar of Asus but speed is also the same.....loading & loading...speedtest DL 9.something & UL 3.something.

Worst thing is my wife's Samsung note 2, mother-in-law's note 3, my Redmi wireless connection. Once door closed, the Asus 2.4ghz only managed to receive 1 bar which is the same as dlink/ aztech 7003 but speedtest only 0.something, never even reach 1

Everyone in my house was telling me, don't change better still. Wasted such money on things that can't worked.

My 5ghz settings
80mhz
149/ 161 channel

My 2.4ghz
20/ 40
Auto channel

OR

Auto/1/3 channel

These channel settings I have tried to change when I'm in the master bedrm. Some changed already signal strength will be poor with 0.something speedtest, some will have better signal but 0.something speedtest otherwise totally can't scan for any wireless signals.

Results are good when you are sitting right beside the router like around 70.something speedtest but that's not what we as consumers want. Most of us buy it as we need to have better range of wireless signals rather than using homeplugs & hoping to have much better speed when we are on fibre.

Please provide me a few solutions for me to consider.

For example: use back the aztech 7003 & have RT-ac87 as an access point?
or
replace AC-87u with AC-68/ 56?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.