[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I've been patient enough and very supportive to provide all the necessary info to identify the issue. But seems a lackluster of support from Asus technical team is just not a good experience for their product.

So goodbye Asus. :)

Thats true.. I'm now giving RMerlin's firmware a try.. if still cannot, I'll just dump it at marketplace and get a R8000.

But R8000 got support miotv?

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
for those who have disconnections on their asus87u on 5ghz,what I did was to change it from router mode to access point mode and I do not have the internet dropping issue already.

currently for new BTOs, normally people will put a gigabit router in the utility box and a better wireless router outside, for my case, its the ac87u. so when I run the ac87u in router mode, frequent drops in 5ghz...once on ap mode its ok.

but well, running on ap mode means I am not able to access the router page by the normal way through the browser.

Hmm..what is the normal way to access the router page? Can still access it via ip through browser ma. I'm doing it now.

Just set up a new ac87u as AP in my study. My fiancee said her 5ghz dropped , but personally don't use much wifi, need to monitor. Hope all goes well...

rapide

Reaction score
Thats true.. I'm now giving RMerlin's firmware a try.. if still cannot, I'll just dump it at marketplace and get a R8000.

But R8000 got support miotv?

Not sure about that but at least the R8000 plays nice with my other existing networking gear.

sutedy123

Reaction score
Bro, you're still hanging on to Asus?

I've dumped the 87U and replaced it with Netgear R8000 in my setup. No issues whatsoever with 5Ghz and good range as well. Life is short, get something that works for you and move on.

best regards

You made wrong decision. As I described in previous pages

MU-MIMO vs. XStream: The Coming Battle For Wi-Fi Airtime - Another Approach, The Choice - SmallNetBuilder
Asus RT87U MU-MIMO has failed because no client support up to now and Netgear R8000 also failed because it's actually old technology so both are marketing gimmicks :s22:

XStream's advertised 3200 Mbps link rate represents the addition of two 1300 Mbps maximum link rates for the 5 GHz radios and one 600 Mbps link rate for 2.4 GHz. So 1300 Mbps is the highest link rate you will see from any device connected to an AC3200 router.XStream is still fundamentally a 3x3 architecture.

I still believe AC1900 technology thus I'm using Netgear R7000 but beta firmware because official firmware always have problem.
http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153
Curious with R8000? read forum first
http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

NETGEAR R8000 Nighthawk X6 Review: Part 2 - SmallNetBuilder

AC1900 routers' 2.4 GHz average throughput, there is a definite clustering of results in the low-to-mid 90 Mbps range on downlink. Still, there is a significant difference (you sure? you mean 95Mbps and 87Mbps :D) between the retested original R7000 Nighthawk and the R8000 for downlink; not so much on uplink. Again marketing gimmick:(

The 5 GHz comparison finds a wider range of results. The big surprise here is that the R7000 does significantly better than the R8000 on downlink and uplink. We'll explore this further in the throughput vs. attenuation plots.

Last edited:

rapide

Reaction score
No right or wrong, again like I said - to each his own.
Get something that works for you :)

You made wrong decision. As I described in previous pages

MU-MIMO vs. XStream: The Coming Battle For Wi-Fi Airtime - Another Approach, The Choice - SmallNetBuilder
Asus RT87U MU-MIMO has failed because no client support up to now and Netgear R8000 also failed because it's actually old technology so both are marketing gimmicks :s22:

XStream's advertised 3200 Mbps link rate represents the addition of two 1300 Mbps maximum link rates for the 5 GHz radios and one 600 Mbps link rate for 2.4 GHz. So 1300 Mbps is the highest link rate you will see from any device connected to an AC3200 router.XStream is still fundamentally a 3x3 architecture.

I still believe AC1900 technology thus I'm using Netgear R7000 but beta firmware because official firmware always have problem.
R7000 - AC1900 Nighthawk - NETGEAR Forums
Curious with R8000? read forum first
R8000 - AC3200 Nighthawk X6 - NETGEAR Forums

NETGEAR R8000 Nighthawk X6 Review: Part 2 - SmallNetBuilder

AC1900 routers' 2.4 GHz average throughput, there is a definite clustering of results in the low-to-mid 90 Mbps range on downlink. Still, there is a significant difference (you sure? you mean 95Mbps and 87Mbps :D) between the retested original R7000 Nighthawk and the R8000 for downlink; not so much on uplink. Again marketing gimmick:(

The 5 GHz comparison finds a wider range of results. The big surprise here is that the R7000 does significantly better than the R8000 on downlink and uplink. We'll explore this further in the throughput vs. attenuation plots.

beetlez

Reaction score
Just gotten the RT-AC87U from M1.
Love it very much.

