Status
Not open for further replies.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

rachdanon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Long time no see everyone ;) Had been really really busy with work. Was even down with flu and had to miss some watch events and put aeroplane to some of the bros here. really very pai sey...... In the past week something happened which I thought I'd share. Really exhausted from work here so pardon me for the lousy story telling.

In my work I have interns. This particular young man was assigned to me (he was awaiting enlistment) and I have been most impressed with him. Extremely high IQ and EQ, and most of all he was very very humble. One thing bugged me though - he would leave the office right on the dot (never go out with us) and would spend his lunch sleeping in the office most of the time.
You probably guessed it; he was born into poverty. He would leave the office right on time to go for his next job which would only end close to midnight (better not reveal too much here). Both parents are sick and unemployed; and he has a number of siblings. The consolation is that all siblings are doing very well in top JCs (all on financial aid), and he and an older brother are working to support the family. When I brought the interns out with me to do charity work on weekends he would always be the one putting in the most effort and enthusiasm.

I was chatting with my wife about this fine young man when I felt like buying him a G-shock for his NS. My G-shock served me very well during my NS and I felt he should have one too. When I was trying to find out more about his family I realized he was surfing the net looking at Seiko divers. So I showed him my photobucket album and he was mesmerized by my Seiko white mini monster (yes the one I bought from Gaoxing for my cousin but ended up as mine). He asked if he could buy it because he cannot afford a brand new one, so I told him just pay what he was comfortable with, and he said $90 without the bracelet.
I brought them out for supper. He told me he had never eaten kway chup before so I ordered the biggest share of kway chup for him until his eyes popped out hahahaha......Then I gave him the watch, and I told him the bracelet was free-of-charge. His eyes were gleaming like a little boy receiving his dream toy and then he dug out from his wallet the $90 to pay me.

I think at this point everyone here would have done what I did - I refused his payment.

I told him he deserves it and I'm very happy the watch has found an owner who loves it much more than I do. I also told him his family needs the $90 for his parents' medical bill so the watch is a gift from me to him because I saw my younger self in him, and how I worked hard to pull myself out of poverty.
His eyes were wet, and he kept thanking me profusely. He promised to pay me once he gets his next pay check but I told him to only pay me the money when he earns his first million dollars. He's got tremendous potential; I am very certain he will make it.

I think it's amazing how much joy (and probably inspiration) we can bring into a person's life if we just be a little more observant and caring. I think tonight we will both sleep with smiles on our faces, but my smile will definitely be bigger than his.

Goodbye, white mini monster. Glad that you have found a new and more loving owner :)

That is a watch story I'll remember. Yes, we need more bosses like you. I got a great boss too and I'm grateful for her. I'm also encouraged to be a boss with a heart too especially to those who work hard, give their best.

$ingaporean

Reaction score
this is a really nice piece of work, and looks great in pictures. but is really quite loud. i have one in the storeroom literally "like new in box" from about 4-5 years back, maybe because of the working environment back then.

last time i took a look a look was maybe a year ago. totally forgot about it til now. maybe its time to dig it out :)

I was at tha sale today. The tag heuer watches are quite tempting, especially thr monaco.

Saw the gulf monaco calibre 16 and some calibre 11 which are about 1k more.

I tried them but realised they fit too thick and big on my puny wrist. Otherwise i would grab one.

$ingaporean

Reaction score
this is a really nice piece of work, and looks great in pictures. but is really quite loud. i have one in the storeroom literally "like new in box" from about 4-5 years back, maybe because of the working environment back then.

last time i took a look a look was maybe a year ago. totally forgot about it til now. maybe its time to dig it out :)

A little bit more digging show this watch listed as 8k plus, but today at dickson, it is 10k plus with 50 pct sale. Hmmm.... really got discount?

Tag Heuer, 39mm "Monaco Gulf" L. Edition of 2500pcs Chronograph in Steel | Passions Watch Exchange - Singapore 2nd Hand Watch Dealer

kokjj87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For less than $200?! Good price sia. I never really been to Mustafa before. Can direct any specific level or corner I can find it?

If I do get it, I am thinking to change out the metal strap. Any suggestions???

Yup.. plus this is quite a new model too.. :D

Its at the level one of Mustafa centre. You can go there see see look look first. The prices for their seiko watches are pretty good!

You can swap out the metal strap with any strap with the lug width of 24mm.

Can ask the bro here to see if they have any recommendation?

FaNtAsIuM

Reaction score
Some of the monaco i saw today at the dickson sale.
wuRccWw.jpg

wxJcjjB.jpg

cFGEhCv.jpg

rboyboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Let me post my humble Seiko. Tried taking with a different camera setting. :) HAGWE!

20141118_101142_HDR.jpg

arctuates

Reaction score
Lovely Delfin. On the fence as I've committed to the Helberg CH8 already, but I got a Bluering for my dad and I've been watching Halios closely ever since. With the right strap choice the Delfin will really shine, I think. Happy to take that off your hands if you ever decide to sell..

rachdanon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

yukari_san3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Yattokame

how can you tell he has high eq/iq. what do you look out for?

I'm hoping to be a good judge of a person as well.

yattokame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Yattokame

how can you tell he has high eq/iq. what do you look out for?

I'm hoping to be a good judge of a person as well.

i dun think anyone can be a good judge of others because we dont know what the others have gone thru in life.
I have seen some real arrogant *******s but when they are doing volunteer/charity stuff they are the kindest saints ever. I have seen some seemingly nice rich folks who wouldn't even give 20cents for a flag day and proclaims the needy are poor because they are lazy (don't mean to judge but most of these are bankers).

He picks up the ropes of the trade very very quickly and is able to understand the background relationship and causality of almost everything. That I'd say is IQ. Other interns even go to him for help on certain systems.

He is very very well-liked by everybody, from the cleaning aunties to the supervisors. He would take a bit of time to greet the aunties and uncles everyday and make them laugh.

On another note, maybe he is just putting up a front for the past few weeks. But then he would have done a darn good job at it.

EQ is an intangible asset that comes with feel bah.

anyway these are my two cents. And what I have gathered through my own life.

a562140

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys, ur delfin comes with the ss bracelet? cos jason informed that buyers who wan the ss bracelet to deliver with the watch have to wait..

issues with the thread screws. for pre-orders jason shipped with a free nato, bracelet shipped separately.

i think he lost money on this move but kudos to him to ensure that customers gets the watch as early as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.