[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

rapide

Reaction score
It sucks to be in your position! :)

At one hand, there's a spanking brand new router right in front of you but you know it's going to be a gamble. You can go ahead and tear open the package and get your fingers on your prized investment, but at the same time there's a likely chance you'll join us in the dumpster bandwagon. Based on the feedback you can see, it will most likely tilt towards the latter... unfortunately.

I seriously hope Asus root-cause the issue to a firmware bug which can just be fixed via an update and not something more serious like a hardware design issue with TDP. That could potentially explain the intermittent issues with the 5GHz band. Look at the Linksys WRT1900AC, it only has a 1.2GHz processor and they've already slapped a fan on it. Google the teardown and you can also see massive heatsinks within the WRT1900AC. With the 87U, they've got two dual-core CPU - without any active cooling mechanism.

Hi, got a problem.

I just bought 1 set of AC87U from challenger and im still considering whether to refund or exchange or not.
Im currently using AC68U which is located in the back end of my study room where the fibre point is. As my living room and study room is separated by a walkway hence the signal at the living room sucks. I had another RT-N12HP at the living room to act as a repeater. Its connected using 500Mbps Homeplug. I did this in order to have a better coverage throughout the house but as its in repeater mode, the speed suffers. Im using Singtel Fibre 300Mbps btw.

Today i saw this AC87 therefore i thought it could replace my AC68 and i bought it on impulse. Now still staring at the unopened box dunno whether to unbox or not as i couldn't decide whether it would really improve my speed and coverage. If the end result is only marginal, then i think i'll just live with my current setup.

I had read that the true potential of this AC87 is that i had to pair with another AC87 in media bridge mode. Therefore my question to those who is using this setup, does this significantly improve the range and the speed? If it is, then i'll go get another AC87 to try.

But, may i ask if the AC87 is in the study room and the client AC87 is in the living room as a media bridge, how are they connected? Will it be still using homeplugs or wireless? Please dont advise me to hardwire the client cos it's going to mess up my home and it's impossible.

Thanks in advance so that i could make a decision to refund or get another AC87U tomorrow.

henrywjkoh

Reaction score
It sucks to be in your position! :)

At one hand, there's a spanking brand new router right in front of you but you know it's going to be a gamble. You can go ahead and tear open the package and get your fingers on your prized investment, but at the same time there's a likely chance you'll join us in the dumpster bandwagon. Based on the feedback you can see, it will most likely tilt towards the latter... unfortunately.

I seriously hope Asus root-cause the issue to a firmware bug which can just be fixed via an update and not something more serious like a hardware design issue with TDP. That could potentially explain the intermittent issues with the 5GHz band. Look at the Linksys WRT1900AC, it only has a 1.2GHz processor and they've already slapped a fan on it. Google the teardown and you can also see massive heatsinks within the WRT1900AC. With the 87U, they've got two dual-core CPU - without any active cooling mechanism.
Can't resist the temptation so i tore open the package. Place it in my study to replace AC68 and i made the AC68 as another an access point. Keeping my fingers crossed and tested the speed and the speed somewhat doubled. Range wise still about the same but good thing is speed is faster.

I also tried to make the AC68 as a media bridge but performance wise lose to when it's an access point.

One more problem i encountered is that the 5ghz network is not found despite me restarting the router. I did a factory reset and its back online. And surprisingly i could achieve much faster speeds on my ipad and Android speedtest app.

No issues with NAT loopback after configuring the ports for my synology.

Anyway, i wonder if u should sell my AC68 to get another AC87 as reports all said that can get fantastic results.

Sent from GAGT Android App

ckh98258

Reaction score
Did you install latest wifi driver?

No issue on Intel AC, Sony Z1, Macbook Air and Iphone 6 plus.

Yes, mine already installed the latest AC driver. If only happened on my laptop I got nothing to say but same time my iPad mini, IP6 and other IP5 also can't detect it then it's not my devices issue.

poor_poor

Reaction score
Yes, mine already installed the latest AC driver. If only happened on my laptop I got nothing to say but same time my iPad mini, IP6 and other IP5 also can't detect it then it's not my devices issue.

Many people still don't know regard of Mac OS and IOS has problem with wireless..

Yosemite 10:10 - disconnect 5Ghz few times
Yosemite 10:11Beta - Claim to resolve 5Ghz, but still have problem.
Iphone IOS 8.0 - disconnect 5ghz few times
Iphone IOS 8.1 - Claim to resolve wireless, but still have problem.

You can read on the official Apple forums thread.

rapide

Reaction score
Guys:

How do you interpret such a message? - "No release news or schedule"

I think my brand loyalty just took a nosedive.

==========
Dear Valued Customer - rapide,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Service Care.

Here and RD team receive such feedback about AP mode will change IP settings after reboot.

Now they are researching and building new version firwmare for it.
(Temproary they have no release news or schedule for us)

Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you very much for your understanding

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know.
We will be more than happy to assist you. Thanks!