I renewed my M1 contract and upgraded to 1GBPS.

However, I could not get full potential of the 1GBPS from my old router, luckily the M1 folks are kind enough to let me have the option to purchase this router 1 week after I recontracted.

Anyway, here are my questions regarding this router.

1. Is there a way for me to enable SSH on the router? (I was using Buffalo with DD-WRT and was able to)

2. I seem to be able to create only 1 VPN client profile based on OpenVPN, however, the screen says up to 10 profiles. Is there something that I'm not doing correctly?

3. I am using DDNS to access my home IP Cam. Previously while using Buffalo with DD-WRT, I am able to access my IP Cam using the DDNS hostname when I'm within my home network. But now, I can't. I can only access my IP Cam with DDNS hostname using other network. Is there a setting somewhere for this?

Thanks!

oric1

Reaction score
Just gotten the RT-AC87U from M1.
Love it very much.

I renewed my M1 contract and upgraded to 1GBPS.

However, I could not get full potential of the 1GBPS from my old router, luckily the M1 folks are kind enough to let me have the option to purchase this router 1 week after I recontracted.

Anyway, here are my questions regarding this router.

1. Is there a way for me to enable SSH on the router? (I was using Buffalo with DD-WRT and was able to)

2. I seem to be able to create only 1 VPN client profile based on OpenVPN, however, the screen says up to 10 profiles. Is there something that I'm not doing correctly?

3. I am using DDNS to access my home IP Cam. Previously while using Buffalo with DD-WRT, I am able to access my IP Cam using the DDNS hostname when I'm within my home network. But now, I can't. I can only access my IP Cam with DDNS hostname using other network. Is there a setting somewhere for this?

Thanks!

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom firmware for Asus routers - SmallNetBuilder Forums

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
zoon said:
Hi

I'm participating in a betatest program for future FW-releases and I thought I'll share this beta with you guys.

RT-AC87U_3.0.1.4intel7260_378_0-gb8145c1.trx

It is meant to address a particular issue with the Intel 7260 and the Quantenna chipset. In my case regularly all packet flow stops but the wifi link is still up and running and everything appears to be fine.

I'm still testing it but so far the issue has not occurred with my Dell XPS 15 running the latest drivers.

According to zoon who posted on SNB forum, in AC87U official firmware thread, he has included a link to his dropbox to download the beta firmware. So far, I have tried it and it seems relatively stable for me. Will continue to monitor to see what new bugs there are, in the meantime I thought of sharing his contribution on this platform for users facing troubles with wireless performance..

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rceq7vhlo8i0wsl/RT-AC87U_3.0.1.4intel7260_378_0-gb8145c1.trx?dl=0

For your information, if you are wondering if this beta firmware is legal to be shared, zoon has clarified it to be. You might want to refer to here

kkboy1

Reaction score
What are the setting you guys use? I only get 1bar signal in all my room, I'm living in a normal 5 room bto flat, with the router at the db box, please help me on the setting to maximize the signal strength. Thanks

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Up for information regarding the ASUS RT-AC87U.

I will update accordingly when there is new information.

Asus are aware of Apple-specific issues with the RT-AC87U, and are currently working with Quantenna and Apple on the problem. This is why there hasn't been any new public release yet, they want to address this issue first.

arozario

Reaction score
Out of desperation, I have gone for the beta mentioned below.

Was about to throw this AC87 out the window, so thought I'd first give this a try. I've only been running it for a few hours, but so far so good. Haven't had a drop yet, so keeping my fingers crossed. Will update when I get my first 5ghz drop. One immediate change I have noticed is that I don't seem to have the issue of the disappearing 5ghz SSID anymore.

On the other website, it says to "perform a reset using the hard button, followed by a nvram reset using the wps button"

1. For the reset using the hard button, does this just mean putting a paper clip in that hole? Do I need to push the button for a certain amount of time?

