[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

ckh98258

Reaction score
I'm on AC 7260 network card and during my speedtest notice this unusual result. My DL speed only 56Mbps but my DL speed can hit up to 250Mbps. Is my card faulty?

tormont

Reaction score
I'm on AC 7260 network card and during my speedtest notice this unusual result. My DL speed only 56Mbps but my DL speed can hit up to 250Mbps. Is my card faulty?

u done the speedtest beside your router or from a distance away?

ckh98258

Reaction score
u done the speedtest beside your router or from a distance away?

Done in one of my room not far away from router. During the DL speedtest it n started from high Mbps then slowly decelerate and end with 50+ Mbps final result.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Up for information if you on VQ 1Gbps and not getting this on ASUS RT-AC87U.

My viewqwest just upgraded to 1gb plan but I wire connect to ac87u only speedtest 460mb/s,

Without router pc direct wire to ONT can get 920mb/s.

The cable between ONT and ac87u changed 3 time still the same.

firmware also updated.

anyone can help me?

Do list down the various settings that you have applied on the ASUS RT-AC87U. So peeps can advise you accordingly like what ViewQwest Andr3wyong has posted some.

Update to latest firmware then reset to defaults.

Ensure IPv6 is disabled, Trend Micro disabled, QoS disabled, CTF level2 enabled.

ASUS RT-AC87U is more than capable of delivering 1Gbps VQ download/upload as shown on my speedtest results.

The_King

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can anyone advise?

ASUS RT-AC87U Review: Part 2 - Stress Test - SmallNetBuilder

quote"Even more interesting is that the Quantenna SoC has its own directly-connected Gigabit Ethernet port. So Ethernet traffic to port 1 (if my interpretation of the board photo supplied by RMerlin and shown in Part 1 is correct), has to travel through two RGMII ports to get to the WAN or ports 2-4. "

does that mean port 1 will be slower since it have to passby two RGMII ports to reach the main processor, where port 2 to 3 is directly connected to the main processor?

thanks

anyone help with this?

thanks

bolasutra

Reaction score
Can RT-AC87U configure as Access Point? If this is possible, how should I do it?

To configure Access Point, do I connect via WAN or LAN port?

Last edited:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Can RT-AC87U configure as Access Point? If this is possible, how should I do it?

To configure Access Point, do I connect via WAN or LAN port?

Dear bolasutra,

Access Point - Plug in LAN cable into LAN Port.

How to configure:

Administration> Operation Mode > Select Access Point(AP) mode> Press Save

Best regard,
JK

bolasutra

Reaction score
Dear bolasutra,

Access Point - Plug in LAN cable into LAN Port.

How to configure:

Administration> Operation Mode > Select Access Point(AP) mode> Press Save

Best regard,
JK

For the IP address of my MBR Wireless AP, should I configure static IP in the same network segment in Aztech Mio Router?

ancientczx

Reaction score
Hi Gents!

My family just got a RT-AC87U router but still isn't very satisfied with it's range. We placed the router in the living room and you can only receive a good full bar if you're near the door of the bedroom, however, once you walk in a few more steps, the connection drops to 1 bar or none.

Mean time, only solution is to use our old setups of powerline adapters, but those only bottleneck the speed as we only have 500mbps versions of those.

We are thinking of using our old RT-N65U as a repeater/bridge. Anyone knows if it's possible and how may we go about doing it?

Cheers!

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

does anyone know if I can attach the Asus WL-ANT-157 Antenna to the AC87U? Thanks. :)

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice, I didn't know Asus got such antenna. I will give it a try. :D

its a directional antenna instead of an omni-directional one.. therefore a bit not useful if you r planning to use it as an omni-directional coverage..

bolasutra

Reaction score
I finally got the Asus RT-AC87U Sitex and with a good price. It's sleek and blend in my TV console.

My firmware is 3.0.0.4.376_2769. Here are some of my feedback and queries.

1) I have used that black network cable (comes with box) to connect from RT-AC87U WAN port to ONT. Is this black network cable cat6?

2) Formerly, Aztech download speed is 156.13Mbps and upload speed is 160.55Mbps. Now, Asus download speed is 47.65Mbps and upload speed 55.99Mbs. What has went wrong now?

Need advice how to maximum my Asus performance?

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
What's the better firmware out currently? I bought mine in September IT show, only just unboxed. The 2.4ghz performance, just 1 wall away, has full bar but performance is subpar. Feels weird, like latency, the webpages have to wait a little before connecting and loading.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.