Thank you for your support Asus product. Wish you have a good day.
Best regards
Stephen
ASUS service center
====================

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys:

How do you interpret such a message? - "No release news or schedule"

I think my brand loyalty just took a nosedive.

==========
Dear Valued Customer - rapide,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Service Care.

Here and RD team receive such feedback about AP mode will change IP settings after reboot.

Now they are researching and building new version firwmare for it.
(Temproary they have no release news or schedule for us)

Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you very much for your understanding

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know.
We will be more than happy to assist you. Thanks!

Thank you for your support Asus product. Wish you have a good day.
Best regards
Stephen
ASUS service center
====================

That means, you can continue to strengthen your faith..

ckh98258

Reaction score
Many people still don't know regard of Mac OS and IOS has problem with wireless..

Yosemite 10:10 - disconnect 5Ghz few times
Yosemite 10:11Beta - Claim to resolve 5Ghz, but still have problem.
Iphone IOS 8.0 - disconnect 5ghz few times
Iphone IOS 8.1 - Claim to resolve wireless, but still have problem.

You can read on the official Apple forums thread.

iOS issue apart. Mine first detected by my Lenovo laptop running Windows 8.1 so very clearly it isn't iOS related anymore.

sutedy123

Reaction score
Do not believe too much in MU-MIMO technology which is not ready at all.
Worst is until today the client adapter which support AC2400 does not exist!
Compare cost of setting up LAN cables vs using multiple ac2400 router
(Asus RT87U or Netgear R8000), which is better and cost effective?

I rather wait for release of Asus RT-AC3200
RT-AC3200 6 Antenna 802.11AC Router – Computex 2014 | ASUS PC DiY | If you want it done right

Asus RT-AC87U Wi-Fi router review: This $270 802.11ac router is fast
Since there isn’t a client adapter on the market that fits that description, I configured a second RT-AC87U as a wireless bridge and tested it that way

ASUS RT-AC87U Dual-band Wireless-AC2400 Gigabit Router First Look - SmallNetBuilder
Although I am told that MU-MIMO is currently enabled in the router, there are no clients to test it with

Last edited:

poor_poor

Reaction score
Do not believe too much in MU-MIMO technology which is not ready at all.

FYI: In case you didn't know.. If you are using a smart phone on 4G LTE network then you are using MIMO technology.

4G LTE is using MIMO technology.

poor_poor

Reaction score
iOS issue apart. Mine first detected by my Lenovo laptop running Windows 8.1 so very clearly it isn't iOS related anymore.

hi Chk98258,

Please provide your device manger on your network tab and did you install all the Microsoft update?

poor_poor

Reaction score
It is the MU and not the MIMO that is not working la…

However, today the term “MIMO” usually refers to a method for multiplying the capacity of a radio link by exploiting multipath propagation.[1] This modern MIMO is an essential element of wireless communication standards such as IEEE 802.11n (Wi-Fi), IEEE 802.11ac (Wi-Fi), 4G, 3GPP Long Term Evolution, WiMAX and HSPA+.

MIMO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please correct me if i mislead information.

Last edited:

sutedy123

Reaction score
FYI: In case you didn't know.. If you are using a smart phone on 4G LTE network then you are using MIMO technology.

4G LTE is using MIMO technology.

You are referring to number 2 :

1. Asus RT87U AC-2400 as WIFI source and client is wireless usb adapter connected to a PC.
Which brand model support MU-MIMO and available for sale?
It does not exist until today.

2. 4G LTE as Mobile broadband source and client is mobile phone/tablet.
Which brand and model support it?

Here is explanation for number 1 :

MU-MIMO vs. XStream: The Coming Battle For Wi-Fi Airtime - Another Approach, The Choice - SmallNetBuilder

There is one more factor that will either muddy or clarify the upcoming choice between AC2350 and AC3200 routers—the (un)availability of MU-MIMO clients. MU-MIMO requires support on both router and client and requires new chipsets to support it. It's not simply a matter of releasing new firmware and drivers.
Further, the first Wi-Fi "plugfest" to check for MU-MIMO capability isn't scheduled until the end of this year and will possibly move into early 2015. And MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Certification isn't scheduled until mid-2015 and could possibly slip, too. So if product manufacturers choose to push ahead and ship MU-MIMO clients and if you choose to buy them, you'll be once again playing guinea pig and paying for the privilege.

As smart consumer should not be tricked by marketing gimmick numbers and buy it on impulse. I rather use LAN connection for time being until wireless technology and clients are in same technology else cannot enjoy max speed :D
So saad..:(

Last edited:

sutedy123

Reaction score
Of cos different lah.. alamak..
Both are different of course!:s13:

One is WIFI technology (fixed wireless connectivity) -> enjoy internet while you are staying in one place

and

one is 4G technology (mobile wireless connectivity) -> enjoy internet while you are travelling on road

mikengtw

Reaction score
Look like i will put on hold on RT-AC87 stick to my RT-AC68 for now.. which is still good for me. What
a waste Singtel send me the voucher to buy this AC87 , after reading this threads in the end thinking
was it worth it .

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.