2. For the the NVRAM reset, do I need to press the button for a certain amount of time?

3. What's the difference between these resets? Is it necessary to do both? I just went to look up the definition of NVRAM and went cross-eyed.

I assume this means I will need put in all my settings again? (though the only things i have changed are the wireless settings as recommended in this thread)

Last edited:

arozario

Reaction score
Just in addition to below, these are the benefits from the new beta I am noticing so far

1. No more disappearing 5ghz SSID
2. The range of the router is now working as expected. 4 rooms over from the router, I now have a stable connection even on 5ghz. I couldn't even surf websites before at that distance, but now I'm even getting 250mbps speedtest results consistently!

I am much happier with this. Going to play around with my apple tv tomorrow to see if those issues are also resolved.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Out of desperation, I have gone for the beta mentioned below.

Was about to throw this AC87 out the window, so thought I'd first give this a try. I've only been running it for a few hours, but so far so good. Haven't had a drop yet, so keeping my fingers crossed. Will update when I get my first 5ghz drop. One immediate change I have noticed is that I don't seem to have the issue of the disappearing 5ghz SSID anymore.

On the other website, it says to "perform a reset using the hard button, followed by a nvram reset using the wps button"

1. For the reset using the hard button, does this just mean putting a paper clip in that hole? Do I need to push the button for a certain amount of time?

2. For the the NVRAM reset, do I need to press the button for a certain amount of time?

3. What's the difference between these resets? Is it necessary to do both? I just went to look up the definition of NVRAM and went cross-eyed.

I assume this means I will need put in all my settings again? (though the only things i have changed are the wireless settings as recommended in this thread)

I just had my first drop of 5Ghz. Can connect to router wirelessly at full strength but no/poor speed. Just rebooted my router and it works fine now.

Comparing to multiple drops per hour using the previous firmware, only 1 time in 15hrs is considered not bad. will also continue to monitor.

Regarding your questions about reset and resetting nvram, i think the difference is that reset merely puts back the default values into the shell while clearing nvram removes any remnant traces of previous firmware and load it with current firmware details..

Not sure if i am right..

beetlez

Reaction score
Thanks.. and i thought there aren't any WRT firmware for this router.

Will give it shot and update later.

Great!

I have SSHD enabled.

This firmware allows me to configure 2 VPN server (wonder why the need to do that) and also 2 VPN client.

Solved 2 of my problems.

But I still cannot access my IP Cam using the DDNS hostname from within my home network.

Is there something that I need to configure?

Any experts there to help?

Thanks!

tormont

Reaction score
I have just gotten AC87U yesterday. Anyone has any idea why my upload speed (10-14Mbps) seem to be rather low compared to the download speed (50Mbps) when i'm on the 2.4ghz. On 5Ghz band, i can receive around 100-120Mbps using a n-client, but similarly the upload speed is pretty disappointing, only around 50-60Mbps. Any one having the same issue or have any idea how to resolve this? Is this normal?

I have tried placing my laptop side by side with the router, i can receive around 210Mbps download speed and 180Mbps upload speed using the 5Ghz band. Around 90Mbps download speed and 80Mbps upload on the 2.4Ghz one.

Additionally, the router is placed in the centre of the house, which is in the living room. The speed mentioned at the beginning are all tested in my room.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

oric1

Reaction score
Great!

I have SSHD enabled.

This firmware allows me to configure 2 VPN server (wonder why the need to do that) and also 2 VPN client.

Solved 2 of my problems.

But I still cannot access my IP Cam using the DDNS hostname from within my home network.

Is there something that I need to configure?

Any experts there to help?

Thanks!

I suggest you post at SNB Forum (Asuswrt-Merlin), I'm sure you'll be able to get your answer there.

Asuswrt-Merlin - SmallNetBuilder Forums

The_King

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can anyone advise?

ASUS RT-AC87U Review: Part 2 - Stress Test - SmallNetBuilder

quote"Even more interesting is that the Quantenna SoC has its own directly-connected Gigabit Ethernet port. So Ethernet traffic to port 1 (if my interpretation of the board photo supplied by RMerlin and shown in Part 1 is correct), has to travel through two RGMII ports to get to the WAN or ports 2-4. "

does that mean port 1 will be slower since it have to passby two RGMII ports to reach the main processor, where port 2 to 3 is directly connected to the main processor?

thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.