Buffetlicious! The All You Can Eat Buffet thread - Part 6

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone can comment on Starking bbq? My friend bought the groupon and we are going this weekend.

Btw, is it near any mrt station? The nearest seem to be either Tanjong Pagar or telok ayer station, but still quite a distance away...

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am going to try marriot next saturday, just like to ask how was marriot compare with claymore ?

Go with an open mind :s13:

Why need to ask cos everybody's opinion is going to be different anyway?

duriand24

Reaction score
After hearing and reading many rave reviews on The Line at Shangrila, I finally have an opportunity to concur the place to kill my curiosity. It was very crowded on a weekday dinner, most tables were booked for Company event as it was so noisy! Some tables even started playing games! The place is massive and very "orange", ambience looks good but I think all these were killed by the "parties". The server in charge of our area told me in the month of Dec, they experienced about 400 customers per dinner day whilst during other days, it's only about 200 pax. Gosh, Shangrila must be earning tons!

Back to the most important topic, the spread and the quality of the food. As usual, I have some pictures to share with all.

https://storeandshare.singtel.com/link/view/LwJRGZKQjurAUxPD/

Hmmm ... where should I start? Well, perhaps the conclusion first to break the norm. I was a little disappointed with the place and the food. It has a good spread and a lot of varieties but I wasn't really impressed with the quality. The seafood station is a doom but I am comparing it with 10@Claymore and yesterday was not their seafood night, more of international night. Their other cooked food doesn't impress me either, I will opt for Peony Jade anytime or even XJN! Yes, I tried the fried rice but I prefer XJN's better! They also have the broccoli with crab meat and I prefer the XJN's combination with the steamed eggs, mix with the special sauces prepared by Toons! There is an Indian station but I did not try any of the food. Besides the Indian station is the noodles station that serves laksa, prawn noodles, wanton mee, roast duck and roast pork. I tried all except the wonton noodles. I must say the laksa broke our traditional believe that we cannot find good tasty laksa in hotels! It is really good, for this, I am surprised! I noticed there is very little meat served, no lamb nor beef, just roast pork. The dessert station has good varieties than other restaurant's buffets, with many pastries and cakes, they even have nonya kueys. There were also fruits which I like. There is a drinks station that serves all types of after meal beverages.

The good thing about The Line is that it ensures freshness of the food as they have people at the station to prepare the food on the spot and put it on the tray. For example, people opening the oysters, cooking the pastas, grilling the satays and preparing the tandoori, cutting vegetables for the salad, boiling noodles for the laksa and prawn noodles, scooping the ice-cream, and preparing the hot beverages. If not because of the crowd, I think the ambience is quite good.

Because Shangrila is so heap and hype, it makes us wanting to go there for the atmosphere and the environment. There is so much talk about The Line at Shangrila that we have to go there to experience it. But I am not sure how many will make a return visit. For me, probably not for a little while ... if it's free, maybe. :p

duriand24

Reaction score
Go with an open mind :s13:

Why need to ask cos everybody's opinion is going to be different anyway?
My signature says it all! :s22: Just like now I am actually a little disappointed with the Line at Shangrila. Maybe there are so much good reviews that I went there with some expectation.

zacqueliin

Master Member
Reaction score
More details?

Budget, english type of food like scrones, or local stuff? Loc?

Which pan pac? Which restaurant in grand hyatt?

Assuming you referring to Edge n Straits Kitchen, then its Edge > Straits Kitchen for me.

Not sure. Saw hyatt have a xmas buffet.. and edge have buy 3 free 1

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My signature says it all! :s22: Just like now I am actually a little disappointed with the Line at Shangrila. Maybe there are so much good reviews that I went there with some expectation.

Did I mention that I wasn't impressed by The Line at all? Hahah

Yes, I did say there was variety but that's about it...hahah

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Good reviews? Err, like Carey mentioned, the good thing there is the big spread. But tat might not be a good thing afterall cos you end up have to go through more chaff to get to the gems :s13:

duriand24

Reaction score
The good reviews were what I read from the bloq and other websites. In doing so, came across another placed called Todai at the Marina Bay Sands, touted to have the kind of spread longer than The Line. Anyone tried before?

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, unless it's free or got 1 for 1, else I suggest dun bother with todai. Their sashimi n seafood not bad though. Hot food I dun like. However, I have had very nice roasted meats there before, but it's only once.

Last edited:

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
Quite true indeed. There is also another popular food blogger who eats and shoots. Well, i find many of his recommendations questionable. Quite the contrary, what he rates as average turns out to be pretty good instead. :s8:

Lol. The "journalistic" integrity of a lot of these food review sites are questionable. Most will just post the nice things n not mention anything about the bad. Got 1 can even say the food nice, then say that it does not mean that he/she is recommending the place when someone commented that the place sucks. Pengz. Wanna be politically correct n not offend the restaurant, in case no more media invites the future? Hehe.

I just read them once in a while for the nice pics n top get a rough idea of the spread/theme.

xberri

Reaction score
Buffet @ Cafe 2000, M Hotel

Went for dinner on a weekday night.
The "Festive Seafood Extravaganza Buffet"
I apologize for the terrible quality of photos in advance.

tumblr_ng3wkrn0hW1tm6y5mo1_1280.jpg

Bread counter, steamed fish, honey baked ham + chestnut stuffing + char siew turkey (christmas special, probably) and roasted beef.

Only stupid people go for the bread in buffets (me). They have 2 choice of butterxmargarine, the soft brand one (salted) and anchor (unsalted, lchf fans rejoice). Many people went for the steamed fish surprisingly. I tried some and found it to be average tasting though. Their honey baked ham and chestnut stuffing is average, but jiang noms on the thick slice of ham damn songz. The char siew turkey was a waste of calories.

Had several plates of roasted beef, cooked at medium. The consistency wasn't there. Sometimes it felt more well done than medium, sometimes it was medium rare. Since it was thinly sliced I guess it cooled down pretty fast so be sure to devour your beef within a minute lmfao.

tumblr_ng3wkrn0hW1tm6y5mo2_1280.jpg

Salad bar, sushixsashimi, seafood pasta and siobaks.

Not shown in the pictures, but there were actually 3 types of cheese provided. Sushi spread is miserable, I know. Anyway, salmon sashimi was good but nothing worth raving about. Also, the sashimis wasn't replenished quickly during the peak hours so....

So what you do at the pasta corner is that you take whatever you want in a plate, pass it over to the guy behind the counter and come back in 5 minutes. They had 3 different types of sauces to choose from, one being the chilli crab sauce, tomato, and the last which I unfortunately cannot remember. Tried the pasta with the chilli crab sauce and I must say I like it!

SIOBAKS WAS SO SO SO SO GOOD. Right balance of fattiness and crispiness. Nuff said. Also, there was this pot of chilli crab along with the mantou. Tried the sauce of the chilli crab with the mantou.. chilli? Not sure if it's sweet sauce of chilli. Abort mission of eating chilli crab. Tried the steamed crabs though. So sweet and good! Oh there was roast duck too. Mediocre... If yan chuan roaster's duck is a 8, then this is a 2-3. OH OH OH there was satay too. Mediocre as well but idk why the couple beside my table keep spamming the satay. Siao weh.

tumblr_ng3wkrn0hW1tm6y5mo3_1280.jpg

Beef stew, seafood corner, slippery lobsters and yeah crab.

Beef stew was average. Didn't go back for seconds. The oysters were apparently a big hit with diners. Wiped out so quickly. Replenishment at a sad pace as usual. My companion commented that the oysters wasn't bad.

This slippery lobster is da bomb. 8/10, one of the better food selection out there. Black pepper huans, the gravy is good, the lobster is good. Must try!

tumblr_ng3wkrn0hW1tm6y5mo4_1280.jpg

Moving on to the incredibly limited selection of desserts. Ya got ice kachang station, some ice krim and a sad sad variety of cake that would make any dessert lover weep.

Ice krim was good. The chocolate and vanilla flavored ones had a rich flavour, leaving you wanting seconds. I like the green tea ones! :s12:

The cheese cake here was one of the worst I've tasted. I'm gonna cry. The cakes here aren't worth eating. Walau where's the log cake? Boh leh! Kana con. Also there's a chocolate fountain with a standard selection of fruit, marshmallow etc. Some chinese desserts like kuehs were also spotted (nobody took and it looked so lonely lmfao).

---------

Overall I spent about $130 for 2pax. Without the 20% discount (go read up on your own on the website ah), it would've been $160 or so. Considering the miserable spread and the quality of dishes, $65/pax was not worth it, let alone $80. Will I return again? Not in foreseeable future, but maybe with the $50 deals on groupon/deals.com. Maybe.

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never try the durian paste? Most ppl will find out nice.

Btw, why lchf peeps like anchor butter?

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The good reviews were what I read from the bloq and other websites. In doing so, came across another placed called Todai at the Marina Bay Sands, touted to have the kind of spread longer than The Line. Anyone tried before?

I have been there a couple of times...

Each time is worse than the previous one...hahah

Again, they have a lot of variety but nothing special =:p

xberri

Reaction score
Never try the durian paste? Most ppl will find out nice.
Btw, why lchf peeps like anchor butter?

ooh i no rike durians! But my companion did try and didn't go for seconds so what do you think? :s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.